Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Germans introduce €2500 scrappage on 9 year old cars

Options
  • 13-01-2009 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

The Germans are bringing in a scrappage deal for cars over 9 years old...
    plus a 2,500 euros payment for scrapping a car older than nine years and buying a new vehicle.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7825513.stm

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say that its more about protecting their motor industry rather than getting rid of old un-green cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kbannon wrote: »
    I'd say that its more about protecting their motor industry rather than getting rid of old un-green cars.
    You think?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They should call it a "recycling credit" that way it appears more green:pac:

Will also make people feel less guilty if they think their car will be recycled and more willing to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I am guessing a large percentage of car purchases in Germany are local brands.

If the US did something similar everyone would just buy foreign cars so wouldn't benefit Ford/GM/Chrysler.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

who cares? Some people get the nice shiney new cars they want, some 1000's of others get to keep their jobs a little longer.

What's wrong with that ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

McSpud wrote: »
    I am guessing a large percentage of car purchases in Germany are local brands.

If the US did something similar everyone would just buy foreign cars so wouldn't benefit Ford/GM/Chrysler.

Pretty much, I very rarely see a Jap car here. I did see a Mk1 Colt yesterday in absolute mint condition, it stuck out like a sore thumb to be honest.

About 90% of the cars here are German, French and Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

galwaytt wrote: »
    who cares? Some people get the nice shiney new cars they want, some 1000's of others get to keep their jobs a little longer.

What's wrong with that ?

It would be more environmentally friendly to keep the cars going for as long as they can rather than spend huge amounts of energy making new cars.

It would be a shame to crush/recycle perfectly good 9-year old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Is recycling older cars not a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Is recycling older cars not a good thing?

Better than letting it rot but using the car would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

that and making sure theirs no future classics :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

S.I.R wrote: »
    The death knell for thousands of Mark 1 Golfs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

S.I.R wrote: »

You won't HAVE to scrap it you know:rolleyes:
    The death knell for thousands of Mark 1 Golfs. :mad:

It's a conspiracy I tell ya:p