Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Well that's the reason why people do work and try to better them selfs but far too many people have just gotten into a rut and got lazy after years of the dole and have no intention of working. People who want to work will but people who don't want to work have very little incentive to make them work as they can't see the benefit in doing so.

But shore most people on the dole in the previous years were all that perceptive and where quite happy trogging through life with there 200 a week plus rent allowance plus, child benefits plus this that and the other benefits...

they where quite happy with there couple of cans of dutch gold and the sky remote because they don't know any better they care not for anything but living the same life year after year because maybe they just are to thick to notice (agreed slight generalisation there )

i agree fully with what your saying..... But some people are not lazy there, JUST Bone Idell .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

maybe they dont go through airports

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

I would'nt like to hear what you would say about him if he was your enemy. And if he has more money than you.
    You need to change your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

personally we are missing nothing, as you said we never even see the money. but its the health care system/ education system/ public transport/ charities that are missing out

Fair point.

I din't know that charities benefit from tax. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yeah, but that's cheap beer and it's dirt.
    I'd rather pay €2 for decent cans.

Not true.
    Tuborg is very good beer and its 7 quid for 6 cans.
    You can also get pint bottles of german pilsner in Lidl for 1.20 a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Degsy wrote: »
    Not true.
    Tuborg is very good beer and its 7 quid for 6 cans.
    You can also get pint bottles of german pilsner in Lidl for 1.20 a bottle.
    Tu tu tu tu tu tu tu tuborg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

In my last job I was earning over €3,000 a month. The dole comes to €800 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭japbyrne

Is it about beer now?:P

Neesa wrote: »
    In my last job I was earning over €3,000 a month. The dole comes to €800 a month.

id love to eanr that much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

japbyrne wrote: »
    Is it about beer now?:P
    You have to be constantly drunk to endure a life of sitting in front of daytime tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

You have to be constantly drunk to endure a life of sitting in front of daytime tv.

Here's a an idea...

turn the f*cking thing off..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Should be on a declining scale, cut 10% every 2 months for anyone healthy and under say 50 years old.

that sounds great, but what if there are no jobs? The poor person would be getting very little money after a year!

that sounds great, but what if there are no jobs? The poor person would be getting very little money after a year!

You can always make jesus shapes on toast and sell them on ebay..

there's always something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Im not shore mate I have to wait and see as there means testing me...
    I should be able to buy right... but is there not something to do with land lords and stuf with rent allowance.... ?

plus i feel like a complete spunge :(

No mate you should be getting this, it was created for people like you who are genuinely out of work and struggling. I'm terrified of loosing my job at the min were all up for review next month and i'm fearing the worst like many here the thought of the doll makes me feel awful but the work just isn't there.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    No mate you should be getting this, it was created for people like you who are genuinely out of work and struggling. I'm terrified of loosing my job at the min were all up for review next month and i'm fearing the worst like many here the thought of the doll makes me feel awful but the work just isn't there.

then why are you on the internet complaining about your mate when you should be working ? :confused:

Irishcrx wrote: »

I agree but like there's not much i can do some people are able to get the benfit I havent payed enough stamps.....:rolleyes:
    then why are you on the internet complaining about your mate when you should be working ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The dole is not too much.

Tens of thousands of people in Ireland will lose their jobs this year with little warning and very much against their will. They will have families, medical bills, mortgage repayments etc. Adapting to live on the dole will be a massive shock, even for someone who was on a mediocre salary. 200ish quid a week is not a lot of money by anyone's standards.

I've found out I'm losing my job at the end of the month by the way. To those of you with jobs who are complaining that the dole is too much, think about how it could be you next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Slumdog

The type of dole ya get when you have credits built up should be higher and the other one lower.

i was on the latter last year before i found my career job and it was crazy to be handed 197euro for nothing. 80quid on rent, 40 on food and 80 on drink. i was livin the high life comin from no money in college.

but as i said, the one you get that is based on credits should be higher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You dont need to do that.
    Take your bag of cans and head into town.Hang around the boardwalk for a while and score some drugs.
    Then head back to somebody's house,murder a somali national,chop him up and put the bits in the canal.
    Bury the head soemwhere and forget where you left it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

You dont need to do that.
    Take your bag of cans and head into town.Hang around the boardwalk for a while and score some drugs.
    Then head back to somebody's house,murder a somali national,chop him up and put the bits in the canal.
    Bury the head soemwhere and forget where you left it.

You know what, this is exactly what I have planned for today.
    We should go a'murdering sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

ntlbell wrote: »
    What I can't understand is if you're on job seekers are available and ready to work but are on the dole you should be put to work for your dole.

There's always a school that needs work volunteering in A&E even if it's just making the tea and toast, road sweeping whatever the case maybe

it should be mandatory that you put X amount of hours and the other X amount of hours is used for job seeking and must be clocked in somewhere.

be it your local exchange, job center or obair center.

Monthly proof of applications for jobs + refusal letters etc

People who genuinely want to find work will find it and be off the system and those who don't will spend their days cleaning mount joy toilets or something similar...

just reducing the amount they get is not really an option

Lets not forget the other great jobs they can do, like picking cotton or shining shoes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Degsy my man...you are my hero.

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Lets not forget the other great jobs they can do, like picking cotton or shining shoes :rolleyes:

You're starting to catch on.

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm not talking about paying for booze and you know it, I was saying that there's only monetary support given to people on the dole, but no effort made to make sure they leave the house more than once or twice a week, gain skills needed for interviews, etc, etc. But well done on your extremely judgemental portrayal of what its like to be on the dole, really.

Let me put it differently.
    I can see how the dole may not be enough in certain cases and I can see how people on the dole do not get enough support in terms upskilling themselves.
    But I would feel extremely uncomfortable simply increasing 'the dole' as I know there is a good deal of people out there who simply do not intend to work ever and I think they get more than enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

realcam wrote: »
    Let me put it differently.
    I can see how the dole may not be enough in certain cases and I can see how people on the dole do not get enough support in terms upskilling themselves.
    But I would feel extremely uncomfortable simply increasing 'the dole' as I know there is a good deal of people out there who simply do not intend to work ever and I think they get more than enough already.

There is a lot of support.

You have FETAC, FAS, FIT the list is endless and you can pretty much do a course in anything you can think of.

If you want to be upskilled the support network is there you just have to look for it or open your mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You're starting to catch on.

Good man.

There's so much wrong with your point of view I don't even know where to start.
    There's always a school that needs work volunteering in A&E even if it's just making the tea and toast, road sweeping whatever the case maybe
    Has it occurred to you that by putting people on the dole doing work in schools, hospitals or whatever, you would be taking the jobs away from those who are employed to make toast in the schools and hospitals? You do realise that people are already paid to sweep roads etc and that by putting jobseekers doing their work, you would be putting them out of a job?

There is only so much volunteer work etc going around. Implementing what you were talking about would result in people being given completely pointless tasks, just to satisfy a completely outdated notion that people should not be idle, at any cost. During the great famine, pointless work schemes were put together to justify people receiving famine relief, people just breaking stones for the sake of it, resulting in roads to nowhere. You're basically talking about doing the same thing, applying a drastically failed 19th century idea to a new problem. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

There is a lot of support.

You have FETAC, FAS, FIT the list is endless and you can pretty much do a course in anything you can think of.

If you want to be upskilled the support network is there you just have to look for it or open your mouth.
    didnt think you got any help untill you were on the dole for 6 mts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

not yet wrote: »
    Degsy my man...you are my hero.

Another Nigerian, living in Birmingham, had been claiming €2,240 a month in benefits, although he was stated to have left the country in 2005.

Can someone explain to me how you can claim 2240 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

cornbb wrote: »
    Has it occurred to you that by putting people on the dole doing work in schools, hospitals or whatever, you would be taking the jobs away from those who are employed to make toast in the schools and hospitals? You do realise that people are already paid to sweep roads etc and that by putting jobseekers doing their work, you would be putting them out of a job?

There's still stuff out there that needs to be done and there is no job for it and it wouldn't be a crime against humanity if you made longterm unemployed people occasionally do these things for their money. Like cleaning up beaches and illegal skips and such.

Advertisement