Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deactivated firearm laws and rules

Options
  • 13-01-2009 4:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Are there any rules about owning such a deact firearm.
    Do they need to be locked up?? Can you carry them in Public?? Do the Garda need to inspect them?? Can i order one from the UK.

Its seems like a good time to buy one now, on the strength of the euro against the Pound.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

Do they need to be locked up?? Can you carry them in Public?? Do the Garda need to inspect them?? Can i order one from the UK.

Its seems like a good time to buy one now, on the strength of the euro against the Pound.

Yes you can have a deact, it requires an authorisation issued by your local super.

Carry in public: Are you mad, by even asking the question it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the dangers of such an act, in particular a deact will look and function like the real thing. Carry in public I don't think so, if there were a circumstance in which it was seen or for any reason you were stopped and searched and it was found "being carried in public" I would expect that you would fall under a different segment of the firearms legislation and it may cost you a few years behind bars, common sense is needed here.

Most likely the Super will ask it to be submitted to Ballistics for examination, this is only a formality and if it is a UK deact it is not going to be a problem.

An alternative suggestion would be to purchase an airsoft, as realistic as the real thing, functions fires 6mm plastic pellets, does not need an authorisation at all. Much better value for money. www.mainirishairsoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Ivan if you have true interest in Deactivated Firearms for their historic value you should contact some of the reenactment groups i.e. Battle Group South or the likes. They do Battle reenactments, there very well run and its great fun.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you're buying from the UK, just bring the deact cert into your local station.
    Do the import through a dealer if you want to lessen the hassle with customs who will charge you anything they can get away with, regardless of the vintage of the piece. The time and requirements for the granting of authorisations for deacts and antiques vary even more than with live firearms so make sure you're not getting charged for storage.

If you plan on taking it out about town I suggest you also buy a soap on a rope for those communal showers you'll be getting aquainted with :p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Yes you can have a deact, it requires an authorisation issued by your local super.

Carry in public: Are you mad, by even asking the question it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the dangers of such an act, in particular a deact will look and function like the real thing. Carry in public I don't think so, if there were a circumstance in which it was seen or for any reason you were stopped and searched and it was found "being carried in public" I would expect that you would fall under a different segment of the firearms legislation and it may cost you a few years behind bars, common sense is needed here.

Most likely the Super will ask it to be submitted to Ballistics for examination, this is only a formality and if it is a UK deact it is not going to be a problem.

An alternative suggestion would be to purchase an airsoft, as realistic as the real thing, functions fires 6mm plastic pellets, does not need an authorisation at all. Much better value for money. www.mainirishairsoft.com

When i said "carry in public" i did not mean to have an ak47 in the hand while i walk through the local shopping center. What i meant was, is it possible to travel in the public domain with the deact in say, the boot of the car when calling over to see my poor bed ridden friend.......ffs man i have real firearms and i'm licenced to carry them in public but i don't go around town with the guns hanging out of me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

i'm licenced to carry them in public
    Not in this country you're not, and we'd all appreciate it if you wouldn't try given the political climate for our sport right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement