Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dole is too much!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

CamperMan wrote: »
    I know one guy that gets all the dole perks, has done for many many years, works cash in hand in a full time job and does the odd job in the evening... he is raking it in, I reckon he is on well over €1000 a week....

Report him then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

There is a flood of benefit tourists coming out of the North to sign on in the south. They are being briefed by SF and know every angle and entitlement. New legislation is currently being written up to have this trend abolished. The party will soon be over

Benefit tourists briefed by SF (I assuming this is Sinn Fein?) What evidence is there of this?

I'm not a Sinn Fein supporter by any means but it seems far fetched.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

correct if i'm wrong

but isn't the dole in the republic the highest in the EU ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

fryup wrote: »
    correct if i'm wrong

but isn't the dole in the republic the highest in the EU ?

im sure it is,im sure its the most generous too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I think it is too much considering many do not pay for housing or health either. I really think that everyone on it should have to do 6 hours voluntary work a week or something like that, it's a farce in this country.

• Advertisement

i think its an farce alright way some get the councils to pay for it alright whilst the ordinary worker would have to sweat and save for a mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I think it is too much considering many do not pay for housing or health either. I really think that everyone on it should have to do 6 hours voluntary work a week or something like that, it's a farce in this country.

I agree with the compulsory voluntary work :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Which would mean the government somehow finding 1,800,000 hours of work per week, just to please the self-satisfied and self-righteous. Now thats farcial.

From the irish independent today,even the gov seems to turn the welfare office into an hse run type place
    Anger grows at 'humiliation' on the dole queues

By Ralph Riegel
    Monday January 19 2009

THE Government was last night accused of heaping public humiliation on the misery of the unemployed by not acting fast enough to deal with huge queues outside dole offices nationwide.

The Labour Party accusation came amid grim predictions that, by late 2009, Ireland could have 400,000 people on the Live Register.

The spiralling number of unemployed has now left Social Welfare staff nationwide battling to cope with soaring demand for assistance -- and, in many cases, long queues and lengthy delays are now commonplace at dole offices.

In one case, a long queue formed outside the Social Welfare office on Bandon's North Main Street -- at the very time there was heavy traffic to local schools, churches and shops.

In some cases, applicants were so embarrassed by their plight they stood with their backs to the street facing the wall while waiting their turn at the counter.

Labour TD Ciaran Lynch warned that such sights were now commonplace nationwide and were absolutely unforgivable given that thousands of people now on the dole have never been unemployed before in their lives.

He stressed that under-pressure Social Welfare staff urgently need greater support and resources, while the unemployed deserve greater respect from the Government.

"These people worked and contributed to the Celtic Tiger at the height of our prosperity so they deserve to be treated now with respect and dignity," he said.

However, the Labour TD said he found it "absolutely astonishing" that it can take up to 14 weeks to process a fresh unemployment assistance claim today -- whereas at the height of the recession in the 1980s, with 250,000 people on dole queues, the average waiting period was just three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I think the dole can be too much for some people yet not enough for others (if you know what i mean)

There are people who are on social welfare all their life and all the allowences that come with it who arent actively looking for a job, nor are they sick/disabled as they claim. Its my opinion that the dole is too much for these people.

Then there are the people who, over the last few years worked very hard. Had good wages and decided to buy/build a house and buy brand new cars and jeeps and that was when the house prices were mental. These people put themselves into alot of debt - but then of course they thought that the economy would still be ok. Now these people are redundant with a family and a big mortgage and the dole wont pay the bills and the way that the economy and banks is at the minute they cant sell their house to get a more affordable one. So in this case the dole payment isnt enough to meet the needs of the people.

• Advertisement

it was pure madness,the young couples who had a rich mammy or daddy often appearing on primetime or the news whingeing about not been able to get a house,then all a sudden we had a gold rush of houses,every sort of ejit who thaught he was a big lad became a builder overnight,and yes you where right too there was alot of nitwits who got themselfs into that mess,now theres houses but hardly no young couples around because they are leaving the country,and your right too,there is some people who claiming disabled or ill but claiming welfare

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Which would mean the government somehow finding 1,800,000 hours of work per week, just to please the self-satisfied and self-righteous. Now thats farcial.

No, as I suggested earlier, the government could strike a deal with a company that's looking for a large number of cheaper labour, in which essentially the gov pays their wages (i.e. the dole), and the company would pay a certain amount to the government.

No, as I suggested earlier, the government could strike a deal with a company that's looking for a large number of cheaper labour, in which essentially the gov pays their wages (i.e. the dole), and the company would pay a certain amount to the government.

i have a feeling thats why they are running adverts on tv at mo,getting trans year students to teach the eldery how to use comps instead of useing fas or some other place to save money

What companies out there are looking for a large number of people?And if there was, why wouldn't they employ the people themselves, thereby reducing the dole queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

I'm sure most people know this, but I haven't seen it explicitly pointed out in this thread:

There are two types of unemployment payments, I'm not sure of the proper names but...
    1. Good dole (Job seekers allowance??) - You get this with NO QUESTIONS ASKED because of your previous PRSI payments. You are 100% entitled to this, and I don't think anyone will compain about this (even with the high rate of payment).
    2. Bad dole (Unemployment benefit?) - This is what you get when your PRSI "stamps" (or whatever they are calling them these days) run out. You must jump through mannny hoops to get this, providing proof you are available for and actively seeking work etc etc etc. They will even boot you off this if you don't at least keep up the appearance that you are searching. Many people think this dole should have more stringent requirements/reductions. But hey, it could be worse: in France and Belgium they have "dole for life", they cannot kick you off it at all (you must work for one year to qualify though). That's why the aforementioned countries have so many crusties.

This is my experience of the Irish dole system, I signed on at one stage and wahey was given the dole no problems. Then they cut it off ONE WEEK later (me: wtf!?). Turns out I had just used up the last of my stamps, and then the hoop-jumping commenced.

Please forgive me if this information is not accurate. Also please forgive me for getting BTEA for 4 years (completely unrelated to said dole story above), then promptly leaving Ireland once I graduated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hayyman

ntlbell wrote: »
    it doesn't matter what your previous wage was.

the dole is not a salary replacement scheme

the money is there to assist you while your seeking employment it's not there so you can continue with the lifestyle you were previously living so what you earned before is irrelevant and has no baring on the dole been too much or not enough to live on.
    I know how the dole works:rolleyes:

deadhead13 wrote: »
    What companies out there are looking for a large number of people?And if there was, why wouldn't they employ the people themselves, thereby reducing the dole queues.

I dunno, try any company that have outsourced labour intensive operations to countries with much lower minimum wages.

They wouldn't employ them themselves because under current laws they'd have to pay miminum wage, but what I propose is dole=wage, and benefit to economy= fees from such companies that would reduce the cost of welfare payments.

The hours could be reduced so that the dole is closer to minimum wage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Mena wrote: »
    And how is it you know that Ireland is not the first "free country" they get to exactly?

what a stupid statement!
    theres scores of countries between nigeria and ireland

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Yeah but the cost of living here, even just for basic food items, is an awful lot more than in the UK.

People in general would be fine with taking paycuts so long as the actual cost of living also dropped.
    Still don't think the dole should be dropped in amount until at least the cost of living has dropped significantly.

exactly,we pay in some cases up to triple for food and accomodation than what they pay in the uk

You are basing your argument/rant on the fact that ONE of your mates is like this? You know, I hope you lose your job really soon, a bit harsh but it will give you a right slap in the face. No the dole is not too high, taking into account living expenses and all that.=It's not cheap. Oh and your mate paying 30 euro a month on rent is complete bull crap. The government do not subsidise that much for rent. Your friend must be on DA allowance too or something that you do not know about.

actually they do

its possible to claim about 130 a week for rent

i have a friend who claims

204 for normal dole
    130 odd for rent allowance
    another 15 for smokeless fuel allowance
    and a medical card(variable value)

total 349

its quite reasonable for doing nothing but it needs to be this high
    as people are accustomed to a good standard of life from the boom
    and taxes paid reflect this

• Advertisement

dont mean to insult or offend anyone,but it has been stated earlier why do addicts/drunks get the dole?,,why does a homeless person not get it if thats the case?

I think it is a kind of catch 22 situation- you need an address to claim benifits but you need benifits to find somewhere to live. And probably seen as a way of getting people of the streets and into hostels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 alrilad

Ive heard alot of people latey complaining that as they were self employed they cant claim any benifits. I know the dole is off limits but surly they can claim something. I am self employed and I am luck I still have work, but if this was to change am I on my own with no money and a morgage to pay. Is there anything for them?

ive been hearing that too alr,its mainly down to fact that during the boom,the likes of builders/carpenters/plasters they did not contribute anything to the state coffers during the boom,so they are not getting a free handout now,unlike a person who worked for them and paid their tax

Well in a way thats true because most wouldnt have been paying prsi. But they would have been paying taxes. Would this alone not entitle them to something..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I believe every man and womon should have to the right to work ,the right to earn a decent living without numerous obstacles being put in place which forces them onto the dole .I know this is the reality for thousends of people in UK and more or less the same for people in Ireland. While a dole life existence may work for one person ,it wont for another, regardless of what they get because peoples circumstance /situations will change for various reasons .Your son daughter reach age 18 in uk and you take a big drop in any doel payments recieved .The reality is people will have to go out to work to make up that shortfall in money and while many will want to work ,many others will not .

alrilad wrote: »
    Ive heard alot of people latey complaining that as they were self employed they cant claim any benifits. I know the dole is off limits but surly they can claim something. I am self employed and I am luck I still have work, but if this was to change am I on my own with no money and a morgage to pay. Is there anything for them?

You would probably be entitled to job seekers allowance, but not sure. Ask in the state benefit forum above under Biz/personal/state benefit.

or try

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/default.aspx

Thankfully I dont need it yet. But just found it hard to belive they were getting notting..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Wagon wrote: »
    If people are trying to find a job and can't get one, then yes they should get the dole payment. But if they aren't actively trying to find work in any way then it should be cut, or at least make them pay half their rent. Cuts out the wasters. but you can't cut everyones dole down, there's a lot of people out there who want to work but can't.

Didnt they have that back in the day that you had to prove that you were looking for work by getting form stamped to show you attending interviews or whatever... but then it ended up that they would be running around the place a day before the dole begging compaines to stamp the form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

alrilad wrote: »

Well its very hard for self-employed people who are going through a rough patch to prove they are looking for work elsewhere too. Remember its a jobseeking allowance not a have no work allowance. I know this cause I asked about signing on while I started up my own lil business as I had left work over an argument and was stuck for cash while I tried to get a bit of custom going and was told no chance. Hell some weeks Id make more on the dole but feck it.

Advertisement