Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DealHunter - Sources & Delivers goods in NI to ROI

Options
  • 13-01-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Check this crowd out, they source and deliver goods from Northern Ireland and deliver them down south. Saves all the hassle of driving up and finding the best deal for teles, clothes etc...

MM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmm...

On the flyer alone - no prices mentioned (I assume you get a quote with the product you want - taking into account weight and all. But a sample price would have been nice), an @ireland.com e-mail address and mobile number as primary contact?

3 things I'd be particularly weary about... but welcome to hear different opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

My Sainsburys shopping list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

i think i heard of this on some of the radio stations a while back, think its basically man with van who gos up and buys on your behalf and delivers to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭banchang

So not a personal shopper who can select a nice pair of Vans for me in the Outlet ? :o

(I'm on form today)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Check this crowd out, they source and deliver goods from Northern Ireland and deliver them down south. Saves all the hassle of driving up and finding the best deal for teles, clothes etc...

MM

just out of interest, where did you hear about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 brndonnie

Good post monstermob, thanks. I have just got a Nintendo DS from this guy. Got Brain Training 1 & 2, an essentials pack and the console for €150. Console on its own is 150 in town. He charged me €20 to get it and deliver and gave me all the receipts. Asked him about delivering other stuff and it all depends on size but a big TV would be €40 to Dublin and so would a trolley from IKEA without even going up there.
    It is a young fella running it on his own so that explained the mobile and email but he seemed fairly genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

brndonnie wrote: »
    Good post monstermob, thanks. I have just got a Nintendo DS from this guy. Got Brain Training 1 & 2, an essentials pack and the console for €150. Console on its own is 150 in town. He charged me €20 to get it and deliver and gave me all the receipts. Asked him about delivering other stuff and it all depends on size but a big TV would be €40 to Dublin and so would a trolley from IKEA without even going up there.
    It is a young fella running it on his own so that explained the mobile and email but he seemed fairly genuine.

cash on delivery I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what are the odds that the OP is this guy advertising his own business? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Fair play to him if it is. There's an opening in the market, and he's trying to fill it.

If he's based north of the border, I'd like to suggest another business opportunity to him. He should allow people to get electronics and stuff from the likes of Play delivered to his place of business, and then deliver them on to the customer for a small fee.
    I reckon he'd make an absolute killing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Don't worry it's not my own business but I do know the guy and he's 100% genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Don't worry it's not my own business but I do know the guy and he's 100% genuine.

Is it this guy?:) \/
    brndonnie wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Or possibly this guy from the "Shopping online and can't get delivery to Ireland?" sticky?
    dealhunter wrote: »
    I know of a service similar to this between the Northern Irl and the Republic. Had a monthly shop from Sainsburys delivered for €20 to Dublin saved a packet. Then used the service to get a TV delivered for €40 and saved €250 on the same TV in power city!!!

He has just 3 posts all on the above subject.He makes no reference to it being his company but offers to PM details of it.Maybe just coincidental choice of nick but I doubt it.

Would be a great idea but sounds a little dodgy.

I'd be happily open to being wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

lads if i stuck up a bargain alert saying there is some fella down the docks in galway selling crack for half price, or there is a hooker for half nothing im pretty sure the thread would be locked due to both these things being illegal, some guy importing stuff from the north for you is also illegal, (correct me if im wrong but)there is free movement of goods in EU countries if they are for personal use, but you must pay tax otherwise. Its hard to argue that a fella getting stuff from the north for you is personal use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

you guys bitch that sh1t is too expensive down here, then when some guy offers you a better price you bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

where can i look up the price of archos mp3 players (archos 605) up the north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dealhunter

Mystery over. The flyer posted by MonsterMob is actually the service I have been offering now since before Christmas. Next to clear up some other unanswered questions that have been raised by this forum.

Fighting Irish - Thank you. It is amazing how we as a nation bitch and moan about things and don't act. There are so many cycnics that shoot down anything that might actually help them.

witnessmenow - I will correct you but you are partly right. Firstly I "courier" goods from Northern Ireland (part of the EU) to normal retail customers in the south. I do not courier goods that are subject to cutoms and excise duties and restrictions such as Alcohol/Tobacco and motor fuel. As every item I bring down is for personal use and is NOT being resold by me the goods are NOT subject to any taxes. If you need further evidence of the legality I am happy to refer you a customer yesterday who happened to be a Superintendent in Store Street. Otherwise the following link might help http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

Chilly - You have excellent powers of deduction. Maybe it was the handle "DealHunter" that gave it away...?

Jimbo78 - No, not me, just another satisfied customer.

MonsterMob - Thanks for the vote of confidence and the post.

Soarer - Im based in Dublin at the moment but I am looking at renting space up North to be able to take deliveries from the PLAY's etc of this world. Big opportunity for savings if this is possible. Will keep the forum posted.

the groutch - 0%

sweetie - No not always. We discuss payments terms with each individual customer. In this instance I collected the money at 7am of brndonnie on my way up North and had the DS delivered to him by lunchtime

brndonnie - thankyou for your custom. I hope you are enjoying the DS.

chillywilly - there are a number of places where you might have heard about this. Possibly from radio interviews on Spin 103.8 and LMFM. I also have been handing out flyers at the weekends in IKEA and at the traffic lights coming into Newry. In fact I was there this morning and have possibly picked-up pneumonia in the rain. I have been interviewed by two newspapers about the service. One of these being a tabloid daily the other a Sunday broadsheet about the business. I am hoping that they both will publish a piece but will keep this forum posted on the success of this. Finally the viral qualities of email may have spread the flyer wide and farand it may have reached you that way.

banchang - I sure could pick up those VANS for you but you would need to give me an idea of style, colour, size you are looking for.

brightkane - As I said above I was on Spin 103.8 and LMFM about this.

banchang - Very common request. You give us your shopping list and we go up and do it for you. As easy as that.

basquille - Your assumption is right, delivery fee is based upon weight/volume. I am sorry about the mobile phone number and the email address but as a start-up my focus is keeping the costs low for both me and the customers.
    With regards to the sample price I appreciate the constructive feedback. I did not wish to put prices on the flyer because the price is so dependent on the amount of goods being ordered, where in IRL they are being delivered and how quickly you want them. But indicative pricing to deliver to Dublin would be as follows
    €20-25 - For grocery shops, electronic items such as MP3's, DVD players, games consoles, etc
    €40-50 - For large (42"+) TV's, dishwashers, cookers, other large appliances, furniture, one trolley of flat pack from IKEA

These are just prices to Dublin and we do deliver countrywide so it does depend. In addition all the money we save for you by doing the "shopping around" goes to you. The receipt is yours and we do not sell on the goods to you and we take no commission or surcharges. It is just the delivery fee.

To the Forum generally there is never a good time to start a business and this is especially true in the current environment. I thank the like of MonsterMob (even if he already knows me) for posting my flyer to the forum as no business can survive if it has no customers. Like many of you I have a mortgage to pay and working my ass off with this business is the only income I have. I am not in it to rip anyone off or make a fast buck as I value my reputation more than that. For the cynics all I can say is try my service you may be surprised that someone in Ireland actually offers something called customer service. Thanks.

tiem to lock this thread imo, this site isnt for companies to advertise themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

tiem to lock this thread imo, this site isnt for companies to advertise themselves

I disagree. A poster put up a flyer for a service he felt would be useful, other posters replied with questions or experience reports and then the business owner posted some clarifications and responses to questions asked.

Exactly what the site needs.

so if I put up a leaflet for one for one of those hotel "auctions", or one of the clothing "charities" it's okay then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

so if I put up a leaflet for one for one of those hotel "auctions", or one of the clothing "charities" it's okay then?

if you feel it's a bargain and don't personally benefit from it, then why not?

€40 to save me travelling up north, queing for what I want and coming back down is a bargain to me. It would cost me that much in petrol, never mind my time.

• Advertisement

These goods cannot be for commercial purposes. They must be for your own use. If you intend to sell or accept any kind of payment for the goods you bring in, this is classified as commercial use.

You proved my point with your own link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

You proved my point with your own link

I'm no legal eagle but there is plenty of wriggle room on this one. The poster said he/she couriers the products so "he/she" does not bring them in (in a personal capacity), however, I'd welcome being corrected!:)

Ok lets put it this way you ask dealhunter(DH from now on) to get you a PS3 up the north.

DH goes into argos and buys the the PS3 for €X, he now legal owns the PS3.

DH brings it back down to you and says here's the receipt for the PS3 and you pay him €X for it (lets even forget about the courier charge)

DH has now technically sold you the PS3. Which clearly goes against what I quoted from the revenue.ie link

The only way i can see a way around it from a legal standpoint is if you ring argos and pay for the PS3 and all he does is collect it.

@Dealhunter re: Superintendent - Just because he did does not make it legal, believe it or not cops do illegal things too. I knew a girl a few year ago who's father was a Garda, at the age of 17 she had a age card with her name/picture saying she was 18.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

He gets paid the money first, so when he's buying it, he's not paying for it with his own money, but the customer's. So he never really owns it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

No different than many other threads which pop up from time to time, Richer Sounds etc..,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dealhunter

The service works on the premise exactly like "byte" says. We have to take payment from the customer at the outset. Otherwise they could pull a fast one and l leave me holding the goods. By taking payment at the outset the ownership of the item is always vested in the customer. At no point in the transaction do I attain legal interest in the goods. My solicitor has assured me that the transaction structured in this way is all above board.

If your solicitor says its legal then who am i to argue. Good luck with the bussiness.

@Bluetonic: Richer Sounds pay boards money to advertise here and for their commercial intereaction thread, not really the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

If your solicitor says its legal then who am i to argue. Good luck with the bussiness.

@Bluetonic: Richer Sounds pay boards money to advertise here and for their commercial intereaction thread, not really the same thing.

Very much the same actually. Richer started here just like this and eventually took an interaction forum. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me and a BARGAIN. Good luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭signman12

sounds like a great idea, good luck to you dealhunter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Excellent idea. I have a few things i want to get but dont have the time to go up. i'll be in touch.

Advertisement