Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

[Quote
    Personally I think the dole should only last for 8 weeks and at that point the
    person should be back at work or given the opportunity to learn a new skill.
    Nobody should be paid to sit at home doing nothing.[/QUOTE]

where can one gain employment at the moment, where can one learn new skills, the 2nd one is easy florida with nassa, the 1st one is harder tho, the castletroy park hotel in limerick looked to fill 75 positions two weeks ago, on the first day they got almost 1800 applications

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

cork45 wrote: »
    Personally I think the dole should only last for 8 weeks and at that point the
    person should be back at work or given the opportunity to learn a new skill.
    Nobody should be paid to sit at home doing nothing.

You wouldnt be saying that if you were unemployed and could'nt find a job :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

You wouldnt be saying that if you were unemployed and could'nt find a job :rolleyes:

Yes i would, i think if someone is unemployed for that long they should be able to go on a course and learn something new.

How about working for your dole. ie: community work or something similar?

I'm not being ignorant to the plight of the unemployed but the welfare culture in this country is a joke, the most important thing to most people on wefare is that they don't lose their dole, medical card, rent supplement, phone allowence, fuel allowence........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mr. Croft

Yes i would, i think if someone is unemployed for that long they should be able to go on a course and learn something new.

I'm not being ignorant to the plight of the unemployed but the welfare culture in this country is a joke, the most important thing to most people on wefare is that they don't lose their dole, medical card, rent supplement, phone allowence, fuel allowence........

Where's the money for half a million course places going to come from ? Do you have a brain. I bet your friends die a little inside when you show up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mr. Croft wrote: »
    Where's the money for half a million course places going to come from ? Do you have a brain. I bet your friends die a little inside when you show up

Please refrain from making personal remarks about other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shifon9

The problem isnt that the dole is too high the problem is the number of people who clearly claim it and work at the same time or the amount of things people can claim for is crazy. its not just unemployment benefit, it supplementary welfare alloance, child benefit - people can claim child benefit even if the kids arent in this country!!!!!! its a joke. the system is so flawed with loop holes its unbelievable. For people who genuinely need the dole its proabaly not enough. Last year 5 million euro was stopped being paid out to people who were making false claims. the fact thats its called unemployment benefit sends out the wrong message - in the UK its called job seekers allowance! Plus i also think the amount people receive should be gradually reduced over time - you should not be able to sit on the dole for years - there are plenty of jobs that need doing in communities that could be done by people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Anyone I know who is claiming social welfare are claiming job seekers allowance. I don't know of anyone claiming rent relief, medical card, fuel allowance etc.

Mr. Croft wrote: »

why the personel attack? It's my point of view and we are debating an issue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

why the personel attack? It's my point of view and we are debating an issue.

A moderator has already issued a warning. Please keep the posts on topic.

Anyone I know who is claiming social welfare are claiming job seekers allowance. I don't know of anyone claiming rent relief, medical card, fuel allowance etc.

I know quite a few people getting all these benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

does anyone know how many welfare claimants there are

from disability,students,,unmarried motthers all the way up to pensioners.does anyone have those figures.how many people are employed in the public sector and how many in the private sector.

I will bet that many people would be genuinely surprised at the numbers.

Do people get the same in countries like denmark and germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

I think €200 is a fair amount for the weekly dole payment.

That is €800 a month compared to a minimum wage job of €1384 a month.

You have your
    • Rent
    • Bills - Electricity/Gas/Heating/Phone bill
    • Food
    • Transport - Petrol/ License/ Tax/ Nct
    • Clothing
    After that what have you left to go out or socialize? or do anything else for that matter.

I do however agree that there are quite allot of "moochers"
    who do **** all and enjoy doing nothing (usually stoners, lovely people but no offense) and getting free Cash and rent allowance. there are also people who get the dole and do cash in hand work pulling €900 a week in.. I know a few lads who do :rolleyes:

N there that guys who need to be Caught out.

I also have a friend who was made redundant and is on the dole, on rent allowance and has a car. He has a hard time trying to find a job, pay for everything and get a job..

Tough times ahead..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I notice a lot of people here giving out about people being on the dole for longer than a few weeks and also that the dole is too much.

I am applying for the dole at the moment, not because I am lazy, but because I had a baby a week and a half ago and I wish to refrain from moving into another apartment away from the dad and claiming single parents and rent allowance which would add up to about €1680 monthly. This way I am only getting €800 to look after me and baby and I think that is fairer.

I won't be able to look for work for a while because of my baby, but as soon as January 2010 arrives I will be continuing my college course that I put on hold for a year while having him. I am not a scrounger and I do plan on continuing my education, I just need to keep my son in nappies and myself with food on the table until next January. I am embarrassed I have to go this road but it is the only way I can afford to live at the moment. €200 a week is not a lot when you truly need it, it is only when people make a mockery of the system that it becomes annoying and people think you are better off on the dole than working.

There are a large number of people losing their jobs left, right and centre at the moment and with mortgages, car loans and families to look after €200 doesnt go very far:( I'm lucky I only have me and one baby and only €100 a week rent to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What's your friend doing for 900 euro cash in hand a week out of interest?

If it's construction then from what I know those jobs are long gone, especially for labourers (sp?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

shifon9 wrote: »
    The problem isnt that the dole is too high the problem is the number of people who clearly claim it and work at the same time or the amount of things people can claim for is crazy. its not just unemployment benefit, it supplementary welfare alloance, child benefit - people can claim child benefit even if the kids arent in this country!!!!!! its a joke.

that was mentioned in the irish mail on sunday today,about 20 million was paid for kids that dont even live here all because the e.u says they are legally obliged to give it,im sorry but in when europe in a recession and its been noted our child benefit is actually more generous than the rest of europe it's complete bolloxs,we need a thatcher type of person to stand up against the e.u in certain things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭eddiehobbs

Fred83 wrote: »
    that was mentioned in the irish mail on sunday today,about 20 million was paid for kids that dont even live here all because the e.u says they are legally obliged to give it,im sorry but in when europe in a recession and its been noted our child benefit is actually more generous than the rest of europe it's complete bolloxs,we need a thatcher type of person to stand up against the e.u in certain things

If its the case that we have to make these type of child benifit payments then it should be given at the rate as it stands in the country of the childs residence seing as its bieng paid to maintain the childs upkeep in that country. Be it higher or lower which in irelands case it would almost always be certainly lower, im not sure if this is the case.

As regards the op's question then i would definatly say the dole is too much. As it currently stands we have a situation whereby you are better off to stay at home than go out and work for minimum wage which is totally unsustainable. Large scale reform is needed to weed out the people who are defrauding the system and also to make it fairer. I would agree with the suggestion that it should be paid on a decling scale or maybe related to the amount of prsi you have paid, eg higher payment for someone who has contributed more to the system. that would sort the decent hard working taxpayer from the parasites who expect to get something for nothing.

thats the thing eddie,its been abused,its going back to the old days when everyone was rich and loaded and didnt care who was sending money home to their own country which is been the case again of child benefit,according to the mail,the payment for child benefit in poland is €20

I've heard people on about the child benifit but i didn't know it was true, it's an absoulte crazy situation,
    We do need someone to stand up to europe on these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

thats the thing eddie,its been abused,its going back to the old days when everyone was rich and loaded and didnt care who was sending money home to their own country which is been the case again of child benefit,according to the mail[/B],the payment for child benefit in poland is €20

And we all take what the mail say as gospel.
    Don't we ?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And we all take what the mail say as gospel.
    Don't we ?:rolleyes:

taken from the citizens info website
    Child Benefit and EU Regulations

EU/EEA citizens and Swiss nationals working in Ireland, satisfy the habitual residence condition for Child Benefit.

If you are an EU/EEA citizen or a Swiss national and work in a country covered by EU Regulations, the country you work in usually pays Child Benefit even if your family is living in another country. However, if your children are living in another EU/EEA country you should still apply for any Family Benefits you are entitled to there.

If the Family Benefit you get in the country your children are living is less than the Child Benefit payment here, your Irish Child Benefit payment will make up the difference. For more information on how EU rules affect Child Benefit, contact the Child Benefit Section (see 'Where to apply' below).

Countries covered by EU Regulations are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom (excluding the Channel Islands).

taken from the citizens info website

Only in ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

I think you should either be in a job, in education or sick.
    Why should anybody be paid to sit on there arse?
    And when i say sick i mean actually sick, the amount of people claiming off the welfare for being sick is crazy.

What jobs?!

Breaktown wrote: »
    What jobs?!

I don't want you to take this up wrong.

You had an education which was funded by other taxpayers many in low paid ordinary jobs.

These people include those in low skilled jobs - bar staff , storemen, street cleaners, roadworkers, binmen etc and these are the people who paid your college grants and fees.

24% of the countries adults are functionally illiterate and they paid for you and supported you and you seem a bit ungrateful.

So in the meanwhile while you are looking for your perfect job do you think it would be beneath you to take a waitressing job or shop assistant job or cleaning job or something or call centre job.

What gives you the entitlement not to take this type of work and is it beneath you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭mollypop

CDfm wrote: »

What gives you the entitlement not to take this type of work and is it beneath you?

I agree to a certain extent. When I left college I wanted obviously to get a job in my field of study, I was living at home with my parents so no dole (didn't occur to me to move out so I could claim, had no interest in being on the dole) so I got a job cleaning in a hotel for what turned out to be 6 months until I got my 'real' job.

Saying that, it was a 3 years ago. It might be very different now, but I know a good few new grads on the dole at the moment who seem to be solely looking in their own area for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

Whether the social welfare payments are too high are not depends upon whether you are in receipt of them or not. I wouldnt fancy trying to live on UA for a month.

The system needs reform. At a minimum everyone claiming UA should have to go and collect it rather than getting it paid into a bank account. Any new claims are not paid into bank accounts i believe.People are alledged to be claiming while living outside of the country. People who care for a relative need the carers benefit..people need disability benefits. Life lived on social wlefare cant be glorious for most honest people.

Real question is can the state continue to pay the level of social welfare that it currently does. The state is borrowing money to pay for the day to day expenses. A levy has been placed on the public sector, general tax rate increases seem highly likely.

Will be interesting to see how the 2,000,000 odd in empolyment are going to view a reduction in their standard of living if social welfare levels continue unchanged.....

reform is reform ...meaning that all aspects of government expenditure will need to be looked at to make sure the money goes to the correct place......

mollypop wrote: »
    I agree to a certain extent. When I left college I wanted obviously to get a job in my field of study,

Saying that, it was a 3 years ago. It might be very different now, but I know a good few new grads on the dole at the moment who seem to be solely looking in their own area for a job.

Surely that should tell you that being overly selective is a bad thing.

There is dignity in earning your own money.

I cant imagine too many employers who would not be impressed with someone who is willing to clean toilets or work in a hotel reception or petrol station.

It just demonstrates that the person has a work ethic- that other applicants don't.

I imagine a lot of employers would like to see an applicant who applies and says "I'm qualified and I also have a work ethic which is why currently I work at Centra". You dig how to present it.

p28559 wrote: »
    Whether the social welfare payments are too high are not depends upon whether you are in receipt of them or not. I wouldnt fancy trying to live on UA for a month.

A levy has been placed on the public sector, general tax rate increases seem highly likely.

Will be interesting to see how the 2,000,000 odd in empolyment are going to view a reduction in their standard of living if social welfare levels continue unchanged.....

Big changes will happen and they will not be nice.

CDfm wrote: »
    I don't want you to take this up wrong.

You had an education which was funded by other taxpayers many in low paid ordinary jobs.

These people include those in low skilled jobs - bar staff , storemen, street cleaners, roadworkers, binmen etc and these are the people who paid your college grants and fees.

24% of the countries adults are functionally illiterate and they paid for you and supported you and you seem a bit ungrateful.

So in the meanwhile while you are looking for your perfect job do you think it would be beneath you to take a waitressing job or shop assistant job or cleaning job or something or call centre job.

Dont know why should the min wage workers bother paying tax,its them sort of people that who fund the grant system dont get an entiltement to a college grant if they live at home,like the law theres one rule for the rich,one rule for the poor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

mikemac wrote: »
    What's your friend doing for 900 euro cash in hand a week out of interest?

If it's construction then from what I know those jobs are long gone, especially for laborers (sp?)

It's not 900 cash in hand it's "pulling in" 900 a week thats from the dole benefits and cash in hand work, he's in construction and he's still got his job..

dunno bout u :D

Advertisement