Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Turntable advice please.

• 13-01-2009 7:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I have boxes of vinyl in the attic from my turntabling days that I would like to convert to MP3 for my iPod and for safe keeping. I have searched high and low, both legal sites and not so legal, and I can't find a source for the bulk of it so it looks like I'll have to "digitize" them myself.

Is there much to choose between USB turntables? What sort of money am I looking at spending? And finally, has anyone any recommendations for either hardware or software to do the job?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Go into Currys,they sell em for 90 quid,very straight to use,just plug into usb port,start recording,although I think its handier to just to go to www.listentoyoutube.com,transfer youtube vids into soundfiles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I ran a cable from my mixer to the input port of the soundcard on my laptop and used a program called total recorder to record the tune directly into mp3, no need for anything extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I am completely deckless at the moment, though.
    Can anyone second the Currys one?
    I'd rather just do this once and do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

okay the thing is this.
    yea you can record your vinyl into your computer using those usb turntables but the soundfile wont sound good,it could be a lower volume compared to your cds.
    its not just a 123 process.for the best sound you need good needles

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Go into Currys,they sell em for 90 quid,very straight to use,just plug into usb port,start recording,although I think its handier to just to go to www.listentoyoutube.com,transfer youtube vids into soundfiles

Just had a look at that site. I didn't realise just how many of the tracks I'm looking for are on youtube. Trouble is, anytime I try to grab a track it goes through the whole extraction process, then says file not saved, transfer aborted.

Any experience with this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

milltown wrote: »
    Just had a look at that site. I didn't realise just how many of the tracks I'm looking for are on youtube. Trouble is, anytime I try to grab a track it goes through the whole extraction process, then says file not saved, transfer aborted.

honestly the sound quality will be horrible from youtube vids.i wouldnt attempt to play them out.maybe fine for just listening at home but djing with i wouldnt

I'm not looking to DJ with them, just to have a digital version of a lot of the stuff I have on vinyl.
    I'm actually surprised at the quality of the youtube stuff myself. I expected it to be totally pony but there's a good bit of it that basically has no video, just the name of the track for the duration, so the bulk of the filesize is really the audio. You'd almost think it was put up on youtube for the sole purpose of being ripped ;)
    I can't imagine I'd get much better sound quality out of a €100 usb deck anyway. And if I started appearing home with new 1210s, mixer, sound card etc. I'd soon find my golf clubs, PS3, Blurays etc. heading in the other direction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

milltown wrote: »

The odd time Ive had hassle,but generally it always works well,the files from youtube differ,some are very good quality,some are poor,all the luck of the draw,but its an unbelievably handy site,and what I find sh*t about the usb converters for vinly,no matter how good the record quality it always ends up poor when converted

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Forget youtube the quality is awful...

Personally i think that if you have spent 5-15 quid on the vinyl, you should be entitled to the mp3 as well - so you should be allowed just go and download the track from the web. Strictly that is not the case so really you're supposed to rip them yourself, but if it was me I'd be just download them all - much easier then ripping them all yourself.

Oh course that is illegal so I'm telling you not to do it... :pac:

Advertisement