Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I had a baby a week and a half ago and I wish to refrain from moving into another apartment away from the dad and claiming single parents and rent allowance which would add up to about €1680 monthly. This way I am only getting €800 to look after me and baby and I think that is fairer.

Are you for real? You are in no position in your life to have a baby whatsoever and now you want a medal because you're only claiming the dole instead of what you could get?
    Only for the poor child all you should get is a good kick up your arse for being so stupid to make a baby when you're in no position to put food on the table for it.
    And to be actually looking for approval for this stuff...fkn hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Yes is the answer. About 60-70 quid a week to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

realcam wrote: »
    Are you for real? You are in no position in your life to have a baby whatsoever and now you want a medal because you're only claiming the dole instead of what you could get?
    Only for the poor child all you should get is a good kick up your arse for being so stupid to make a baby when you're in no position to put food on the table for it.
    And to be actually looking for approval for this stuff...fkn hilarious

i happen to agree - unmarried mums benefit has always been a contentuous issue. but you shouldnt have kids if you cant afford them. They are yours and not the states (the rest of us taxpayers) responsibility.

Fred83 wrote: »
    Dont know why should the min wage workers bother paying tax,its them sort of people that who fund the grant system dont get an entiltement to a college grant if they live at home,like the law theres one rule for the rich,one rule for the poor

Fred my point is that education is costly and the funds to pay for it are raised from lots of people who havent benefited.

I am not saying the low waged shouldnt pay tax -just that the students should genuinely appreciate what they are given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

p28559 wrote: »

At a minimum everyone claiming UA should have to go and collect it rather than getting it paid into a bank account. Any new claims are not paid into bank accounts i believe.People are alledged to be claiming while living outside of the country.

i might be wrong but do non nationals not have to collect theres now. it was changed because of that situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Don't be worrying, the dole will be cut at the end of the month, by how much I do not know, but I would put a guess at about 180? Any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

At the very mininum the 8 euro raise that was given in the last budget will be removed.

But it may be more, we shall see shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Don't be worrying, the dole will be cut at the end of the month, by how much I do not know, but I would put a guess at about 180?

well if it is cut....will the unemployed protest??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

chrism2007 wrote: »
    i might be wrong but do non nationals not have to collect theres now. it was changed because of that situation

Anyone claiming JA now has to collect it at a post office, since early last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

fryup wrote: »
    well if it is cut....will the unemployed protest??

They might strike and decide to start working!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 crocadile dunde

They should increase the dole by another 20 euros :D:D:D:D.why are all you bitter tax payers ranting about cutting it do ye expect us to eat bread n pasta every night i dont think so i love n old T-bone for me tea :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

They should increase the dole by another 20 euros :D:D:D:D.why are all you bitter tax payers ranting about cutting it do ye expect us to eat bread n pasta every night i dont think so i love n old T-bone for me tea :D:D:D:D:D:D

its mcdonalds for you!! ya slacker;)

philstar wrote: »
    its mcdonalds for you!! ya slacker;)

you tell em- clean up supermacs -ban dole cheats:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

bet your the type of person who looks for yellow stickers in tesco :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

CDfm wrote: »
    I am not saying the low waged shouldnt pay tax -just that the students should genuinely appreciate what they are given.

im agreeing with you there mate,i just think do that the people that really need grants like working class and such arent entitled to college/back to education grants because it seems to favor the well off

• Registered Users Posts: 38 crocadile dunde

CDfm wrote: »
    you tell em- clean up supermacs -ban dole cheats:rolleyes:
    Whats wrong with cleaning supermacs Mr/Ms hige n mighty:D

Take from irish indepenent

Independent.ie
    Professionals join scramble for McDonald's jobs

By Gordon Deegan
    Tuesday March 03 2009

UNEMPLOYED bankers, accountants and architects have applied for jobs in a new branch of McDonald's.

The professionals sought the 'McJobs' in Ennis, Co Clare where unemployment has soared by 73pc over the past year.

Kieran McDermott, the franchisee at the new fast-food restaurant, said yesterday: "It's no joke."

"We've had applications from bankers, accountants and architects to work at the Ennis outlet. I had to do a double-take on the CVs."

Mr McDermott had to remove a 'Now Hiring' banner on the site of the new restaurant after 10 days.

"In 10 days, we had 500 job applications. The jobs were advertised nowhere else except for the banner we put up," he said.

McDonald's is one of the few companies expanding, and it has plans to open 240 new outlets in Europe creating 12,000 jobs.

- Gordon Deegan

mary hanifan is planning to do a crack down on those from north who are claiming the dole from the south,saying it will save tax payers millions,still think they are still going backwards,nothing about those who lived on dole for year or the stupid law for paying kids that dont live in the country,also there is hints that the dole will be cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

About time! Goodness knows how much money has been given to people defrauding the country in this manner. I can't believe they failed to pick up on this before? A friend lived with someone who claimed two dole payments, one in his name as Gaeilge and the other in his English name!! Who knows what other scams are going on..

its going to become a shock to you ales,but its been stated here,irish posters here know irish people who where still drawing it during the good times and still yet to be kicked off!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

mary hanifan is planning to do a crack down on those from north who are claiming the dole from the south,saying it will save tax payers millions,still think they are still going backwards,nothing about those who lived on dole for year or the stupid law for paying kids that dont live in the country,also there is hints that the dole will be cut

It's funny, a town/village with a population of 747 people has over 1000 people claiming to be unemployed.

If the dole is cut it'll probably only be €5-10, I can't see them cutting it back to €100 a week.

theres talks about of cutting the child/single parents benefit

its going to become a shock to you ales,but its been stated here,irish posters here know irish people who where still drawing it during the good times and still yet to be kicked off!

well would you shop a dole cheat -i think it would be fairly ok and wouldnt cost me a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jonnie_doyle

I wonder how long that dope Cowen and the rest of those bandits in the dail would last on the dole....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Personally, I think this is more worthy of 30 pages.....
    LAST YEAR some of the richest people in the State, people who earned in the region of €90,000 a week and more, paid income tax at a rate of 20 per cent, the same rate as people who were earning €500 a week.
    The study examined the income tax affairs of the State’s 400 top earners and found that 80 had paid income tax at an effective rate of less than 15 per cent. Three paid no tax at all, 45 paid at a rate of less than 5 per cent, and 17 paid tax at rates between five and 10 per cent.
    link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

I deeply disagree with some of the comments made in this thread.

One of my family is currently in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance for the fact the both he and his wife are unable to find work, despite both having third level qualifications.

Even without the extortionate rent that some Landlords charge tenants, the money they receive isn't by any means extravagent when each could be earning up to 600 per week if they were employed. For a single person, its enough to get by and have one or two luxuries but its by no means a fabulous life that many lucky enough to be employed think it is.

Being Irish, we have to begrudge one another and think the grass is greener if unemployed, but the sad truth of the matter is that it's not all its cracked up to be.

Of course there are a number of people, in every town who people know are somehow defrauding the system and living the high life, but that's why the Department of Social and Family Affairs can review payments if they receive complaints or form the opinion that all is not above board and the benefit is not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

having read the various posts it seems to be getting away from a basic question.

it we accept that the country is nearly broke and borrowing how ever million a day to keep going....

then the question is can a government with no money continue to pay social welfare at the levels of the celtic tiger.
    very few are living it large on the dole.its not about whether you can survive on the dole..or not.

why do people who know those engaged in social welfare fraud not report them.

some one tell me why....i assume there is a confidential numbe to ring..although i cant see a report from a nameless person being acted on...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is the dole too much??

well considering they only get 50 quid a week up north and in the uk....well then yes its way to much

some people have it way too cushty on the dole......like my cousin ...has the life of reilly..spends his days rideing all around him, in the bookies, shootin pool, in the pub etc.. hasn't worked in two years...in his late 20s, fit as a fiddle but as lazy as f&ck:rolleyes:

i asked when is he going to get a job and he laughed in my face and said ..."will you go away out of that im having too much of a good time"

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

janullrich wrote: »
    Well personally I will have to go on the dole this week and I am not looking forward to it one bit. However after been let go last week I am entitled to it and I don't think what you get is too much. I will still look for a job but chances are u will need to set up ur own business or emigrate (god knows where though) However the government should do more to get lazy layabouts off their backsides and look for jobs somewhere. I know a guy who I used to live with who spent his dole money on alcohol and nothing much else. He did a bit of caddie work. These people are the ones where dole money is too much and who should be made to suffer by it being scraped.

Also we have these so called refugees from countries like Nigeria who while some work are the worst welfare scrougers going. These are the ones who should get no money at all. The problem with Ireland is that we are so generous to these people when what we should be doing is deporting them.
    May be you should go to Nigeria and help them there, it will be good for you as you have no job here. You could immigrate there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

And what about those you are woring but are getting dole money as well. saving that money for holidays, extras luxury etc... the government should take action against them instead of talking rubbish. People have gone far enough with the dole money and its time to take some action.
    If you lost your job , its obvious you have to be on the dole for a while. People have been living in luxuries recently so its time for them to think about their times 10-20 years ago when ireland was a poor country.

Advertisement