Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Nicola xxx

yeah i should have explained lol. i compared to england coz i am english and been living in dublin since 1995, went to school in dublin though and only worked in Ireland for past 13 years... so know alot about both systems. i was agreeing with the ppl that think the dole is too high in dublin, but then the expense of living in dublin is higher. also there are not many jobs out there right now for the amount of ppl out of work. alot of my friends out of work are signing on, getting about 200 euro per week but are still out at weekends in the city and find it very easy to survive on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

unfortunately, the dole cannot be maintained at the same price if there is not enough tax being received into the exchequer.

that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Nicola xxx wrote: »
    this is a good question,,, i think the dole is too high, is it 200 euro per week? in england its 60 pounds a week, and that gets paid every fortnight, not every week. also rent allowance in dublin is easier to get, than in UK for example. i do think its too high, and also many people are claiming lone parents money when they are not lone parents lol. i know at least 4 people in dublin doing that and they have never had a home visit in the past. people can very easily live on the dole i think, it should be reduced to encourage more job seeking, in UK you have to sign every 2 weeks also. i dont know anyone in Dublin that could easily live on 60 quid a week LOL. that would get them working LOL

its not as easy as it was in the boom to just walk outside the door and stumble upon a job. yes, there is people who abuse the system and are downright lazy, but there are also people who have lost their jobs after spending years paying out income tax and what not. are they not entitled to an adequate amount of money to feed, clothe or pay bills for themselves??

some of my friends have been made redundant, and 200 euro is not enough for them though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

yeah i should have explained lol. i compared to england coz i am english and been living in dublin since 1995, went to school in dublin though and only worked in Ireland for past 13 years... so know alot about both systems. i was agreeing with the ppl that think the dole is too high in dublin, but then the expense of living in dublin is higher. also there are not many jobs out there right now for the amount of ppl out of work. alot of my friends out of work are signing on, getting about 200 euro per week but are still out at weekends in the city and find it very easy to survive on that :)

well theres no comparison, its not even the same currency, I believe it to be a stupid argument. No comparison between the costs of living here or the UK so Im amazed at people using it as part of an argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

you obviously dont live in the countryside?

Ah yes, the one off housing people. A group who expect to be able to buy a cheap house in the middle of nowhere, but have the costs bringing facilities to that house and transport subsidized for them.
    its not as easy as it was in the boom to just walk outside the door and stumble upon a job. yes, there is people who abuse the system and are downright lazy, but there are also people who have lost their jobs after spending years paying out income tax and what not. are they not entitled to an adequate amount of money to feed clothes pay bills for themselves??

There's jobseeker's benefit given to people who've worked in the last few years and jobseeker's assistance which is given to scroungers. You can reduce one while maintaining the other.

alot of my friends out of work are signing on, getting about 200 euro per week but are still out at weekends in the city and find it very easy to survive on that :)
    some of my friends have been made redundant, and 200 euro is not enough for them though :(

continuity is somewhat lacking..

so youd agree then for people used to having an income its not too much?

well if u looked recently it was pretty much a euro for a pound? there is very little difference at the moment, but i agree with the original poster, 200 euro a week on the dole is too much

Stark wrote: »
    Ah yes, the one off housing people. A group who expect to be able to buy a cheap house in the middle of nowhere, but have the costs bringing facilities to that house and transport subsidized for them.

what do you do?? aside from trolling boards all day?

• Advertisement

well if u looked recently it was pretty much a euro for a pound? there is very little difference at the moment, but i agree with the original poster, 200 euro a week on the dole is too much

even though you just posted that it isnt enough??

Stark wrote: »

are you serious? so im not entitled to own a home where i grew up now? not everyone want to live in a housing estate in the suburbs. and i will have you know that when building a house in the country, its the person BUILDING THE HOUSE who ends up paying for these resources to brought to them (esb poles and moving of wires, piping of water to houses etc...) transport subsidised? what transport? there is none....!

your post is beyond idiotic.

200 euro signing on is too much ok, my friends that are not working find it very easy to live on, i am working thankfully for the past 13 years and have never had to sign on thank god. but my friends that were made redundant were on much more money than me, they were accountants so that what i mean that they think 200 euro is not enough for them. but they are actively lookin for work right now, getting interviews every week. as some poster mentioned earlier there are plenty that sit on the dole, quite happy to get 200 euro weekly, but in reply to original question, yes it is too much :) x

200 euro signing on is too much ok, my friends that are not working find it very easy to live on, i am working thankfully for the past 13 years and have never had to sign on thank god. but my friends that were made redundant were on much more money than me, they were accountants so that what i mean that they think 200 euro is not enough for them. but they are actively lookin for work right now, getting interviews every week. as some poster mentioned earlier there are plenty that sit on the dole, quite happy to get 200 euro weekly, but in reply to original question, yes it is too much :) x

Well you posted saying it wasnt enough 2 seconds ago so yea your opinion really doesnt hold much weight with me. Im more a stick to yer guns rather than its too much for everybody bar a select group of my mates theory. ps Im an accountant meself before Im lobbed into that group of getting 200 to drink people that love the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I think the dole should be increased.....Im totaly serial..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

are you serious? so im not entitled to own a home where i grew up now? not everyone want to live in a housing estate in the suburbs. and i will have you know that when building a house in the country, its the person BUILDING THE HOUSE who ends up paying for these resources to brought to them (esb poles and moving of wires, piping of water to houses etc...) transport subsidised? what transport? there is none....!

your post is beyond idiotic.

Agreed.

On a seperate note, I was on the the 204 a week a while back and found it very easy to live on. But only because I was living at home with no rent ESB gas or groceries.
    Reduce it for people who live at home and send the money saved on to the people with mortages etc

thethedev wrote: »
    Agreed.

On a seperate note, I was on the the 204 a week a while back and found it very easy to live on. But only because I was living at home with no rent ESB gas or groceries.
    Reduce it for people who live at home and send the money saved on to the people with mortages etc

exactly, the amount you receive should definately correlate to your living cricumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 scumbag007

people in ireland are poor at spending money. maybe that will change.

What country are you from? seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

scumbag007 wrote: »
    What country are you from? seriously.

Banned again. Don't come back.

yeah thats fair enough johnny, was just answering the original question. :) if you are an accountant then sure u could get a very well paid job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I find the dole is too much (as an unemployed person)

I live with my folks, and have very few expenses. There's no real reason why I should be getting €200 a week.

It should all be means tested tbh. If you're living with your parents, you rarely need €200 a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Fancy That

Yes the dole is too much. It pi**es me off when people are drawing the dole and then doin odd jobs like painting, labouring etc etc on the side. :mad::mad:

204euro is plenty to feed yourself pay the few bills/rent, buy a new top and go on the razzz saturday night.

Something needs to be done because their are too many ripping the Pi** out of the system and in turn adding to our finincial woe's as a country.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Food stamps is the way to go!

Seriously, I think it should be slightly reduced as with everything else that has been reduced. They went the right way reducing it to €100 if your under 21. If you have lost a job, well then you deserve the dole, totally deserve it. If your some scum cnut well then, fluck off because you don't deserve the taxpayers money.

Example, two lads I know that did sh1t in the Leaving, about 200 points or something! " Eh Joe, Im doing wan of them ould courses in Carlow Inst of Further education, Ya get like a grant a' €6000, Im gonna buy me self a caddy van owvit". Its very sad when some hard working teens actually havent got the money to go to college and these hoors scam the system.

Sorry for going off track there but you get my drift!

yeah thats fair enough johnny, was just answering the original question. :) if you are an accountant then sure u could get a very well paid job

Yea I had one and am hoping I`ll have another one, ye can begrudge me then for being overpaid and keeping up the costs of living. Hopefully anyway, put the begrudgers back in their box .The old boards school of thought If yer on the dole yer scum, if yer on good money yer overpaid and if yer on minimum wage ya must a got a **** leaving cert. Nothing worse than judgmental bitter people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

the dole is not too much. however,there's certainly a lot of people on it who don't deserve it. there isn't enough done to check up on claimants to make sure they're not lying.

i don't get the full whack of Jobseekers Benefit as I didn't make enough last yr (was in college).I make just enough to pay housekeeping to the mammy, save some dosh for when the dole runs out and buy the odd thing in penneys (which is next to never).

I could be a lot worse off though, I feel awful for people with kids and mortgages to pay for....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I also cook everything from scratch and not by choice but by budget eat very little meat or other food spend 15 a week on food. Rents 80 and my nightcollege/car loan another 80, not long talking to the balance then.

In my opinion you clearly need more than €204. You have €44 to live on and only spend €15 on food:eek: How do you pay for the car tax and insurance, petrol, phone credit, toiletries?

I agree that you need the car and I hope you find a job soon.

I thought people who lived with parents didn't get the full amount:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

sunnyside wrote: »

It depends on their age. A person 25 or over (open to correction) will not have their parents' income taken into account in their means test even if they are living at home.

There are all sorts of other factors but AFAIK it is possible to live with your parents and still get €204.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Where do they get 25 from:confused: Shouldn't it 18 or 21, same as for other things.

sunnyside wrote: »
    In my opinion you clearly need more than €204. You have €44 to live on and only spend €15 on food:eek: How do you pay for the car tax and insurance, petrol, phone credit, toiletries?

I agree that you need the car and I hope you find a job soon.

Its a struggle my ins is 30e on a monthly dd. The tax is paid up til Dec so dreading the bill for that. I buy tolieteries when their on offer. On the up side Im not eating crisps and chocolate anymore;) As for phone credit I put on 20 a month, get the free texts and not really ring anybody unless its job related. Its not easy like, and I know theres loads in the same boat as me and yes its tough but were not starving but some of the people on this thread really need to stop judging and bitching at people, and I`ll state again Im well paid up on my stamps so wont be judged be anyone on here and wouldnt consider ditching my car.

Thanks for noticing though sunnyside that its not a great life. Some people think people on the dole should be given a cardboard box and fuk off for theirself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DanielL

far from too much imo

for under 20's its max 100e

who here hasnt spent that on a night out ? never mind a week .

Advertisement