Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black toolbars and windows problem from changing theme - Problem!!

• 13-01-2009 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I noticed a whileago that my Windows XP machine started up with a classic theme instead of my usual XP green theme.
    I hadn't bothered to change it back till recently, but upon changing it I got all black toolbars and windows. I should mention that when switching to the XP theme the preview did not include any sample of a window and when looking at the classic preview there was nothing but black with a tiny bit of white in the bottom righ corner. When I switched to the XP theme all of my windows, taskbars/toolbars went totally black. I can't seem to fudge my way through to the themes menu and get it to switch back at all. It seems to me that some required information is missing to display things correctly. All I can see when opening windows are some (not all) icons and the black box where there should be a window with text and stuff in it.

Need to get into it ASAP to get to my project for college and get it going again!!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Virus and Malware Removal, as I don't think that would be an issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It doesn't look anything like the little inset in the middle of the attached pic by any chance?

if it does, go back into display properties, go for the appearance tab and see if "Windows and buttons" is set to "windows xp style".

Of course it could be so and the theme could still have been edited by the invisible gremgnomes but if the above is as it should be it's more likely to be a different problem if only on the basis of probability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you can have "pretty" or "Reliable and Compatible"

Some programs simply don't work on anything other than Windows Classic mode.

Skins etc is a badly developed afterthought built on top of Windows default colours editing.

For best reliablility and performance I ALWAYS set to Classic Win98/NT look and disable the Themes Service in Start | Run | services.msc

I do have drop shadow on icon text as that seems to not break anything. However some Graphics drivers don't render it, which is odd.

It sounds like you have lost some "jazzy" Themes/Skins files and/or permissions and that the aforementioned "evil" Themes service may not be running.

Advertisement