Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22LR semi to .17 machII-Can the Action take the change.

Options
  • 13-01-2009 3:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I have a little 22lr semi automatic and i want to fit a new barrel thats chambered on .17 machII (while there still making it)

I'm concerned(after reading some reports) that the weight of the sliding block in conjunction with the strength of the spring are insufficient to properly and safely operate the firearm.

The power output of 17hm2 is similar to that of high to hyper velocity 22 ammo i.e circa 160ft/lbs..(........Wiki)

The user's manual claims that in rifles chambered for .17hm2, the action will work successfully with any standard .17hm2 ammo. But i have yet to read of any one with such a barrel..i would fell thats this is a custom thing as the hm2 ammo never really took off like they expected..

Has any got any thoughts on this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

What type of rifle is it? If its a ruger 1022 there was a thread on here already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Its a marlin with the famous 60 action. its a 70pss

In the case of the ruger, the conversion kit consists of a barrel and heavier bolt which is necessary for the action to cycle.

I assume you would need to source a heavier bolt for the marlin, in addition to the barrel

Maybe.. but seeing as it impossible to find a .17hm2 aftermarket barrel for the above i might not have to worry about this..

It would make sense to produce one (a barrel with .17hm2 chamber) if it possible to cycle 17hm2's safely without too many changes to the action as these barrels are designed to be removable for transportation and storage

To be realistic, i'd only use a 17hm2 barrel if it required no changes to the action, as then i'd have two firearm types with only the hassel of carrying one extra barrel (+ an annual €38 fee).
    Twice the fun with one bag!!!

If the action can handel hyper vel .22 rounds now with text book energys of around 190ft/lbs then why can't it handel energys of around 160 for the hm2's

http://www.eabco.com/hornady17hm2.html

Look at this. The Bolt has to be changed in a 10-22 for the timing. I know you've got a marlin. Maybe its the same in this case.

• Advertisement

thanks

Advertisement