Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change?

• 13-01-2009 4:04am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the last topic about changing different traffic areas in the City (see here) - is there anything you would change in Waterford if you could?

Just a few of my suggestions..

I would like to see more investment in the city center to clean the place up and make it a more enjoyable place to be in. Id love to see some law in place that required shop owners to have decent shop fronts rather then some of the old run down shop fronts around the City. One building in particular that sticks out to have not changed much is the 3g store beside Supermacs.

I am delighted that the new shopping center is getting the go ahead and will bring much needed life into the the center of town hopefully helping the smaller businesses which have been suffering due to recession and people taking their business outside of Waterford.

I think that more Cafes should open with outdoor seating for when we have decent weather. Markets like we had a few months back at the side of Super Macs add a great buzz.

Some sort of incentive offered to businesses to open up decent stores, even Cafes, in some of the unused buildings around the town.

Finally, for the love of god get rid of that horrible piece of junk outside Sam McCauleys. What a waste of money.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If I were taoiseach I'd offer it a university, but only on the condition that it was called the University of Kilkenny.

Take it or leave it, lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If I were taoiseach I'd offer it a university, but only on the condition that it was called the University of Kilkenny.

Take it or leave it, lads.

Lets not spoil the thread with trolling dude :)

You and your strange Uni views! How many times have you told me them at this stage?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Id like to see a tram system connecting Ballybricken with Waterford city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

If I had a chance to make changes, without any consideration to cost,

I would look for a small underground system linking a lot of the urban sprawl to the city,24/7, encourage people back to the city for shopping during the day and for entertainment at night.

I would reduce rates on entertainment businesses that stay open till 11pm, including cafe's. again encourage nite life in the city..

I would increase hugely CCCTV in the city covering virtually every inch of the city, to reduce stupid mindless violence.

And with what Sully said, Markets.... they do add such a nice buzz around...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some nice suggestions. Though, im not sure how a tram would be any use considering the city center is only a few hundered meters from Ballybricken..

robtri: Did you know that the CCTV currently in the city center isnt monitored 24/7 but will be used if they need to replay the tape to help in any such investigation. So I was told anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tram or underground would go to waste in Waterford...well maybe a tram that goes out cork road and back into town might be usage but after that no sure.

If I could change anything I'd love to see all the car parks on the quays turned into park area...it would look fantastic along side the wide road along the quays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Cabaal wrote: »
    Tram or underground would go to waste in Waterford...well maybe a tram that goes out cork road and back into town might be usage but after that no sure.

If I could change anything I'd love to see all the car parks on the quays turned into park area...it would look fantastic along side the wide road along the quays

And where would everyone park then?

On the other side of the Quay, the ferrybank side, i'd like to see the mill torn down and for the whole area to provide shops, cafes bars etc. With a nice walk way all the way along. The Quay is being woefully underused.

City Square, Aldi and New St Car Park :P
    On the other side of the Quay, the ferrybank side, i'd like to see the mill torn down and for the whole area to provide shops, cafes bars etc. With a nice walk way all the way along. The Quay is being woefully underused.

This would tie in well with their plans to build a foot bridge. If it goes ahead. The quay could be a lot better alright - doesnt look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd ban the colour GREY from all city centre building projects.
    I'd also make red square red again.

This has to be the grey-ist city I've seen in years. It's like 50's eastern block without the groovy woolly hats and spies :D

Sully wrote: »
    City Square, Aldi and New St Car Park :P

Would that be enough though? All those car parks are nearly always full and at Christmas time the whole city centre gets even more congested...I agree that a park would look fantastic along there...but would probably look a bit out of place as well.

• Advertisement

Would that be enough though? All those car parks are nearly always full and at Christmas time the whole city centre gets even more congested...I agree that a park would look fantastic along there...but would probably look a bit out of place as well.

Probably not. Are there not plans to remove them anyway?

Some nice suggestions. Though, im not sure how a tram would be any use considering the city center is only a few hundered meters from Ballybricken..

robtri: Did you know that the CCTV currently in the city center isnt monitored 24/7 but will be used if they need to replay the tape to help in any such investigation. So I was told anyway!

Didn't realise it wasn't monitored 24/7, thats crap it should be and there should be a lot more of the camera's around, the whole city centre should be covered... it would make the city centre much safer...

I don't think it would go to waste, imagine an underground going to the airport, out the cork road, over to the train station, over to ferry bank, out to a few of the other bigger housing estates, park and ride facilities at points out on the cork road and ferrybank, it would bring a lot of people back to the city day and night, I persoanlly think it would be great but of course money and budgets would stop it ever being built...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd like to see something else todo apart from get **** faced at the weekends and a CCTV system thats in and around the Rubys aera that play's during the day in city square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'd love to see some informal places to eat like Bennigans or TGIs open up here. There's too many places to eat here where presentation is more important than quantity.

Stick your little sprig of greenery up your hole and pour more chips onto my plate please...and I don't care if the sauce is all over the place. Oh, and giving me a tall glass for my longneck beer? You know what you can do with that too. I'll have a pint please. ...and yes, those are my runners...and they cost more than the shoes you're wearing dear!

:D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

With regards to the car parks on the Quay, Isnt there not a plan in place to have all them closed over the next few years anyway. I thought the City council bought all that land.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a what would people ideally change thread, its not a what would you change and have you planned it out, done the mapping and cost effectiveness of the idea thread :rolleyes:

Don't see you looking for planning for the tram or underground idea?

haha ok point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

id like to get rid of that prick in poleberry that cleans your car windows every time you stop your car.

gobo99 wrote: »
    id like to get rid of that prick in poleberry that cleans your car windows every time you stop your car.

someone have anger issues.....

Since when, I lived in around Poleberry for two years and never saw any chap cleaning car windows

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    someone have anger issues.....

maybe a bit over the top. he means well i suppose.
    Since when, I lived in around Poleberry for two years and never saw any chap cleaning car windows

he's always at the lights near WIT Collage st campus. Bath Street its called I think. Looks like one of those Romanian gypsies. It gets a bit annoying when you have to pass his a few times a day, he never seems to get the message.

he's always at the lights near WIT Collage st campus. Bath Street its called I think. Looks like one of those Romanian gypsies. It gets a bit annoying when you have to pass his a few times a day, he never seems to get the message.

You know I've never actually seen him but then I've not been up that way lately :)
    why not just turn on your window wipers and water when he goes near you...only do this after you tell him to go away and not to touch your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd like to see "How Do" given some sort of role in the community perhaps sheriff.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

gscully wrote: »
    I'd love to see some informal places to eat like Bennigans or TGIs open up here.
    +1
    There's too many places to eat here where presentation is more important than quantity.

i don't know about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

This thread is gonna get some cleanin before the romanians and "how do" team up to sue boards. You buy a rose? you buy a rose. You buy a rose?

NAH

Edit: for the purpose of staying on topic, the forum should go back to not being a restraunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BCD

I'ld like to see/hear a quality local radio station for Waterford. :mad:

Ah yes. Passed him once and he refused to listen to me when I tried to inform him I didn't want my window cleaned. Im sure he means well but it does get a bit annoying I suppose

I'd love to see some informal places to eat like Bennigans or TGIs open up here. There's too many places to eat here where presentation is more important than quantity.

Stick your little sprig of greenery up your hole and pour more chips onto my plate please...and I don't care if the sauce is all over the place. Oh, and giving me a tall glass for my longneck beer? You know what you can do with that too. I'll have a pint please. ...and yes, those are my runners...and they cost more than the shoes you're wearing dear!

TGIs would be great in Waterford. I wouldn't mind a Starbucks either!

• Advertisement

Ah yes. Passed him once and he refused to listen to me when I tried to inform him I didn't want my window cleaned. Im sure he means well but it does get a bit annoying I suppose
    it does, iv missed the green lights there several times because he's been leaned over the bonnet of one of the cars in front of me. Hes persistent I'll give him that.

Advertisement