Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Get off you fcuking high horses.....If your unlucky enough to end up on the dole over the next few months then post back tell us it is still way too high!!!Cant see it happening when the esb,phone and heating oil(etc) bills land in your door!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Dozyart wrote: »
    Get off you fcuking high horses.....If your unlucky enough to end up on the dole over the next few months then post back tell us it is still way too high!!!Cant see it happening when the esb,phone and heating oil(etc) bills land in your door!!!!:mad:

you worked so its your entitlement,

ireland is unlikely to be able to afford such as generous benefit structure in the long term.

there is competition between the unemployed and unmarried others etc for resourses.In other words the Unemployment insurance and PRSI collected for it goes into the government expense accounts and gets spent.

IMO - when the welfare system was concieved those who would benefit were far fewer - at first claimants were few now the bill is massive from a smaller tax take.

So supporting "rights" for unmarried mothers etc comes from the same tax take. It takes away from unemployment benefits because girls have made a lifestyle choice.

So paying for 1000 unmarried mothers is a cheap and high profile gesture - paying for 100,000 plus their housing and medical care etc is massive,

This is also true with things like the health service - so if the voters call for stuff politicians will spend billions on it for votes.

So if you increase health care spending during a boom like we did you cant just stop that spending. So what happens is you have boom spending during bust times and there is less to go round.Remember - everyone will always agree health care spending is a good thing - but dont think it will come from their benefit when times are bad.

Your PRSI is a tax and is not insurance.Its gone and been spent on stuff you demanded as a voter.This is what you get less benefits when you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kraggy wrote: »
    I sympathise with them but as stated in point one, of those, the ones with mortgages should be getting significantly more than those with no such responsibility (the former should get more than 200 euro and the latter should get less than 200 and the long-term unemployed should get less again).
    Yeah and people with car loans should get more too.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes:

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Yeah and people with car loans should get more too.

Jesus wept. :rolleyes:

the guy has a point he has paid his PRSI and its not giving him his safety net.

he may have supported the nurses actions and the teachers and unmarried mothers and deserves to know where his PRSI was spent.

1 billion aid to the third world -of course we will pay it Bono

people seem to have a rosy view of where the government get money to spend and dont connect expenditure with policies they support

and now that money is spent ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

I though it was a bit odd for it to be increase in the last budget all things considered.

• Advertisement

Mr Ed wrote: »
    I though it was a bit odd for it to be increase in the last budget all things considered.

The money has been spent.

Funny how many boardsies have trouble with that concept

free third level grants - need to get paid from somewhere -so if you add up everything

all these good ideas need to be paid for from somewhere- is it now only dawning on people that it trickles down to dole payments.

now changing our economic model by raising taxes could actually make things a lot worse

tax the rich -ahem -we are all rich now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kraggy wrote: »
    I DO realise that there are thousands of people who have just been laid off and who would rather be working. I sympathise with them but as stated in point one, of those, the ones with mortgages should be getting significantly more than those with no such responsibility (the former should get more than 200 euro and the latter should get less than 200 and the long-term unemployed should get less again).

Why should the state be giving extra money to fund someones investment in a house? Having a roof over your head is an essential requirement, owning your own house is a luxury purchase though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

robinph wrote: »
    Why should the state be giving extra money to fund someones investment in a house? Having a roof over your head is an essential requirement, owning your own house is a luxury purchase though.
    I think they only pay a contribution to the interest part of the mortgage, not the principle... so they don't contribute to the investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

it fuc*in is to much, i hate the way everybody on the dole gets paid for doin nothing and then complains when having to do something, i know someone who is on it and moans everyday at the fact that he's so much to do and also complains about having to go and collect his money,

robinph wrote: »

Probably because the poor eejit has paid PRSI which cobined between employers and employees is 16.75% of his wages.

He feels he should get some kind of safety net for this and not be told that having a roof over his head is a luxury item.

God be with the days when Garret Fitzgerald and Fine Gael were in power. The government fell because of VAT on childrens shoes. They believed childrens shoes were luxuries:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

it's 50:50. There are some people who are milking goverment but there are some people who have earned to have a dole...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

brennaldo wrote: »
    it fuc*in is to much, i hate the way everybody on the dole gets paid for doin nothing and then complains when having to do something, i know someone who is on it and moans everyday at the fact that he's so much to do and also complains about having to go and collect his money,

they obviously have too much money already.. :mad:

I will collect it for him, and take 50% for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

A mate of mine just dropped out of college and went on the dole. He now gets €200 a week to do nothing, until he goes back to college next September. I work and go to college, and I'm always flat out broke cos of bills. With the recession, the hours in all my jobs have been slashed so I get very few hours a week and haven't had any luck with a new job.

It just seems unfair that someone can sponge off the government so easily, and spend their day doing nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the college grant system is s#ite too notorious,seems to favour the rich/well off,the people that really need it dont get the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

guys im on the dole and i really wish i wasn't im trying to get a job iv got a trade but i just cant get one!!and living on 200 a week is not enough my rent 135 and my credit union is 120 then iv got to put diesel in my van credit in my phone food in my fridge and electricity in my house for heating and lighting!!!its really not enough but if i was working i would say its too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Notorious wrote: »
    A mate of mine just dropped out of college and went on the dole. He now gets €200 a week to do nothing, until he goes back to college next September. I work and go to college, and I'm always flat out broke cos of bills. With the recession, the hours in all my jobs have been slashed so I get very few hours a week and haven't had any luck with a new job.

It just seems unfair that someone can sponge off the government so easily, and spend their day doing nothing at all.

If someone is on social welfare then they have payed enough taxes to be on it. You have to work two years to get it.
    carrieb wrote: »
    It is far too much!! 800 euro a month for doing FA.
    I am living in Italy at the moment and 800-1000 euro per month is considered good money.
    I was in a language class one day, full of people from all over the world, inc a lot of Europeans and the whole class sat with their mouths open when I explained how it works. None of them could believe it, there were ppl from Switzerland, Holland, Sweeden, Central America, the US, none had ever heard of such a concept.
    I know a girl who was on the dole for over a year recently, shes lives at home and has no car so was loaded with the 200 per month. Had more the enough to live and save!!
    She has a degree though and was finally made go to some interviews by FAS and got a job in a week. People like that drive me mad.
    It should def be tested, a 20 yr old living at home who is just lazy does not deserve for 1 second to get what a 55 yr old father of 3 who has just lost his job is entitled to.
    Makes my blood boil!

Regardless of what you say, the majority of people on social welfare are entitled to it, they paid their dues by paying taxes in the previous years. Age has nothing to do with it and is discrimination. Someone that lives at home would have to be means tested. Whoever lives in that house.
    CDfm wrote: »
    THen you have the whole cost of social welfare payments -like it or not the real value of our unemployment benefit will have to drop big time as the cost to ordinary people in their taxes makes it too high to sustain.

Are we not ordinary people too??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I think it is people in low skilled/low payed lobs say the dole is to much.
    Personally I think the dole should only last for 8 weeks and at that point the
    person should be back at work or given the opportunity to learn a new skill.
    Nobody should be paid to sit at home doing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

sometimes the highpayed jobs is what drove the big companies out of the country!

If someone is on social welfare then they have payed enough taxes to be on it. You have to work two years to get it.

Regardless of what you say, the majority of people on social welfare are entitled to it, they paid their dues by paying taxes in the previous years. Age has nothing to do with it and is discrimination. Someone that lives at home would have to be means tested. Whoever lives in that house.

Are we not ordinary people too??? :(

We are rich or thats how we paid ourselves during the boom. Now we are poor. Who were we fooling.

Yes I agree -but the fact of it is the taxes and PRSI you paid are spent on a whole lot of other things that you voted for. An unmarried mother has to be fed clothed and housed for 18 or 20 years .So do pensioners .

The money that went to the health services is commited for years -no civil service redundancies or pay cuts.

the government is unable to borrow money to pay more benefits so in real terms benefits will fall and may even get means tested.

the social partnership model worked when everyone got more -those days are gone. The commitments to pay for all the extra services are there but we cant afford them.

Its not fair PRSI gets you a minimum payment and thats all.It doesnt do what its supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

Fred83 wrote: »
    the college grant system is s#ite too notorious,seems to favour the rich/well off,the people that really need it dont get the grant

I wouldn't have been able to go to college without the grant. And I know lots of people like myself who deserved it and got it.
    cork45 wrote: »
    I think it is people in low skilled/low payed lobs say the dole is to much.
    Personally I think the dole should only last for 8 weeks and at that point the
    person should be back at work or given the opportunity to learn a new skill.
    Nobody should be paid to sit at home doing nothing.

Will jobs magically appear after 8 weeks? I'm desperately trying to find something for months but there's just nothing there! And what good would a new skill do? I have a degree and I still can't get anything.

• Advertisement

Breaktown wrote: »
    I wouldn't have been able to go to college without the grant. And I know lots of people like myself who deserved it and got it.

Will jobs magically appear after 8 weeks? I'm desperately trying to find something for months but there's just nothing there! And what good would a new skill do? I have a degree and I still can't get anything.

You seem to believe others should pay for you.Austrailia have similar demographics to Ireland and operate a loan system.

Whats your degree in and what type of job are you looking for?

Would you work in a shop or chipper if thats what it took to get you off the dole?

IMO -its those in low paid jobs without degrees who should complain and be anti-student welfare. There are 25% of the adults of the country that are illiterate and their taxes have paid for your education.If you wont just take any job to get off the dole its disrespectfull to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I had the profound misfortune to be on the dole for a few weeks last summer.

It's beyond me how anybody could freely choose that. I don't think nearly as many people do choose it as everybody seems to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Too right Mary - we are paying higher welfare than the country can afford.

Lets borrow 50 billion and pay yer woman. Ya roight.

Any reasonable country would check how much assets you have and means-test your income and take into account how much PRSI you have paid, no matter your background, it's the only fair way. When the part contributed by PRSI is used up the means test portion comes in...check your bank accounts, property, stocks , income over previous 5 years etc.

maninasia wrote: »
    Any reasonable country would check how much assets you have and means-test your income and take into account how much PRSI you have paid, no matter your background, it's the only fair way. When the part contributed by PRSI is used up the means test portion comes in...check your bank accounts, property, stocks , income over previous 5 years etc.

i think the prsi is a con

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

of all the people I know on the dole, i can't think of a single one who isn't just milking the system. Fair play to them I say, if the government is stupid enough to go around handing out free money to all and sundry then go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

well im from Waterford. if i leave work i can have a new 3 bed house in the city paid for me plus 200 euro a week

this has been going on for years, its nothing new

on the other hand if i work in any of the crap jobs around here i can have an extra 50 euro a week which ill just spend travelling and eating in work anyway.

this is reality for the youth in ireland today.

theyve created a situation where theyre paying the youth to move out of home and giving them "drink" allowance aswell :D

and my god are they feeling the effects of it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

You seem to believe others should pay for you.Austrailia have similar demographics to Ireland and operate a loan system.

Whats your degree in and what type of job are you looking for?

Would you work in a shop or chipper if thats what it took to get you off the dole?

IMO -its those in low paid jobs without degrees who should complain and be anti-student welfare. There are 25% of the adults of the country that are illiterate and their taxes have paid for your education.If you wont just take any job to get off the dole its disrespectfull to them.
    Uh,where are you getting the 25% of the adults being illiterate? That'd bring us in line with places like war torn african countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_literacy_map_UNHD_2007_2008.png

And I'm one of those very recent graduates who without a loan would have struggled even more in college, have been working since I was 16, and still am, though there's very few jobs, am only working 12 hours a week now, and have no choice but to stick it out as there's nothing else around. I'm heading to the UK for postgrad, will have to get a sizeable loan, but thankfully that'll be all the debt I'm carrying due to our grants.

taram wrote: »
    Uh,where are you getting the 25% of the adults being illiterate? That'd bring us in line with places like war torn african countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World_literacy_map_UNHD_2007_2008.png

And I'm one of those very recent graduates who without a loan would have struggled even more in college, have been working since I was 16, and still am, though there's very few jobs, am only working 12 hours a week now, and have no choice but to stick it out as there's nothing else around. I'm heading to the UK for postgrad, will have to get a sizeable loan, but thankfully that'll be all the debt I'm carrying due to our grants.

Yes it would bring us to those levels and it puts our benefit system in context. Look at this link if you dont believe me.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/illiteracy-shames-us-in-whatever-language-1092418.html

You took the grants but did you participate in any adult literacy programmes.

So you got grants all the way - so is it fair that students dont contribute as they will have a better chance of repaying their loans. You were subsidised by the less well off who can no longer afford to carry you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Breaktown wrote: »

I think you should either be in a job, in education or sick.
    Why should anybody be paid to sit on there arse?
    And when i say sick i mean actually sick, the amount of people claiming off the welfare for being sick is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

For people who are left go unexpectedly and aren't prepared for the big drop - the dole is not enough to get by and more thn probably insulting to them to hear they are been given too much.

For those who wish to be on it and have no notion of coming off it - it is a gift.

Advertisement