Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulled over on the N7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ottostreet wrote: »
    I have always enjoyed going through a checkpoint when I know my car and myself are fully legal. When out for a drive with a friend in Dublin city, we will keep driving around for a while, hoping to meet a checkpoint, just to break the mundanity of the routine. How exactly this constitutes delinquent behaviour, since you have insinuated it, I'd like to know please.

Incomprehensibly weird, but certainly not delinquent.

You don't really do that though, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

ottostreet wrote:
    I have always enjoyed going through a checkpoint when I know my car and myself are fully legal. When out for a drive with a friend in Dublin city, we will keep driving around for a while, hoping to meet a checkpoint, just to break the mundanity of the routine. How exactly this constitutes delinquent behaviour, since you have insinuated it, I'd like to know please.

That's easily one of the saddest things I've heard of in a while.
    Btw a 318 with a spoiler and custom alloys can very well look quite chavvy and depending on the driver can stand out quite a bit. I'm not saying yours does because I don't know what it looks like, but pikeys have some kind of gift where they're able to make any kind of car look like crap.

I thought (until now) that everybody knows not to overtake Garda/TC, especially when they're matching the speed limit. It's not difficult to spot a speeder when they know themselves they're right on the speed limit and someone parallel to them is travelling faster.

Remember, they don't even need a reason to pull you over anymore so don't give them one. Just bide your time until they turn off your route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

If the guards only evidence of the speeding infringment is his word that he saw the car overtake him while he stayed at the limit, and the defendant contests this, says he was at the limit and the guard was below the limit, case dismissed everytime. Approximate speed is not a viable prosecution in the black and white eyes of the law.

As I said some judges will run with it and some wont in the case of speeding. It is not an ideal situation for a guard to go to court and give an approximate speed only rather than a true speed. Having said that I have successfully prosecuted people for dangerous driving by giving an appromiate speed ie the speed shown on the speedometer of the patrol car.
    Here is the quote from the OP which threatens prosecution on the grounds of dangerous driving if he does not admit to speeding by paying the fine.

"heads back to the car and sits there for a while. comes back, says ill get a letter for speeding. pay it and take the two points. if i bring it to court, hell tell the judge i was swerving dangerously all over the road, lane changing like a madman with "flashfloods" all over the place"

Sorry I was wrong there. The lack of quotes threw me.
    If the lane changes are done individually and correctly with appropriate checks of mirrors and indication, there is nothing illegal happening, and no grounds for the prosecution of dangerous driving. Therefore speeding is the only offence (bear in mind this cannot be proved)

Yes lane changes can be made so long it is coupled with proper indication and a time lapse between lane changes.
    I would disagree, if somebody was actually driving dangerously, say handbraking round roundabouts, undertaking and tailgaing (all of which I saw on Swords roundabout within 2 minutes last week fom one highly enthusiastic Golf GTI driver) then I think that it would be in the publics interest to prosecute them for dangerous driving as opposed to speeding! Or should we give him a chance to learn from his mistakes?

There is a big difference between being slightly over the limit and doing handbrake turns.

- I was speeding. I fully admit to that. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

- The reality is, stupid speed limit or not, the limit is there and I broke it.

In fairness to you, you realise you made a mistake re: speeding and are willing to admit responsiblity. Most people wont admit it or try to blur the facts a little.

That makes you the bigger and better man. Fair play to ye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You were actually driving at 120km/hr in a 100km zone, INFRONT of the TC?

Seriously, how did you manage to pass the theory test?

The guards were probably laughing their ass off at your stupidity before they pulled you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Buffman

I wouldn't advise going to court on it anyway, if only because of your posts here admitting to it.
    Tie this to the pictures of your car on another thread with your reg on it(big no no IMO) and all this could be used against you.
    Guards read this stuff too. One for the conspiracies forum I know:D, but stranger things have happened!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement

Buffman wrote: »
    Guards read this stuff too.

Nah too busy eating donuts :pac:

TheNog wrote: »
    Nah too busy eating donuts :pac:

Ye, the local lads here just got their brand new mondeo, massive donut capacity:)

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

All done just to ensure I didnt undertake anyone in front of the TC.

Is this illegal? :confused: I thought that if the traffic in an outside lane was going slower than that inside it, there was no problem? So don't swerve in to go inside someone, but if you're there already then no issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

uberwolf wrote: »
    Is this illegal? :confused: I thought that if the traffic in an outside lane was going slower than that inside it, there was no problem? So don't swerve in to go inside someone, but if you're there already then no issue?
    Back to the ROTR for you, i'm afraid.:)

Only in 'slow moving' traffic (traffic lights, etc), and 100-120km/h on the 3 lane Naas road certainly isn't slow moving.

• Advertisement

You can undertake if you are in heavy traffic and movement between lanes is not possible but I think from the OPs account we can assume traffic was light to medium.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

egan007 wrote: »
    My car speedo 80K miles - 10 on the tyres, 7 years old matches my sat nav speed almost perfectly (to within a km or two).
    They are not exact but are not inaccurate either.
    Yours must be the exception to the rule. In general speedos cannot be presumed to be accurate.
    stifz wrote: »
    The trouble is the Gardai make it very difficult to answer back in court.. 4 points rather than the original 2.
    Firstly, the gardai don't control the court's time - I would presume that its the judge that controls who can speak and when.
    Secondly, speeding earns four points. This is reduced to two if you accept the charge and avoid using court time. There is a big difference.
    3. Same poster: "Driving around looking for checkpoints". I have a lot of respect for the guards. I think they do a great job, and I have always enjoyed going through a checkpoint when I know my car and myself are fully legal. When out for a drive with a friend in Dublin city, we will keep driving around for a while, hoping to meet a checkpoint, just to break the mundanity of the routine. How exactly this constitutes delinquent behaviour, since you have insinuated it, I'd like to know please.
    Delinquent? Possibly not!
    Normal? Definitely not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

2. My car. My car is a standard 318, with alloys and a rear spoiler. Not exactly the chavviest motor on the road, despite one posters insinuation.

3. Same poster: "Driving around looking for checkpoints". I have a lot of respect for the guards. I think they do a great job, and I have always enjoyed going through a checkpoint when I know my car and myself are fully legal. When out for a drive with a friend in Dublin city, we will keep driving around for a while, hoping to meet a checkpoint, just to break the mundanity of the routine. How exactly this constitutes delinquent behaviour, since you have insinuated it, I'd like to know please.

I assume you're referring to my earlier post?

1. I didn't insinuate your car was a "chav motor". It does look a bit "boy racer" type though imo.

2. I didn't insinuate driving around looking for checkpoints was "delinquent behaviour". I'd consider it to be stupid though.

In your defence though I think that the 3-lanes on Naas road should have a 120kph limit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

BigCon wrote: »
    I assume you're referring to my earlier post?

1. I didn't insinuate your car was a "chav motor". It does look a bit "boy racer" type though imo.

2. I didn't insinuate driving around looking for checkpoints was "delinquent behaviour". I'd consider it to be stupid though.

In your defence though I think that the 3-lanes on Naas road should have a 120kph limit...

thanks for clearing that up. well, yes, im inclined to agree. its pretty obvious that a male is driving it, and more than likely a young lad! as for the stupid behaviour driving around for checkpoints, well, it is stupid. in terms of "why do they get a kick out of it". i cant explain that, all i know is that i enjoy meeting a checkpoint, not to antagonise, not to wind up anyone, just to see the guards in action. as for the 120kph limit, it would be more sensible, based on the standard of the road, but, this is ireland. three lanes? woah...confusing! thanks for posting again and clarifying. your first post was a little attacking, and while i realise that you cant tell what my attitude towards driving or my standards of driving are, id prefer you didnt jump to conclusions, especially based on my car.

you would have had a point if i had been driving one of my old cars though (bright yellow punto sporting with a big rear wing) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting thread...

Not that the OP got done. By the sound of it he WAS driving erratically and got off lightly imo.

However.. I do have an issue with a garda's "word" being enough to bring a conviction in court. Even more so with it being enough for his partner to say "yea I saw him too judge".

Given the reports in the media over the past few years of the conduct of certain members of the Gardai, it's a ridiculous situation whereby this is all that's needed. Like you see on those Police Stop shows from the UK, every Traffic Corps car (at a minimum) should be fitted with a camera to PROVE the claim in court - y'know as in "innocent until PROVEN guilty"

But then again, by actively discouraging the public from challenging a prosecution, and punishing them further by way of increased fines and additional points if they lose, it keeps the conviction rates up - allowing the Gardai and RSA to say they're "making a difference" without actually doing anything. Secondly it's a nice revenue stream for our cash-strapped government too of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

thanks for clearing that up. well, yes, im inclined to agree. its pretty obvious that a male is driving it, and more than likely a young lad! as for the stupid behaviour driving around for checkpoints, well, it is stupid. in terms of "why do they get a kick out of it". i cant explain that, all i know is that i enjoy meeting a checkpoint, not to antagonise, not to wind up anyone, just to see the guards in action. as for the 120kph limit, it would be more sensible, based on the standard of the road, but, this is ireland. three lanes? woah...confusing! thanks for posting again and clarifying. your first post was a little attacking, and while i realise that you cant tell what my attitude towards driving or my standards of driving are, id prefer you didnt jump to conclusions, especially based on my car.

you would have had a point if i had been driving one of my old cars though (bright yellow punto sporting with a big rear wing) :o

I know this will make your day:
    I got done by the gatso van coming out of Portlaoise tonight.
    . Will have to wait for the fine to see what speed I was doing.
    Think the limit is 30kmh, I was probably doing 45, big wide open road, no other traffic, no houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Ive gotten this "swerving all over the place" bull from the cops on 1 occasion and it was merely overtaking a few cars on the M50 and moving back in. No points tho as ultimetly he was out of ideas at that stage. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I got done by the f*cking gatso van coming out of Portlaoise tonight.
    W*ankers. Will have to wait for the fine to see what speed I was doing.
    Think the limit is 30kmh, I was probably doing 45, big wide open road, no other traffic, no houses.

no. i never like to hear of people being done needlessly. thing is, you were speeding, but not driving dangerously (im assuming anyway). which is exactly what i was doing (in my opinion). i'm sure some people will say "but what if a child ran out in front of you", well, what the hell is a child doing running across a three lane road at 10 at night? all the ifs and buts in the world dont change facts, 120kph is NOT dangerous on that section of road, and i highly doubt 45kph is dangerous along the section you were caught on.

is it that bit after you pass the maxol garage on your right, go through the roundabout, and it straightens up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

I got done by the f*cking gatso van coming out of Portlaoise tonight.
    W*ankers. Will have to wait for the fine to see what speed I was doing.

what road were you on?

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Ive gotten this "swerving all over the place" bull from the cops on 1 occasion and it was merely overtaking a few cars on the M50 and moving back in. No points tho as ultimetly he was out of ideas at that stage. Pathetic.

I have seen many people swerving on the road and stopped them. Usually to see if they have been drinking and some havent, some have. For those who havent been drinking I tell them what I saw and ask them to pay a little more attention to their driving and thats it. Its all about keeping people out of harms way and not all about prosecuting them.

Maybe in your case you could learn from it rather than taking offence to it and I say maybe cos I wasnt there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I have seen many people swerving on the road and stopped them. Usually to see if they have been drinking and some havent, some have. For those who havent been drinking I tell them what I saw and ask them to pay a little more attention to their driving and thats it. Its all about keeping people out of harms way and not all about prosecuting them.

Maybe in your case you could learn from it rather than taking offence to it and I say maybe cos I wasnt there.
    I have to say that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

1. Driver acts like a Muppet (speeding, 20% over the limit, and changing multiple lanes in one maneuver, in plain view of the Guards, (I think, hard to read).

2. Guards do their job (after being goaded for quite a distance).

What's there to complain about (except maybe the Guards were too lenient)?
    This idiot has done this before (admitting in other threads to driving at 80mph
    beside a cop car on the N7, driving around looking for checkpoints for fun.

And to top it all off, he's driving this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58395985#post58395985

I had a small bit of sympathy for ottostreet at first as when reading it my eyes were straining so i didnt get the full story but i imagined it as something minor, However..

When an absolute fool is driving this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58395985#post58395985
    Well basically your just a dirty chav and well i hope the gards pull you over for everything you do because from prior posts and the 16 year old fantasy "boy racer" you think ya are! You're a terrible driver from the sounds of it and to be honest i think you're just one of these drivers who think they're victimised by the gards.

I reccomend you grow up, and get a half way respectable car. Draws less attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

1. I was speeding. I fully admit to that. I'm not ashamed to admit it. People who are familiar with the road will know that it's quite a decent road

I am fully aware of this road as I've been driving on it in all it's various forms for 6 years now, and being aware of it, whilst it might be a 'decent' road, it's also a road that has massive flood puddles along both the first and third lanes in heavy rain.

For that reason alone, in my opinion, you were driving idiotically even sitting on 100km an hour in those weather conditions let alone 120km and I'm glad you were pulled over.

The speed limit is a limit, not a target or a directive that must be kept to at all times of day and night and in all weathers :mad:

And a good driver would be fully aware of everything going on around him whether it be possible flood issues or cops watching to pull them over!

Anan1 wrote: »
    I have to say that sounds pretty reasonable to me.

The only problem though is people are always harpering on about better driver education but when it is pointed out to them about their own driving, some people take offence to it.

KoRn101 wrote: »
    I had a small bit of sympathy for ottostreet at first as when reading it my eyes were straining so i didnt get the full story but i imagined it as something minor, However..

When an absolute fool is driving this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58395985#post58395985
    Well basically your just a dirty chav and well i hope the gards pull you over for everything you do because from prior posts and the 16 year old fantasy "boy racer" you think ya are! You're a terrible driver from the sounds of it and to be honest i think you're just one of these drivers who think they're victimised by the gards.

I reccomend you grow up, and get a half way respectable car. Draws less attention.

The only response this post deserves is: Read the charter buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

The only response this post deserves is: Read the charter buddy

:( i got in trouble..

I just really cant understand how people can complain about getting caught for speeding.

KoRn101 wrote: »
    :( i got in trouble..

I just really cant understand how people can complain about getting caught for speeding.

True but there is no need to take personally. The OP has freely admitted to making a mistake which alot of other people wouldnt do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

The only problem though is people are always harpering on about better driver education but when it is pointed out to them about their own driving, some people take offence to it.
    I think you will agree that many Irish police have room to improve the standard of their own driving and that, if this happened, their advice would be more likely to be heeded.

crocro wrote: »
    I think you will agree that many Irish police have room to improve the standard of their own driving and that, if this happened, their advice would be more likely to be heeded.

+ 1 but I can only speak for my own driving :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

OP deserves 4 penalty points alone for making this passage of text like a sudoko puzzle
    not a problem until we hit the part where it becomes three lane and the speed limit drops.car coming up in my lane so i move out behind the traffic corps car in the overtaking lane and pass it. traffic clear again and the TC car moves over. i slowly accelerate past, indicate back across the two lanes into the left lane. i stay there, holding my speed at maybe 120 (100 zone) slowly pulling away. car in my lane, i indicate out to middle lane, then back in. then...my mistake. car in the middle lane. didnt want to undertake in front of the guards so i indicate out behind the upcoming car, then across into overtaking lane, then back across

Advertisement