Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Should be on a declining scale, cut 10% every 2 months for anyone healthy and under say 50 years old.

Only if PAYE is on a declining scale, cut by 10% every 2 months for anyone healthy and under say 50 years old.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 budrick

i have no idea what world some of you are living in but the dole in this country is in no way to high ,i am on the dole (through no fault of mine) and i find it hard to make ends meet, while i am able to work, it seems that any would be employers out there will not cover me insurance wise because of health issues , the E204 i get each week has me constantly moving my meager money around just so i can get by,, having to pay bills for food,light,clothes,toiletries etc,etc tends to leave you with nothing in your pocket and by the following tuesday i am skint . Irishcrx , your friend seems to have found a way ,who knows how , to survive , it could be that he is using the system in some way but that does not mean that those of us who are on the dole and dont want to be there have to suffer ,

hell ,a friend of mine who is married with one kid and works for the local county council as part of the road crew (has a mortgage as well) had his wage cut by a E100 and is now coming out with just less than someone in his position on the dole , does anyone realise that ireland is considered to be one of the most expensive countrys in the EU with it being at least a full 33% more expensive that the rest with the exception of sweden (or norway i think),everything from chocolate to socks to computers to cars to medicine will set you back an arm or a leg money wise ,even people who say to use a means test dont get it as the test tends to miss a lot of folks who need it and give it to folks who have a load of money coming in (2 high paid jobs and the like) and i know of several who that happened to , they were even shopped and it came back as " they are entitiled to it so they get it ". there is a lot that this countrys government has screwed up but dont forget that WE are the ones that put them there in the first place , WE are the ones that voted them into power ,, look at all the money that they spend on useless things that are covered by " expenses " :rolleyes: ,

they are going to or have cut the budget for the health board already (E1Billion ?) , money that it needs , but what will they not touch ? the money that they spend on themselves is the answer , they wont even give themselves a cut in their wage , their wage is over E2000 a week even when the dail is not in session , not to mention their allowences that they keep and have to spend or else they wont get the same amount next year , where is that fair ? yet in order to keep themselves and their money chums rolling in it they take it away from the ordinary joe soap that works hard or those that are unable to cope ...

it all boils down to one thing , corruption ,, banks got greedy ,paid off government types , government got greedy ,paid off bank types or governments paid off governments one way or another ,, look how much money ireland was owed by the UN for over seas actions and a word here and there from the UN to the government and the owed money is cancelled ,corruption is rife in this country ,from the small companys not paying their employes enough or under the table , giving backhanders to county council (or higher) members to get what they want, up to the big multi-nationals doing the same to the government ,its every where and its the little guy who gets it in the gut where it hurts, i can see one thing happening if the ordinary joe soap on the street is continued to be the butt of the cuts and that is maybe at least civil unrest or at worst civil war ,

even if they cut the dole by E4 ,that means that i am down a slice pan , butter and 6 eggs ,, while that might not seem like much ,for a person who has little to nothing coming in money wise that would be a meal for a day for a small family , so what if there are spongers on the dole ,, in trying to get rid of them you are going to hit the innocent as well , the one thing that is rife in this or any country is corruption and i hope to god that we never have a dole system like the states where entire familys are thrown of the dole with no way to survive except steal (and that is richest country in the world) just because they were on it for to long ,,there is no sure fire way to clear things up without causing harm to others , you do know that rent allowences have been cut ? as well as the following , fuel , electricity , gas and phone , what happens to those who cant afford the high bills that are coming in the doors now ? has anyone got a E400 electric bill yet ? try paying that when you are not covered by the dole allowences and you freeze in the middle of winter just because you have no money to spare and then they cut you off and any food in your fridge rots because it cant be kept cold ..

if you are on the dole and are living it up then you are a git ,, if you are not on the dole and are complaining about how much we are given why dont you drop your budget down to dole levels for what ever circumstance you are at (married, single ,single parent ,etc) and live at that level for 6 months at least WITHOUT touching any extra money saved away in your accounts and see how well you do , maybe then you will learn what its like to be one of those who have to struggle to keep their head above water and not let the debt collectors appear on your doorstep demanding your blood for payment, it really does gall me that their are idiots out there that have absolutely no idea how the other poorer half of the community lives and try to put them down when they think they are getting to much , those idiots want to wake up before they join us down at our level when they loose everything and see what it is that we do and do not have :mad:,,,...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

fryup wrote: »
    is the dole too much??

well considering they only get 50 quid a week up north and in the uk....well then yes its way to much

Great, now let them pay the same prices for EVERYTHING up the north as we do here and let's see how well they fare.
    FFS, some of these comparisons are absurd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wow. First post in 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

bluewolf wrote: »
    Great, now let them pay the same prices for EVERYTHING up the north as we do here and let's see how well they fare.
    FFS, some of these comparisons are absurd.

Yes because stuff costs 4 times as much down here as up north..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭ec18

Wagon wrote: »
    If people are trying to find a job and can't get one, then yes they should get the dole payment. But if they aren't actively trying to find work in any way then it should be cut, or at least make them pay half their rent. Cuts out the wasters. but you can't cut everyones dole down, there's a lot of people out there who want to work but can't.

True but with something like the dole you have to go with the "lowest common denominator" or introduce a gauged system

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

This little guy seems to having a field day in this thread:
    :rolleyes:

Is being used to bolster left, right and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

shows how much the td's are afraid of civil servants,i havent heard any of them saying,thanks to civ servants strikeing they are delaying peoples process for welfare payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

think we are bad,look at england,specially with this well know character "shameless mick",i only came across his name it he was on utv one nite,

Never mind 'Shameless Mick', what about his women?
    By AMANDA PLATELL
    Last updated at 10:25 18 November 2006
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-417167/Never-mind-Shameless-Mick-women.html
    Flanked by his wife and mistress (both of them pregnant), and surrounded by his 15 children from five relationships, Mick Philpott is testimony to Blair's Britain.

'Shameless Mick', as neighbours call him, is the ultimate feckless father, a man to be pitied and despised in equal measure.

Despite receiving £500 a week in benefits - that's £26,000 a year! - he is railing against being denied a bigger council house. Without a shred of irony, he says: 'I used to love my country, but I'm just sick of it now, ashamed of what's happening.'

I know the feeling, Mr Philpott. In truth, there are countless ' Shameless Micks' in this country, breeding feral children who end up in care if they're lucky, or in prison if they're not. But aren't his wife, Mairead, and mistress, Lisa, equally shameless?

For decades it has been unthinkable to blame women for anything. If a woman was unemployed, it was because heartless bosses didn't offer family-friendly hours. If she had children by different men who never stayed around for their upbringing, it was the men's fault. If her children got in trouble with the law, then our 'uncaring' society was to blame. So let me say the unsayable: these feckless females are as much - if not more - to blame for the growing underclass of rootless, hopeless, white working-class boys who are causing ever-growing problems in Britain today.

In an age when contraception is freely available, and nearly 100 per cent reliable, what possible excuse is there for a woman who chooses to bring kids into dysfunctional households such as Mick Philpott's?

These children are let down by their mothers before they are even born. With no decent role models and no moral structure in their lives, the only lesson they learn is that in Blair's Britain you can 'earn' £26,000 a year by sitting on your backside, just like Dad.

A report for the Social Justice Policy Group, led by former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith, revealed this week that despite the extra billions poured into areas of greatest deprivation, only 17 per cent of poor, white boys get five or more A to C grades at GCSE. For the first time they were outperformed by black Caribbean boys.

Sadly, women are not the victims in this cycle of despair. They're the culprits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Fred83 wrote: »
    think we are bad,look at england,specially with this well know character "shameless mick",i only came across his name it he was on utv one nite,

Never mind 'Shameless Mick', what about his women?
    By AMANDA PLATELL
    Last updated at 10:25 18 November 2006
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-417167/Never-mind-Shameless-Mick-women.html

that guy mick and his two women should be on the retard thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What makes me laugh is this "sharing the pain" the rich already pay huge amounts of tax, so do the middle class, it seems the only ones that dont share the pain are the ones who contribute nothing in the first place! And im not talking about people who have just been laid off etc, I am talking about the quite sizeable proportion of scroungers in this country who have never or never intend on working a day in there lives! They breed like rats while pilliging the state coffers! for money that was paid in by those who actually go out and do an honest weeks work! and these are the very same people the scroungers begrudge! we are a nation of bleeding hearts! Alot of people here got far too big for their boots and were living a lifestyle that was leagues above where they should be!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What makes me laugh is this "sharing the pain" the rich already pay huge amounts of tax, so do the middle class, it seems the only ones that dont share the pain are the ones who contribute nothing in the first place! And im not talking about people who have just been laid off etc, I am talking about the quite sizeable proportion of scroungers in this country who have never or never intend on working a day in there lives! They breed like rats while pilliging the state coffers! for money that was paid in by those who actually go out and do an honest weeks work! and these are the very same people the scroungers begrudge! we are a nation of bleeding hearts! Alot of people here got far too big for their boots and were living a lifestyle that was leagues above where they should be!

Well said.
    This year is one christmas they wont have a double week to spend on extra drink and tracksuits though.
    About bleeding time too.
    Nobody gives me a free weeks wages at xmas because i actually was foolish enough to get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

My brother is on the dole, he was made redundant in November. With just the dole, he can:

-Save for an engagement ring
    -Save for two holidays
    -Save for a house

And still have money left over to pay his loans. Admittedly he then has almost no money for the week, but the point is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Confab wrote: »
    My brother is on the dole, he was made redundant in November. With just the dole, he can:

-Save for two holidays
    -Save for a house

And still have money left over to pay his loans. Admittedly he then has almost no money for the week, but the point is made.

I could do that too, admittedly I'd be saving fúck all but I'd still be saving.
    not much of a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

-Save for two holidays
    -Save for a house

You can save all you want. But you're not buying a house, having two holidays and getting an engagement ring with just the money you get from the dole.

Are you sure your brother doesn't deal coke as well?

I never said he was buying the house this year. He lives at home and doesn't pay rent. €816 a month is a lot when you don't have to use much of it.

In response to the dole not changing yesterday, he did say that he'd be happy to see it drop to €180 per week.

I never said he was buying the house this year. He lives at home and doesn't pay rent. €816 a month is a lot when you don't have to use much of it.

He shouldn't be getting the full dole if he lives with his parents surely?

So your brother is committing welfare fraud?

So your brother is committing welfare fraud?

The joys of jumping to conclusions on the internet :rolleyes: I'm the only one working in the family, my parents are both disabled. My brother was means tested based on that.

Would you like to accuse my parents of disability fraud as well while you're at it? Perhaps giving up reading the Sun would be helpful for you.

The joys of jumping to conclusions on the internet :rolleyes: I'm the only one working in the family, my parents are both disabled. My brother was means tested based on that.

Would you like to accuse my parents of disability fraud as well while you're at it? Perhaps giving up reading the Sun would be helpful too.

So your point is that in this specific case the dole is too much?

Would you like to accuse my parents of disability fraud as well while you're at it? Perhaps giving up reading the Sun would be helpful for you.

Nice assumption dude. I had absolutely no way in hell of knowing that your parents are disabled so get on your bike and trot along. Also if you note there was a question mark at the end of my sentence. I didn't state your brother was committing welfare fraud, I asked was he.

Your point about the dole is still only relevant to this case. Overall the dole is not too much and no person who has to pay rent and fend for themselves is saving any serious amount for a house while on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Degsy wrote: »
    Nobody gives me a free weeks wages at xmas because i actually was foolish enough to get a job.

Get a better job then.

Frankly, i think this is a ****ty move, as much as people bleat on and on with their notions of everyone on the dole being sponging scum (only to sheepishly recant when they're told they're being stupid), there are plenty of people who are on the dole through no fault of their own and are now shafted come christmas.

Sweeping, almost arbitary, cuts into social welfare aren't a solution, no matter what others might think. A reform of how the system works and who is entitled to what would be far more effective than blanket cuts and/or increases.

Get a better job then.

Frankly, i think this is a ****ty move, as much as people bleat on and on with their notions of everyone on the dole being sponging scum (only to sheepishly recant when they're told they're being stupid), there are plenty of people who are on the dole through no fault of their own and are now shafted come christmas.
    Plenty of time to get a job in that time.
    The dole isnt supposed to be a lifestyle choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

to the people telling others to get a job....where exactly? to those who have not been job hunting in the last 10 months or so, you have absolutely no idea how bad the situation is.

i'll write this nice and clearly so there are no misunderstandings..

THERE ARE MORE UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE THAN THERE ARE JOBS

ferdi wrote: »
    THERE ARE MORE UNEMPLOYED PEOPLE THAN THERE ARE JOBS available

Surely you meant this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Degsy wrote: »
    Plenty of time to get a job in that time.

Nobody said it was.

The fact remains people will be on the dole through no fault of their own at christmas and will be shafted.

For lots of people I know it is. I'm not begrudging them, I've spent enough time on the dole to know that it's sh!te, and I'm very fortunate to have a job. It's just that I blew most of my dole on PC games and restaurants. In plenty of cases it's waaaay too much. If it's not, then why is the dole only £55 up north?

Is the cost of living really 3-4 times more expensive in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Surely you meant this.

yes thats what i meant, well spotted, here's an ice cream.

The fact remains people will be on the dole through no fault of their own at christmas and will be shafted.

Whose fault is it then?
    Christmas is 8 months away..plenty of time to find work.
    Why should they get a double week anyway?
    To spend on drink?

ferdi wrote: »
    yes thats what i meant, well spotted, here's an ice cream.

Awesome. Thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

aoife34 wrote: »
    I think it is too much becuase most people i know are not just getting the dole, they get rent allowance, medical card, lone parent. They get paid to mind their children at home, when a lot of people pay sky high prices for creche and doctors fee's and full mortgage payments.

I do not think there are enough social welfare investigations for fraud.

1) you only get rent allowance if you're living in private rented accommodation, you dont get it if your in a council house. And if you're living in private rented accomodation then you cannot work because they deduct everything you earn from your rent allowance bar fifty euros. So if you have kids and can get someone to look after them for 50 euros a week then you might break even as long as it costs nothing to get to and from work.
    2) you don't get dole and lone parents, you get one or the other. And for two dependant children you get less than fifty euros a week extra.
    The dole is 200e a week, lone parents is 237 a week, and thats for 2 children. So where is the payment for staying home to mind the kids?? The 37e, is that what you're talking about??

As for working, for people with little or no qualifications (which is most people on lone parents) it costs 1000e per month for two children in a creche, so straight away they would need to be earning at least 250e per week just to cover creche fees alone. They are lone parents after all, so its a single income family.

Can anybody seriously tell me that they genuinely believe that if the social welfare was cut that tax would come down??? They would just find something else to swallow it.

While I am aware that there are a few fraudsters, the majority are not. And given the choice of flippin burgers in mcdonalds or sittin round in me trackies all day smokin roll ups cause thursday wont come fast enough, I know which one my pride wouldn't allow me to do. I gave up smokin 2 years ago cause I couldnt afford them

Advertisement