Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jvr

I agree with what somebody mentioned before about arranging for people on the dole to do community service etc.clean up the parks, beaches etc.
    I'm on the dole myself as my fixed term contract was not renewed at the onset of this whole recession thing....
    I have personal commitments to keep my job search to galway so this limits me a bit more....I have undertaken a lot of voluntary work as it is and I think its important to feel like you are doing something worthwhile and keep positive. From the nature of the voluntary work it's helped me gain skills I can use in a paid job as well e.g. communication/presentation skills...
    anyway I do this coz I'm a bit freaked out that the longer you're out of work the more you may be discriminated against if you're going for a job and the employer asks you to explain the big gap in your cv....while its all very well and good to blame the recession i think you have to get out and do something in between....
    I'm happy enough with the amount I get on the dole but I don't spend it on rubbish...I think I've learned a lot more since being on it like im just realising how much money i wasted when i had a job. I make it go further now and I can't wait to get back to work coz i know I'll save loads a lot quicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

I worked for 4 years in College and have worked a lot of varied jobs since College.

I have finally decided that the only long-term viable plan for my future employment is to qualify as a legal professional, working at what I studied in College.

In the meantime, I have taken out loans and got myself in debt to try and further my ambition.

Now I hear that I might only get a few quid, depending on the findings of the person doing the means test.

So, no, the dole is not too much. In fact, i dont know what it is even going to be.

Sure, on paper it says 200 quid.

Could be they give me far less- even though I share a box room with my brother and am making loan repayments and have a lifetime of quasi-debt ahead of me.

Degsy wrote: »
    How come?
    I've noticed a massive increase in the amount of taxes i've had to pay lately in order that people can get free money.
    I sympathise enormously with people who have worked for ever and suddenly find themselves redundent but there are a lot of people who are quite happy to sit back and accept the handouts untill somebody offers them the easy-going job they feel they're entitled to.
    There are people on here and elsewher who HAVNT been working very long,who are young and able bodied suddenly wracked with a from of lazy fatalism.."there's no jobs in IT,i'm NOT working in a pub etc" and its these,as well as the professional dole scroungers that i have a problem with.
    There are people talking about being on the dole for two years or more until "companies start hiring"..what sort of attitude is that?
    What happened to people's desire to help themselves?
    I've said this before but a lot of people in this country have no idea how to help themselves as they've had things too bleeding easy,school to college to a job in IT and on to the dole..no life experience and no ambition.

As I was saying in a post above- my attitude was, after my Benefit ceased {PRSI stamps had expired} was that I was better seeking a tax rebate and getting a loan.

That didnt pan out- I had to go back to study and still no job- so now I moved back in with my folks and share a box room.

In the meantime, I just got word, albeit informally, that the means tester might not allow me but a small portion of the 204 that is nominally available to recipients.

Why that should be, with me in debt and trying to get ahead, is beyond me.

I dont want to be on the dole as my Barrister buddies clean up...why not give me the full whack and let me get the hell out of this hole I am in.

But apparently not, reckons the welfare.

Unfair says I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've noticed a massive increase in the amount of taxes i've had to pay lately in order that people can get free money.

We've paid for our dole with PRSI contributions. It's not and has never been free. Everyone contributes to society and everyone is entitled to the safety net implied, especially in today's economy.

Unemployed people pay taxes and duties. VAT, petrol, diesel, alcohol, insurance etc.

There is no such thing as free money unless you happen to be a developer.

Confab wrote: »
    We've paid for our dole with PRSI contributions. It's not and has never been free. Everyone contributes to society and everyone is entitled to the safety net implied, especially in today's economy.

Unemployed people pay taxes and duties. VAT, petrol, diesel, alcohol, insurance etc.

There is no such thing as free money unless you happen to be a developer.

AInt that the truth.

Some people miss the point.

The last time I claimed welfare, I got it off PRSI stamps.

I was getting 160 Euro per week.

My rent was Originally 400, and then it went up to 475. Per month. Not including my food.

So, with there being 4.5 weeks in any given month, thats 160 times 4= 640.

Less the 475 of rent = not a whole bloody load.

My rent constituted a significant portion of somebody elses mortgage payment...a payment which was keeping a lot of people in a job, in a bank, in a mortgage company, out there in the system.

I was still paying for food, transport, you name it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

How come?

I just find it funny that you're berating people for spending time on the internet whinging. Also, while i have you here, any idea what colour this kettle is?

I've said this before but a lot of people in this country have no idea how to help themselves as they've had things too bleeding easy,school to college to a job in IT and on to the dole..no life experience and no ambition.

Why the hate for IT professionals, surely that sweeping generalisation could be applied to any field of work with equal (that is to say, none) validity.

And i see nothing wrong with people holding out for a little bit longer to try and get something in the industry they're trained in, anyone can work in a shop, but if you're trained and experienced in a field then you are an asset and you'll get picked up soon enough if you keep at it.

And to go back to your original bitch at IT, that industry moves fast, two years sat out (either on the dole or elsewhere) could well be a very bad move, you'll be less hireable when things pick up owing to your skillset being outdated and you'd also lack experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The OP wasn't drinking in Ballycullen, Co Dublin tonight by any chance? We had to listen to some whining Celtic Tiger cub's soapbox dissertation on dole reduction from the next table all night. At ear-splitting levels. Was this close to 'having a word' with them.

Minister Hanafin said that 2009 will see “an extra €2.6 billion being allocated to Social Welfare, bringing the total spend to over €19.5 billion.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/PressReleases/2008/Pages/pr041108.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scumbag007

seamus wrote: »
    If you think that sleeping, eating and smoking is a good way to spend your day, and living in a ****ty part of the city in a ****ty place and only having €200/week to spend is the definition of "great living", then off you go.

Personally, actually filling my day with stuff is far more rewarding. I've done the "no job" bit - getting up at midday and cooking burger and chips, then watching TV till 8pm. It gets old after a week and you spend your entire day in mind-numbing boredom.

But yes, I do think the dole is too much. It should be a series of "allowances", where the person presents receipts for their rent, medical bills and any other fixed costs, and the government looks after that. Then they get a small subsistence, say €100/week for food and clothing. Giving people a wad of cash to blow on whatever they like only serves to compound the problem in cases where the person is unemployed by choice.

Of course there UNEMPLOYED by choice, i know a very good mate of mine
    who has all sorts of computer skills and whatnot, however he is totally the oppiste of everybody else basically he is as i classify him Anti-Jobseeker
    he wont go on training courses or seek further employment because the whole workforce/place iis NOTHING MORE than inequality, discrimination getting up in the morning for somebody else and slaving and slaving slaving away for the rest of your life thats why he dosent want ANYTHING to with employment WHATSOEVER. Also the strang thing is he has NEVER worked a day in his life he is currently on the dole because he sees it as a hammock. He has no social life or presonality he is hotheaded with people who tell him he should get a job. His answer to that is clearly I DONT WANT TO WORK however he is trying to get skills to make money online
    designing websites, advertising etc... so he will NEVER have to worry about a job again in your life, he is trying to give the finger to financial struggles. Hope that works for him though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scumbag007

How come?
    I sympathise enormously with people who have worked for ever and suddenly find themselves redundent but there are a lot of people who are quite happy to sit back and accept the handouts untill somebody offers them the easy-going job they feel they're entitled to.
    There are people on here and elsewher who HAVNT been working very long,who are young and able bodied suddenly wracked with a from of lazy fatalism.."there's no jobs in IT,i'm NOT working in a pub etc" and its these,as well as the professional dole scroungers that i have a problem with.
    There are people talking about being on the dole for two years or more until "companies start hiring"..what sort of attitude is that?
    What happened to people's desire to help themselves?

Thats exactly the way i am mate: No Ambitions, Intentions to get a job or nothing, especially in todays ****E economy just keep your head down and die

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the way the current system/ecomony is,the dole doesnt even encourage you to seek work,for example,some companys are advertiseing for xmas staff already,with feck all hours you will end up with more money if you stayed on the dole itself,along with if you where decided to go for the work and try to get the dole pay the rest you could end up getting yourself kicked off the dole for doing an honest days work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

scumbag007 wrote: »
    ... just keep your head down and die

Aim high. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Ive been working since Im 16, was let go through no fault of my own a few months back. Just the place I worked lost major clients so I was let go. Now I was by no means living beyond my means when I had a job but of course I have a car loan still to pay even though I have no job. The governement does not pay my rent so basically my 200euro goes as follows:

Rent 80e
    Loan 80e
    Groceries 15e
    Petrol 10e

I am left with 20euro then to cover esb, bins and heating oil for the week, or so 80 for the month which does not cover it. I have sent out over 200 cv`s and am getting nowhere with it. How the hell can you say the dole is a great life?? People have been let go from their jobs, would you rather we were out on the street>>??

Im qualified put myself through college, and night college and Ive been spoken to like scum when I tryed to use the stamps that Ive been paying into for 10 years while I put myself through college on the side. I now get 200e a week and can barely afford to eat, and you have the gaul on you to say that its too much. I hope some day you get to have th great life of making 200e last a week and not being able to afford petrol to go to family events.

You make me sick people who say the dole is too much really have no clue of what people who were let go through no fault of their own have to go through! Believe me its no fukn walk in the park.

Not everybody on the dole is a scumbag living in a bloody council house smoking their life away watching fukn Jeremy Kyle thinking this is the high life. Engage yer brain before ya go posting this kinda nonsense again OP.

Ive been working since Im 16, was let go through no fault of my own a few months back. Just the place I worked lost major clients so I was let go. Now I was by no means living beyond my means when I had a job but of course I have a car loan still to pay even though I have no job. The governement does not pay my rent so basically my 200euro goes as follows:

Rent 80e
    Loan 80e
    Groceries 15e
    Petrol 10e

I am left with 20euro then to cover esb, bins and heating oil for the week, or so 80 for the month which does not cover it. I have sent out over 200 cv`s and am getting nowhere with it. How the hell can you say the dole is a great life?? People have been let go from their jobs, would you rather we were out on the street>>??

Im qualified put myself through college, and night college and Ive been spoken to like scum when I tryed to use the stamps that Ive been paying into for 10 years while I put myself through college on the side. I now get 200e a week and can barely afford to eat, and you have the gaul on you to say that its too much. I hope some day you get to have th great life of making 200e last a week and not being able to afford petrol to go to family events.

You make me sick people who say the dole is too much really have no clue of what people who were let go through no fault of their own have to go through! Believe me its no fukn walk in the park.

Not everybody on the dole is a scumbag living in a bloody council house smoking their life away watching fukn Jeremy Kyle thinking this is the high life. Engage yer brain before ya go posting this kinda nonsense again OP.

And as for free money! Theres no such thing Im paying me stamps since Im 16 and theres no way in **** Im going to apologise for getting what Ive well paid up on. If every other ****er jumping off a boat coming into this country can get it, I wont be holding back on looking for it when I need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Im about to go on the dole for the first time. And beleave me E200 is f- all... I gave up my job of 8yrs in order to pursue what i want to do.. Everybody says your mad blah blah. But im 26 not geting any younger and im sick of doing the hard work.. While they drive round in mercs and what not.. Ive worked up 8yrs of stamps so im entitled to get something back.. Better than working your hole life and getting nothing.. Only the goverment wasting it all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Rent 80e
    Loan 80e
    Groceries 15e
    Petrol 10e

You have a valid point ...but grammatically your post does not show the hardwork you have put towards college.
    I think you have to understand the fact that people who complain about the amount that the unemployed get in Ireland are entitiled to their opinion as well .

procure11 wrote: »
    You have a valid point ...but grammatically your post does not show the hardwork you have put towards college.
    I think you have to understand the fact that people who complain about the amount that the unemployed get in Ireland are entitiled to their opinion as well .

Well I dont need a grammar lesson from anybody on an internet forum alright! I have to understand whatever I want to understand, I dont have to understand what you or anybody else tells me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Well I dont need a grammar lesson from anybody on an internet forum alright! I have to understand whatever I want to understand, I dont have to understand what you or anybody else tells me to.

Strange you didn't reply to the last part....I am sorry if I hurt your feelings ,if you have honest concerns about how the unemployed are villified ..AH is the worst place to express it ...believe me.

Strange you didn't reply to the last part....I am sorry if I hurt your feelings ,if you have honest concerns about how the unemployed are villified ..AH is the worst place to express it ...believe me.

The last part,...............ok you want a response to the last part? You made 2 points one re my grammar and one re my needing to understand that other people are entitled to their opinion, as I said I do not need the grammar lesson and I do not need to understand what you may think I need to understand.

I do think your right about AH`s though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

honestly though there has to be changes in the way ppl receive dole payments!! Some people have worked 10/15 years and have been left go, while on the other side there are people who are on dole since they were 18 years old! They are gettin same dole!! some of these people should be sent out to clean streets,cut grass watever just to get them of their couch and stop laughing at ppl who worked their entire life and are being treated the same as them!

• Advertisement

listowel1 wrote: »
    honestly though there has to be changes in the way ppl receive dole payments!! Some people have worked 10/15 years and have been left go, while on the other side there are people who are on dole since they were 18 years old! They are gettin same dole!! some of these people should be sent out to clean streets,cut grass watever just to get them of their couch and stop laughing at ppl who worked their entire life and are being treated the same as them!

Id agree with that because when I went in to sign on I was treated like something the girl stpeed in. I told her not to speak to me like that, that Im not some scumbag, that I had probably spoken to her on the phone 2 weeks previous through my job and theres no way she barked at me the way she did when I was in to sign on for unemployment benefit. I know yes there are people who think their so clever getting their 200quid a week for scratching their hole but theres a lot like me, who worked since they came out of school and then ended up in this situation. I know a lot view people signing on as scum or whatever but not all jobseekers are scum dodging work, Im horrified to be in this situation and hate to be tarred as a scummer on the dole when Im far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Why is this thread still going???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

This kind of posting really grinds my gears, it really is pathetic, the chap made more than a few relevant points defending his position, the least you can do is the same instead of taking cheap shots about spelling errors. People might be entitled to complain about the amount paid on the dole, but are you seriously begrugding this guy the money he gets?! No one is just justified in questioning someone in a position such as this.

While there are certain people, such as the €4k per month benefits family, who do get too much, this chap clearly isnt one.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Guessing you aren't on the dole then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

the world would probably be a much nicer place to live in if people just concentrated on their own situation and stfu about other peoples

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

pf85 wrote: »
    The dole in the north is only around £50 a week (£48 I think)... I no there are gennuine people out there trying to get jobs and cant with the current climate but I think 200euro a week is too much and doesnt encourage some people to get jobs.

I would agree, im also from the North and never realised the dole in the south was so much! On the other hand im not well versed on living in the south so maybe its comparative with what we get.

I'v never been on the dole myself thankfully. Its been hard recently as i only hold a part time job which infrequently gives me hours. I would probably be better off on welfare but have been holding off as i felt if i sweated it out id be more motivated to find work. :DGot an interview on sunday so hopefully it will pay off.

Frelance wrote: »
    I would agree, im also from the North and never realised the dole in the south was so much! On the other hand im not well versed on living in the south so maybe its comparative with what we get.

I'v never been on the dole myself thankfully. Its been hard recently as i only hold a part time job which infrequently gives me hours. I would probably be better off on welfare but have been holding off as i felt if i sweated it out id be more motivated to find work. :DGot an interview on sunday so hopefully it will pay off.

Best of luck with your interview!:) Fingers crossed for you.

Suppose though the fact that people will fill the car with petrol to go across the border for the grocery and still save a lot shows that comparing dole in the north to dole in the south is a bit of a useless comparison. I dont know anything now about rent prices up there buy there still fairly insane here even with all the drops people speak of.

I think dole heres been halved for school leavers now to try encourage them to get jobs, which is great. But this argument has been very generalised so far. Im lucky in that I have no kids but I know couples that were one income married couples where the one income earner was let go and because they are married theres a lot they cant claim, they both now get the dole and are seriously under pressure to meet their mortgage and not let the kids down. Its just not fair to say those people are not entitled to 200e a week. The dole does not = scumbag who doesnt want work for the mostpart anymore. A lot of my friends are in the same boat as me and would take a job anywhere at this stage purely because weve gone from a situation of 600 a week to 800 a month, not a great oul life on the dole by any means, and also as per this thread theres the stigma attached. I was ashamed I`ll admit when I started signing on but Ive seen the queues now, their not all dope smoking wasters its normal people like me, genuine people who cant believe theyve ended up in this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭DaveSlats

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the dole is far too high in this country, why would anyone want to get a job even if there was any. I have a mate I live it and he has more bloody money than I do and I work 45 hours a week. He has his rent payed for him by the government and pays 30 euro a month himself, and then the extra 200 a week as normal and this is without lifting a finger all he does all day is sleep, eat, smoke and eat and complain about being busy if he has to walk 5 mins to the shop at some point in the next 4 hours.

Do you think the government will be forced to cut the dole payments if the national debt and unemployment keeps rising?

Your mate sounds like he has other problems.

People who have contributed for many years and whom the 'Celtic Tiger' largely bypassed are now - many for the first time in their lives - becoming dependant on the state.

People wring their hands about somebody earning two hundred a week, while nobody has a bloody clue what multi-multi-billion NAMA is all about or whose interests it serves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

€200 a week should only be for people who've worked in the last few years. You also have to factor in that it's 200 per week plus your accommodation costs, medical costs and education costs paid for. When you add up all the various allowances, it's a more comfortable existence than trying to get by on minimum wage.

If you've been too lazy to work in the past few years, then you should be given just enough to get by on. If you want to be comfortable, go out and get a job. People who choose to live at the expense of the taxpayer instead of contributing are every bit as bad as the bankers and developers that people complain about.

Advertisement