Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Stark wrote: »
    €200 a week should only be for people who've worked in the last few years. You also have to factor in that it's 200 per week plus your accommodation costs, medical costs and education costs paid for. When you add up all the various allowances, it's a more comfortable existence than trying to get by on minimum wage.

If you've been too lazy to work in the past few years, then you should be given just enough to get by on. If you want to be comfortable, go out and get a job. People who choose to live at the expense of the taxpayer instead of contributing are every bit as bad as the bankers and developers that people complain about.

I get nothing towards my accomodation costs. So far Ive got nothing towards medical because I cant afford to go to the doctor because the doctor has to be within x miles of my house I have to go to a new doctor and he said he wont sign the form unless I make an appointment and I dont have a spare 50 quid. It is not a "comfortable existence" not for me anyway, its choking me completely! One week after paying the esb I was actually in a situation where I couldnt call a place about a job because I couldnt afford credit.Maybe for people living at home its comfortable but for people in rented accomodation who had a weekly income from a job its a crippler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

People should be means tested for the full €204 per week.While the dole is at this level,it discourages people from taking lower paid jobs.

For example,a friend of mine last his job at Christmas.He had worked for approx 7 years post grad so had more than paid up his fair share.

The problem is,he has a mortgage and is single.

He was offered a job a few months ago as a sales rep that paid €350 pw plus €150 expenses.He had to supply his own phone and own car.The job would have involved at least 2 fills of petrol per week and alot of phone calls.

He did some maths and came up with the following.

Take the job.

Salary after tax/Prsi circa €1700 per month
    Deductions - Petrol + phone bill : 400 to 500 per month.
    House Bills - food,esb etc - approx 200 per month.
    Mortgage - €850 per month.

He would have been left with approx €300 per month after deductions for working at least 200 hours per month.

Dont take the job

Dole - €816 per month
    Deductions - Petrol + Phone - around €100
    Mortgage - +150 (mortgage protector in place,he gets €150 refund every month)
    House bills - approx €200

He is left with almost €700 per month for working 0 hours per month.

What would you do?

Its grand for people like me that have no mortgage.I have recently accepted a job that pays less than the job I took post graduation 3 years ago,because I can.

Some people simply cannot afford to take a lower paid job because they have effectively priced themselves out of the market due to financial commitments.

With the dole at its current level,there is no real onus for alot of people (my friend included) to take any job they can get.

Ive seen from this thread that majority of people are begrudgers and love to sit back and judge other people and would sooner see people starve than give them a cent. A few here of those hard working individuals would want to get down off their high horse, anybody can get let go and end up on dole. Yes we get 200e a week whoop de fooking doo, now Im off to drink me weeks dole and scratch me balls,isnt that what we all do shure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I get nothing towards my accomodation costs.

You're the exception in that case. Most people have their accommodation paid for through rent allowance.

You're the exception in that case. Most people have their accommodation paid for through rent allowance.

Not if you live with a bf or gf you dont. Doesnt matter that your not married. PS Nobody gets all their rent paid I think even if you are cleared for rent allownace you still have to pay a portion yourself 18quid a week I think it used to be, not sure as I pay my own rent. Not an exception at all, most of my mates pay their own also as they live with the OH. I reckon people should research this **** before spouting about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I was made redundant last Christmas and was unemployed for a few months until I finally got lucky and got a job in July. Do you have any idea how hard it is to live on just 204 euros a week?? It doesn't even cover all the bills. You can't go out anywhere because you simple can't afford to. I ended up doing a load of free fas courses just to get out of the house. It's almost impossible to get a job these days - very few companies are hiring. It's like a ghost town in the industrial estate in Clondalkin where I work now. The majority of the buildings are empty because all the companies that were in them have gone out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I'm working now and I can see from both sides I remember being on the dole in the early 90's and having to get Christmas prezzies for my little girl from milk tokens.

I don't believe it's as difficult on the dole these days especially for anyone with a trade doing a few "nixers". Friends of mine on the dole have been to more concerts and weekends away than I have and I'm working full time.

I personally believe that anyone who's been on the dole for 5 years or more doesn't want to work and should have their benefit cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

procure11 wrote: »
    You have a valid point ...but grammatically your post does not show the hardwork you have put towards college.

Good grammar is not needed to get you a degree in college, a huge majority of courses don't require good English.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Not if you live with a bf or gf you dont. Doesnt matter that your not married. PS Nobody gets all their rent paid I think even if you are cleared for rent allownace you still have to pay a portion yourself 18quid a week I think it used to be,

The rent contribution has now gone up to 30 euro a week, so technically the dole is 170 (or 190 on one parent family) which by anyones standards is not much.
    I agree with posters who have outlined how difficult it is to live on the minimum wage (in terms of doctors etc) but that is the governments fault not those who are in receipt of social welfare.
    I have been on social welfare intermittently since my daughter was born 6 years ago. I'm lucky that i have a well paid job but unlucky in that its unsecure work (community sector) and there are times i have had to be on social welfare and i can tell you its not an easy existence and its certainly doesnt allow for days sat in the pub (as some seem to think)
    Off course there are those that abuse the system but reducing the social welfare payments is not the way to tackle this and has the added disadvantage of hurting those in genuine need.
    And as for those shooting off about "tax payers money" i would like to remind them that a large quanity of people on social welfare have been paye workers and ALL of them pay tax through vat.

My belief is that most people on here have no idea unless theyve been there before. Everybodys situation is different also, as for the person there on about her mates going to concerts etc, go grass them up for doing nixers instead of lumping us all together and assuming everyone on the dole has loads a nixers and is loaded. Claregirl you havent a clue if you think thats the case.

And yea as said already dont give me taxpayers money nonsense Im well paid up.

Ive nothing more to say other than a lot people on here have made me wish dole was 300 instead of 200, even when people are on their back here at the lowest poing of their life some people still think its ok to give them fuk all and judge them because of the benefit they claim.

Sometimes its nice to be nice and I would take 1 cent to be like a lot of the judgmental bastards on here. Money cant buy a decent personality.

For all the others struggling, I wish ye the best and hope christmas works out and ye have the money to keep santa`s good rep going ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 demac71

Its not that the dole is to much, its other payments. It can be hard to take when I go to work, pay my mortgage and taxes and all of a sudden the state move a guy in next door and pays everything for him. Only consolation is I am lucky to have the option of going out and doing a days work and also 1 day that house will be mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

€200 a week should only be for people who've worked in the last few years. You also have to factor in that it's 200 per week plus your accommodation costs, medical costs and education costs paid for. When you add up all the various allowances, it's a more comfortable existence than trying to get by on minimum wage.

If you've been too lazy to work in the past few years, then you should be given just enough to get by on. If you want to be comfortable, go out and get a job. People who choose to live at the expense of the taxpayer instead of contributing are every bit as bad as the bankers and developers that people complain about.

I don't get rent allowance or fuel allowance. The landlord has to agree with that too, and there are very few places that do this. As for education costs paid for? Where do you get this from?

I disagree, you will find that most do not have their accommodation paid for. If they have PPP on their mortgage, it is the bank paying for it. Most landlords will not agree to rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

For all the others struggling, I wish ye the best and hope christmas works out and ye have the money to keep santa`s good rep going ;)

Heres hoping:)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I couldn't imagine spending €200 a week. That's insane, the crap people must buy. I cook everything from scratch and cycle everywhere and don't smoke, eat meat or drink much. I spend €125/week including rent and save the rest.

Dole is there to survive on, not so you can buy frivelous crap. After rent, €50 a week is plenty. I thought public transport was free on the dole. I don't want to punish people for being on it, but really, what on earth are they spending €200 a week on?

On the other hand, it's nowhere NEAR enough for people with kids. It should be distributed far more fairly.

rantyface wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine spending €200 a week. That's insane, the crap people must buy. I cook everything from scratch and cycle everywhere and don't smoke, eat meat or drink much. I spend €125/week including rent and save the rest.

Dole is there to survive on, not so you can buy frivelous crap. After rent, €50 a week is plenty. I thought public transport was free on the dole. I don't want to punish people for being on it, but really, what on earth are they spending €200 a week on?

On the other hand, it's nowhere NEAR enough for people with kids. It should be distributed far more fairly.

I already wrote what I spend mine on. LOL public transport free on the dole?? I dunno what time capsule you just jumped out of??

I also cook everything from scratch and not by choice but by budget eat very little meat or other food spend 15 a week on food. Rents 80 and my nightcollege/car loan another 80, not long talking to the balance then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Are you from another planet?

uggg this thread is actually making me want to hurt strangers so Im going to have to unsubscribe.

Just for the record NOT EVERYBODY HAS THE SAME SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES! People had loans when they had jobs and the loans do not disappear when the job does unfortunately. Also rent differs depending on where you live if its a house share etc. I for one will not be moving into an 8 man houseshare and getting rid of my car because Im on the dole. Mightaswell go get a gun and blow me fukn head off right now if thats the case. Still laughing at the suggestion of buying frivilous crap unless you count personal hygiene products as frivilous as theyd be the biggest irregular outlay. Here lads Im off to sell me car move back with mammy and use vinegar and butter to wash meself:rolleyes: FUX SAKE. K Im off before I really loose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I thought public transport was free on the dole.

Just goes to show what people know about the welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Confab wrote: »
    Just goes to show what people know about the welfare system.
    I thought it was free too once you were long-term unemployed.
    Under what scheme are the majority of the free travel passes to under 65s given out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't get rent allowance or fuel allowance. The landlord has to agree with that too, and there are very few places that do this. As for education costs paid for? Where do you get this from?

There are various schemes available for individuals to get them back into the workforce and for people with children, there are school books schemes and examination fees and the like are waived. At least that's how it worked in our local school anyway, it might be a school-level thing rather than State level thing.
    I disagree, you will find that most do not have their accommodation paid for. If they have PPP on their mortgage, it is the bank paying for it. Most landlords will not agree to rent allowance.

Landlords have gotten a lot less fussy since the recession kicked in. As for people with mortgages, they've obviously had to have had a job in order to get a mortgage in the first place, so fair enough they're entitled to what they get after losing their job imo. You can be fairly sure that the long term welfare recipients of the State have made sure to avail themselves of rent allowance anyway.
    Ste.phen wrote:
    I thought it was free too once you were long-term unemployed.
    Under what scheme are the majority of the free travel passes to under 65s given out then?

You get a free travel pass if you're claiming disability allowance or carer's allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

tech2 wrote: »
    Good grammar is not needed to get you a degree in college, a huge majority of courses don't require good English.

Course its not, i mean you dont lose marks for spelling like a five year old, and they are just GIVING out degree's to barely literate people these days dont you know :rolleyes:.

So in your wise opinion.. a 'huge majority' of college courses don't require good english.. Christ this thread is a magnet for ludicrous statements.

That said, spelling mistakes on an internet forum, who gives a flying fcuk!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

For those on the dole, do you think everyone should get the same amount? Shouldn't those who've paid in more, get out more? Does it seem right that someone who has never worked gets the same as those who've worked 20 years?

Also seems that social welfare could encourage you to spend, to a degree. I'd be better off spending my savings on a house now and get interest relief on a mortgage, than save it and lose my job as savings - which I could have spent on frivolous stuff or a shoe-box - would see my dole allowance greatly reduced. I'd be punished as such for being cautious about where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scumbag007

tech2 wrote: »
    Yeah I know a friend who does the same. I think its patethic, its some waste of a life.

No its not really when you think about it, you see in your mates opinion he is obviously saying getting a job is NOT worth it especially if you are getting a nice fresh 200 a week off the dole which basically over half of what the average minimum wage worker gets PLUS if he has his own place its paid for with rent allowance aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

If you consider the fact that the percentage of people on the Live register has quadrupled in the past 18 months it should be obvious that the proportion of people on the dole who won't work is low.

However I do believe that the dole may be too high in certain circumstances. It should not pay more than an unskilled job. I don't believe it does for single people but I think it does if you have 2 kids (is this correct).

Also the ancillary 'benefits' like a medical card and assistance with rent should be available to those on low incomes who are working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

MrMicra wrote: »
    If you consider the fact that the percentage of people on the Live register has quadrupled in the past 18 months it should be obvious that the proportion of people on the dole who won't work is low.

However I do believe that the dole may be too high in certain circumstances. It should not pay more than an unskilled job. I don't believe it does for single people but I think it does if you have 2 kids (is this correct).

Also the ancillary 'benefits' like a medical card and assistance with rent should be available to those on low incomes who are working.

And who would fund that...the Celtic Tiger????...Pppleaase!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭PANADOL

yes the dole is too high here for two reasons 1 we cant afford it 2 its the second highest in the eu ,lux has the highest , then mr cowen is one of the highest paid leaders in the world , gareth fitzgerald has a pension of 186k a year .are we heading for hunger as a nation of wanna be americans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, I didn't mean to generalise the hard working people who are out of work at the moment and LOOKING for work, I could be that myself in the next few weeks it's the likes of my mate who have never worked, never intend to and are still getting these JOB SEEKERS allowance payment and in the 3 years I've known him he hasn't so much as handed a CV out even when things were going well with jobs, it's the thousands of them that are raping the tax payers money.

Yeah the problem is your mate may have spare cash since he isn't trying to find work.

When you are trying to find work you have additional expenses like travelling to the interview, getting suit or dry cleaned if you already have one etc...

Your already at a disadvantage if you are out of work compared to someone with a job applying for same position and if you reduce your expectations your declared overqualified so its not as simple as lower your standards.

It will have to be lowered regardless in the next budget but if it is by too much, it won't exactly help people get out of the mess they are in (which this government put them in I could add).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I think if people can save the dole theirs should be lowered. Also we really have to stop giving 18 year olds fresh out of school €210 a week. My friend is in that position, didn't bother to apply for college and now can afford to spend €210 a WEEK on nightclubs, taxis, take-aways, weed etc. etc. while other people his age are being punished for trying to learn and actually get a job. No money, €1500 a year registration fees, and possible fees next year.

Sometimes it seems everyone but the government know how to run this country. Scrap the dole for under 20's living with their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

In response to the OP.. yes, yes the dole is far too much.... useless lazy cnuts... ggrrrr ... me workin since i was fourteen... ggrrrrr... shoot them all i say..... soap dodgers... in my day .... etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

do you also wear twigs and leaves and use egg cartons as shoes?

Advertisement