Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can it be..........

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

whom I could not understand one word she said.

lol! good review tho flutt, any positives at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if Foley will resist the temptation to give you a name chack tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

tbh wrote: »
    lol! good review tho flutt, any positives at all?

Not really ,news inserts were fairly detailed, but nothing to do with the actual programme.

I did point out it's not my genre by a long shot.

Shudder to think of those who think it's good, but I'm sure there must be some.

Each to his/her own I suppose.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Like the Flutt I hadn't heard show before but tuned in between 12 and 1 too for research purposes.

Holy god this isn't just a sham but a NATIONAL sham. 3 numpties straight from the Alan Partridge school of broadcasting. Light entertainment does have a place on the airwaves. A lot of people don't want to be challenged or enlightened each time they turn the radio on and that is absolutely fair enough but this is dross.

Well highlighted Bancini...good OP post (if wrong in tarring all stations).

This is NATIONAL? Really?!

This shower of testing children should contact Monkeyfudge and go back to the start and learn how to handle a light entertainment show properly on one of the courses his station runs.
    (PS Monkey I'll PM when I get chance to investigate your offer more).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mike65 wrote: »
    I wonder if Foley will resist the temptation to give you a name chack tomorrow?

I won't be tuning in to find out I can assure you.

My last word is that Foley himself is probably talented and capable enough.

The format of the thing !!!! Frikken twenty years old hacked and kicked from every station from Vladivostok to Montevideo...Jeesh, words fail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

this is a good idea - we should get some noobs to listen to shows we like/dislike, and see what they think. Who wants Mooney? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Join the anti-Ray Foley Show movement on Facebook!!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=16895004438

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I like Ray Foley. No nastiness in him. Plays upbeat music. Has a bit of banter with the staff around him similar to most work places. The livelunches are good. I dislike 2FM. To me that is a moronic station.

keep it up Ray.

Peace and love....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Deedsie wrote: »
    No nastiness in him. Plays upbeat music. Has a bit of banter with the staff around him similar to most work places. The livelunches are good. I dislike 2FM. To me that is a moronic station.

keep it up Ray.

You are of course entitled to that opinion, but can you really judge whether there is 'nastiness' in a person simply from listening to a radio show?

Personally, I've no opinion on the chaps personality one way or the other, I just think his show is terribly terribly unfunny.

Now THAT you can judge from listening.
    Deedsie wrote: »
    Peace and love....

Except to the morons who like (and work at) 2fm, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I might not be Rays biggest fan but that is nasty.

There is a line that should be drawn and the anti Foley brigade will do themselves no favours with this facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Firstly, thanks and top review Flutt. :):D
    tbh wrote: »
    this is a good idea - we should get some noobs to listen to shows we like/dislike, and see what they think. Who wants Mooney? ;)

Ah... that would have to be someone who religiously listens to music radio, someone who doesn't stray too far from Spin or Dublin's 98. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Bancini

A line trotted out vacantly by followers, much in the same vein as "I vos simply followink Orders" , which got repeated usage during the Nuremberg trials.

Much in the same way also that an annoying barfly who ends every half-arsed, opinionated & offensive comment with "Only Jokin!" is not actually telling jokes , repeatedly saying something is a 'bit of fun' does not necessarily make it so. It probably makes it less so, really.

That strapline seemed to be a calculated addition to the show for the purpose of self defence, but really, it's weak as a cover-all (anything that openly insinuates if you don't like it, you don't get it is dubiously humorous in the first place) , and it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It'd be fine if people's complaints were along the lines of :

"I was disappointed that the Ray Foley show didn't cover the Israeli assault on Gaza in-depth this afternoon"

Well then "Ah, its just a bit of fun for your lunchtime , nothing too serious " would be a perfectly acceptable riposte.

However, people aren't complaining because the show shuns serious topics, they are complaining because the show repeatedly attempts comedy, despite a vast number of people thinking it really isn't funny, so the repeated mantra doesn't work.

"The Show wasn't funny today. I didn't find any of it remotely amusing."
    "Ah, its just a bit of fun for your lunchtime , nothing too serious "
    "Yes, but it wasn't fun. There was an embarrassing sketch, some poorly thought out efforts at topical humour, and scant originality in either"
    "But it wasn't funny! The end joke (part of a routine which has also been performed regularly elsewhere) was delivered in a manner of a partially sighted man reading aloud a solicitors letter in a language he'd just learned. It wasn't funny."
    "Oh for Christ's sake...."

See? Doesn't work.

Sorry. You'll have to contact him by text or email if you want a mention on the show. He only references these pages when having bitter, seething Vietnam flashbacks, fantasising, no doubt, about "getting" us all.

Excellent post. Bravo to you. I'm presuming you work in the written word???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

No. As much as I agree with the sentiment myself, as pointed out above, that kind of aggravated statement is a bit harsh, and invariably ends up as a :

"You're stupid."

"No. YOU'RE stupid"

playground debate.

(Although it IS amusing to see several Foleyistas joining the group simply to hurl abuse at the group owner and, as if spurred on by the earlier mention here, re-iterate the "Its only a bit of fun for your lunchtime. Nothing too serious" moronic mantra ad nauseam ... "We are all individuals!" :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

disc wrote: »
    I like ray foley , i find him funny and lighthearted . as they saying goes "its just a bit of fun for your lunchtime , nothing to serious "

i listen most days , at times he can drag on about something agreed, but when you look at national radio in this country its not exactly the best

2fm is prob the worse lately and when you compare ray to anything else on national radio , he would def. be at the top of the list.

By the way i think anyone who would come on to a forum aand run down someone is just bitter. I have worked in the radio industry and it is full of backstabbing that is unreal .

If Ray foley does read this . i would just like to say

Ray " love the show"

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

I would be be no fan of Ray Foley. But answer me this, how did he get the NATIONAL gig? Also if he so bad, how did he win an Meteor award?

There must be some reason why he has gotten to where he is at. Somebody must like what he does.

And Westlife have sold millions of albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Couldn't agree more. Ray Foley and his sidekicks are painful to listen to. He used to work with a friend of mine on Dublin pirate radio and I don't remember him being anything like he is on Today Fm.. They lifted him from Spin as far as I remember? Why? :rolleyes:

Rick O' Shea is another pain in the arse. Luckily I don't have to listen to either anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

And Westlife have sold millions of albums.
    What is your point? Cos thats a big stretch to compare westlife to ray foley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Point being that being successful in ones niche doesn't necessarily equate to being talented or universally adored?

Not my opinion, just an answer to a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Well like just about everyone in Irish broadcasting, he hasn't a creative bone in his body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

What is your point? Cos thats a big stretch to compare westlife to ray foley.

Lots of people like Westlife, it doesn't mean they're any good though, does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Well like just about everyone in Irish broadcasting, he hasn't a creative bone in his body.

So when is your interview with Communicorp for their Group PD Europe job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

its is just a bit of fun for your lunch time......get over it:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Some people like to keep their lunch in their stomachs though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,279 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You could just do what I do when I listen to the radio, ignore all the talky text in bits and just listen to the flipping music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

or you could just not listen to the shows you dont like.its pretty simple really..i cant stand celeb big brother so i dont leave on channel 4 or e4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've already had one warning regarding my comments on a similar thread so all I'll say is that I don't like the show so don't listen to it. Ray Foley (aka psuedo Chris Moyles) may not like it, but it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Advertisement