Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

do you also wear twigs and leaves and use egg cartons as shoes?

Will you be lying on in bed till twelve oclock tomorrow? i certainly will be, but thats cos i start WORK tomorrow at 2, til 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

flanum wrote: »
    Will you be lying on in bed till twelve oclock tomorrow? i certainly will be, but thats cos i start WORK tomorrow at 2, til 12!

thats nice, tomorrow is actually my day off from work!! yes, thats right. i work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

uggg this thread is actually making me want to hurt strangers so Im going to have to unsubscribe.

Just for the record NOT EVERYBODY HAS THE SAME SET OF CIRCUMSTANCES! People had loans when they had jobs and the loans do not disappear when the job does unfortunately. Also rent differs depending on where you live if its a house share etc. I for one will not be moving into an 8 man houseshare and getting rid of my car because Im on the dole. Mightaswell go get a gun and blow me fukn head off right now if thats the case. Still laughing at the suggestion of buying frivilous crap unless you count personal hygiene products as frivilous as theyd be the biggest irregular outlay. Here lads Im off to sell me car move back with mammy and use vinegar and butter to wash meself:rolleyes: FUX SAKE. K Im off before I really loose it.

Is it just me or does this sound like someone that live above their means..Still living in the good day imo..be a bit more pragmatic instead of having the latest bmws etc..

The dole is well too high,as mentioned already its about a quarter of the amount in Britain and i doubt inflation is that high!As mentioned earlier,it should be paid on the basis of receipts..with a small miscellaneous amount..This way the money is spent responsibly and effectively in todays economic climate..i know too many people getting dole and student grants,that are just going straight into pub everyday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Fol20 wrote: »
    i know too many people getting dole and student grants,that are just going straight into pub everyday..

That's more likely to be back to education allowance, not Jobseekers allowance.
    After all, if you're a full time student you're not available for a full time job

They get student grants on top of this.
    And depending on the family income there is a top up grant too.

It gets them off the live register though and it's all about the stats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭feb09

Most landlords will not agree to rent allowance.

That used to be the case but not anymore.
    Most have no choice now, they need the money and cant afford to be picky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

it should definately be means tested, there are too many things wrong as pointed out in this thread already.

i do have to say though, that anybody who has their rent paid and still cant afford to live off 200euro a week, needs to get a grip. if your on the dole and struggling, then your spending too much or above your means. people in ireland are poor at spending money. maybe that will change.

people with Kids and a mortgage is the only concern i have, but saying that, some single mams i know get 1000's a month and live life of luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks the dole is far too high in this country, why would anyone want to get a job even if there was any. I have a mate I live it and he has more bloody money than I do and I work 45 hours a week. He has his rent payed for him by the government and pays 30 euro a month himself, and then the extra 200 a week as normal and this is without lifting a finger all he does all day is sleep, eat, smoke and eat and complain about being busy if he has to walk 5 mins to the shop at some point in the next 4 hours.

Do you think the government will be forced to cut the dole payments if the national debt and unemployment keeps rising?

Try living on the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭ats

janullrich wrote: »
    Thank you Deadhead. At least somebody is talking sense about the dole. To those who think it is too much try living on the damn thing. I PAID my taxes. Now when I've lost my job I expect the government to help me till I try to find something or set something up.

tell me about it. a year ago i would have probably agreed that they pay them too much. I lost my job a month ago, i get €350 a week on jobseekers benift. sound a lot but but when i add up all my outgoings without including food, cell phone, petrol for car or bus fare any medical bills etc i have outgongs of about €1500 a month with an income of €1400.

what really grinds my gears is people that get their rent etc paid for them too, i have amortgage bit don't get any assistance with it and to my knowledge am not entitled to it. I'd be better off moving out and renting my apartment to pay the mortgage and then get teh government to pay rent on an apartment for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

I think if people can save the dole theirs should be lowered. Also we really have to stop giving 18 year olds fresh out of school €210 a week. My friend is in that position, didn't bother to apply for college and now can afford to spend €210 a WEEK on nightclubs, taxis, take-aways, weed etc. etc. while other people his age are being punished for trying to learn and actually get a job. No money, €1500 a year registration fees, and possible fees next year.

Sometimes it seems everyone but the government know how to run this country. Scrap the dole for under 20's living with their parents.

eh maybe you should actually bother to check yer facts, the dole has been halved for under 20`s.

Fol20 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does this sound like someone that live above their means..Still living in the good day imo..be a bit more pragmatic instead of having the latest bmws etc..

The dole is well too high,as mentioned already its about a quarter of the amount in Britain and i doubt inflation is that high!As mentioned earlier,it should be paid on the basis of receipts..with a small miscellaneous amount..This way the money is spent responsibly and effectively in todays economic climate..i know too many people getting dole and student grants,that are just going straight into pub everyday..

Yep driving a peugeot 206 and living in a housing estate is the life boy:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yep driving a peugeot 206 and living in a housing estate is the life boy:rolleyes:

Pity about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

it should definately be means tested, there are too many things wrong as pointed out in this thread already.

i do have to say though, that anybody who has their rent paid and still cant afford to live off 200euro a week, needs to get a grip. if your on the dole and struggling, then your spending too much or above your means. people in ireland are poor at spending money. maybe that will change.

people with Kids and a mortgage is the only concern i have, but saying that, some single mams i know get 1000's a month and live life of luxury.

Are you fcuking serious? If you are on the dole and struggling you are spending too much?

Some people live in fcuking la la land, sheltered all their lives by mammy and daddy, not knowing what real life is all about. To those people I say GTFO.

Are you fcuking serious? If you are on the dole and struggling you are spending too much?

Some people live in fcuking la la land, sheltered all their lives by mammy and daddy, not knowing what real life is all about. To those people I say GTFO.

And some people have never had to survive on minimum wage.

Stark wrote: »
    Pity about you.

well Im just stating that has been suggested im not driving a bloody bmw awright! People in here just have an instant dislike to people on the dole. Im well paid up on me stamps and will be claiming anything thats going.And I wont be getting rid a me car cos people might think dole folk shouldnt have one.

well Im just stating that has been suggested im not driving a bloody bmw awright! People in here just have an instant dislike to people on the dole. Im well paid up on me stamps and will be claiming anything thats going.And I wont be getting rid a me car cos people might think dole folk shouldnt have one.

I've no problem with people who've paid their stamps having basic comforts while they look for work, but I'd still consider a car to be a luxury item and I would agree with the sentiment that long term welfare recipients shouldn't be having the State buying cars for them. Plenty of Irish people snubbed their noses at available jobs during the course of this decade as they'd lose comforts by working instead of signing on.

I've no problem with people who've paid their stamps having basic comforts while they look for work, but I'd still consider a car to be a luxury item and I would agree with the sentiment that long term welfare recipients shouldn't be having the State buying cars for them. Plenty of Irish people snubbed their noses at available jobs during the course of this decade as they'd lose comforts by working instead of signing on.

Well my car is my car and not something I`ll be giving up, I live in the sticks need it for interviews. Maybe if I had no intention of ever working again I wouldnt need me wheels but for people still actively looking for work giving up their car that theyve worked years for is not an option, for me anyway if that was the case Id just blow me head off right now. Im no long term recipient and paid up with 10 years so if any cnut comes near me suggesting I get rid a me car and give up me life altogether they`l know about it. Ive done factory jobs, deli jobs supermarket jobs, insurance jobs, accounting jobs, Im no bloody snub of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Ste.phen wrote: »
    IUnder what scheme are the majority of the free travel passes to under 65s given out then?

That's with disability benefit, a scheme which is widely abused.

And some people have never had to survive on minimum wage.

Minimum wage is more than social welfare... How can you not see the differance? Seriously.

The lack of education in this thread is unreal.

A car isn't a luxery item, not in a developed country. Also, nobody gives a flying fcuk what you think or what you consider a luxery item to be. In most cases, it is a essential for work.

Minimum wage is more than social welfare... How can you not see the differance? Seriously.

The lack of education in this thread is unreal.

You don't get allowances while on minimum wage and there are expenses associated with getting to a job. A dublin bus commuter ticket can cost €98 a month and you can't claim tax relief on that if you're not earning enough to pay tax.
    A car isn't a luxery item, not in a developed country. Also, nobody gives a flying fcuk what you think or what you consider a luxery item to be. In most cases, it is a essential for work.

Explain to me how someone who's on the dole full-time "needs a car for work"? What about people on low paying jobs who can't afford a car yet still manage to work?

• Advertisement

Explain to me how someone who's on the dole full-time "needs a car for work"? What about people on low paying jobs who can't afford a car yet still manage to work?

If you can't see how a car increases your chances in getting a job, or how it is essential for work, then you are living on another planet. Who said anything about the state buying cars for people on social welfare. That is not the case. If people on low wage jobs can't afford a car, then tough sh!t. Your not thinking logically at all. You are making assumptions that people have bought their cars with social welfare money.

I suppose you also think people on social should sell any valuables they have since they are not needed?

Have you ever been on social welfare?

You don't get allowances while on minimum wage and there are expenses associated with getting to a job. A dublin bus commuter ticket can cost €98 a month and you can't claim tax relief on that if you're not earning enough to pay tax.

More assumptions, you assume that everyone on social welfare gets maximum benifits, you also assume that people pay 100 euro a month for a dublin bus commuter. I wonder how many people commute to dublin every week for a minimum wage job. That's hilarious.

At the end of the day, you are completely 100% wrong.

Doors thataway, gtfo :) ---->

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

as a first year apprentice in the midst of the boom, i managed to live off approx €200 a week, including paying my car loan/petrol and rent. was working about 150 miles from home, so had nowhere to fall back to if i was broke. not easy, but made me realise the worth of money and a good job to be sure.

imo the mooted lower dole for under 21s is definitely the way forward, sure its not easy to live off €200 odd a week, but thats the point unfortunately. no job = crappy lifestyle.

i am aware people have been let go and are struggling big time, but this then means less income tax/spending to be put towards the social welfare... swings and roundabouts.

any decision to lower the dole is gonna be met with outrage to be sure, but i'm afraid it will/has to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nicola xxx

this is a good question,,, i think the dole is too high, is it 200 euro per week? in england its 60 pounds a week, and that gets paid every fortnight, not every week. also rent allowance in dublin is easier to get, than in UK for example. i do think its too high, and also many people are claiming lone parents money when they are not lone parents lol. i know at least 4 people in dublin doing that and they have never had a home visit in the past. people can very easily live on the dole i think, it should be reduced to encourage more job seeking, in UK you have to sign every 2 weeks also. i dont know anyone in Dublin that could easily live on 60 quid a week LOL. that would get them working LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Doors thataway, gtfo :) ---->

My sentiments exactly. Take a few days off to cool down.

If people on low wage jobs can't afford a car, then tough sh!t. Your not thinking logically at all.

Tough **** if you can't afford a car while working but a car's a basic necessity for people on welfare?
    More assumptions, you assume that everyone on social welfare gets maximum benifits, you also assume that people pay 100 euro a month for a dublin bus commuter. I wonder how many people commute to dublin every week for a minimum wage job. That's hilarious.

At the end of the day, you are completely 100% wrong.

Doors thataway, gtfo smile.gif ---->

Those tickets are good for travelling within the Dublin area as well. Not everyone lives next door to work.
    Have you ever been on social welfare?

Yes, for a short period while looking for a job after a previous contract expired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I suppose you also think people on social should sell any valuables they have since they are not needed?

There's an Idea!

uggg whats the point of comparing what we get here to what people get in england/?? Theres a reason people head north for shopping. and the majority of people on thsi thread seem to be on about people scamming the system and all their little fukn oh single parents claiming lone parents when there not. Lads if ye know pwoplw at this SHOP THEM GROW A PAIR FFS! Giving out will get ye nowhere if ye feel that strongly shop em. an as for anyone thatd pay 98 on bus tickets and not buy a bloody car they must be a moron! A CU loan would be less to pay back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MadCat

dole is too much, blah blah blah.

If you think life on the dole is great, why not give it a go. Otherwise shut your mouth.

I know plenty of people who have worked for the last 20 years and are now on the dole, tell them it is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

I've no problem with people who've paid their stamps having basic comforts while they look for work, but I'd still consider a car to be a luxury item

you obviously dont live in the countryside?

Advertisement