Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DealHunter - Sources & Delivers goods in NI to ROI

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You'll have to get yourself better publicity nationwide (like Donegal :)) so the service can be cheaper and more frequent.

Best of luck with your venture, and the NI office is a promising idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

dealhunter wrote: »
    Chilly - You have excellent powers of deduction. Maybe it was the handle "DealHunter" that gave it away...?

Yes thank you Dealhunter.It was the nick...as I mentioned in my post.

I think it's a pity you initially chose deceptive means to introduce your service in the "Shopping online but can't get delivery to Ireland?"thread.I'm sure you understand that consumers who hand over money to someone in advance of recieving goods deserve to know who they are dealing with and if favourable reviews of that business are genuine.That was the vein in which I wrote my first post.Not everyone wants to bitch about or twart genuine initiative.

If you are the real deal I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavours.It's a great idea for a service and it's one I'd like to use if I was confident in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The service works on the premise exactly like "byte" says. We have to take payment from the customer at the outset. Otherwise they could pull a fast one and l leave me holding the goods. By taking payment at the outset the ownership of the item is always vested in the customer. At no point in the transaction do I attain legal interest in the goods. My solicitor has assured me that the transaction structured in this way is all above board.

It would also be very easy for the person buying the goods to take payment off several people and then disappear, especially when all they provide is a mobile number and an email address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dealhunter

the groutch - Obviously that could happen but not with me. I am happy to provide references and any other details to comfort the customer. Im not interested in disappearing anywhere I want this to be a sustainable venture but it is just starting up.

chilly - very much the real deal. The post in the other forum was one of my first posts ever on boards so just wished to try and put the idea out. I never intended to deceive as anyone who contacted me I have always been upfront straight away.

byte - I would love to be in a position to advertise nationally but just dont have the cash to do so at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Sounds like a great idea alright. I'll keep my eye out for stuff.
    indicative pricing to deliver to Dublin would be as follows
    €20-25 - For grocery shops, electronic items such as MP3's, DVD players, games consoles, etc

€40-50 - For large (42"+) TV's, dishwashers, cookers, other large appliances, furniture, one trolley of flat pack from IKEA

Using the same estimate on the above, how much would delivery be to Cork City?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

@Bluetonic: Richer Sounds pay boards money to advertise here and for their commercial intereaction thread, not really the same thing.
    How do you think they started their commercial interaction?

Get the bee out of your bonnet.

dealhunter, a good idea is to register for vat (even if you're not gonna earn the €32,500 a year that makes it necessary), so that you can put that on your flyer, it makes a huge difference when trying to drum up business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Buying a domain name for a few quid and getting your email away from @ireland.com can only be a good thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Buying a domain name for a few quid and getting your email away from @ireland.com can only be a good thing.
    What he said. It will make you look that little bit more reputable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

well done,good idea hope you do well...........

• Advertisement

Maybe in the short term ebay could provide you with an online customer interface and a platform to explain and market your service. Lots of good mail forwarding services have started out like this eg globalconnections.An example of one of these services presently on ebay is :http://cgi.ebay.ie/UK-Mail-Package-Parcel-Forwarding-Worldwide-mar-e-sol_W0QQitemZ350153656669QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item350153656669&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
    Usually those businesses work by selling a ticket for the services via ebay for a small sum.Then in exchange for their payment you send them your contact details and let them inform you of what they need.You arrange full payment for your service and the item they want at this point.

Working via ebay allows customers to leave you feedback which would probably be valuable for someone such as yourself who will be heavily reliant on reputation to survive.Also alot more people might be more comfortable paying via paypal than providing cash up front.It's also an easier service to publicise online and you could add details of it to your leaflet.

Just a thought!

The VAT number is a good idea. That's something I'd probably look for on a flier such as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

The problem with registering for VAT is that it will put his prices up by 21.5% for individuals (as oppose to registered businesses), unless you are expecting him to absorb the extra cost.

surely tho there are a whole lot of expenses he could claim vat back on?

Depends on the nature of the business. eg I would imagine a window cleaner grossing less than 32,500 would be better off not registering for VAT. On the other hand, if you are buying in a lot stuff to sell on then registering for VAT would make sense because you will be paying VAT on the stuff you are purchasing for resale anyway.

it seems the main cost of running such a service is petrol, so if he can claim vat back on that

True, but there are also the accounting implications to consider. It suits some people much better to be a sole trader and not registered for VAT. In Dealhunter's case, you could only say for certain if you knew all the specifics of the business, but it's certainly something he should think about - in the last couple of posts I was really just saying that it's not necessarily a black & white decision.

agree with that, unless you've run your own business, you can never know half of the admin end of it

Thanks for the advice guys. I spent most of today with an accountant on these things. As already has been said there is never a black and white answer around these things. However at the moment and as a soletrader there would be no benefit of registering for V.A.T as firstly I would not meet the threshold and secondly it would then be an extra cost in admin and expense to pass on. As I am not a reseller of goods there is no benefit to register for V.A.T in that regard. However the clear benefit would be the legitimacy this would provide the service. There is no doubt that if the service takes off then it will be benefical to register for V.A.T as there will be the saving in recouping the V.A.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 molzer

Best of luck with the nes venture dealhunter. As somebody residing in the SouthWest I've been feeling a bit hard done by listening to all of the stories of bargains up North.

I'm interested in buying a camera up North but if I buy online I could be waiting 28 days. I want it in about 10 days. I've a retailer in mind, has a shop in Newry.

Can you get it for me and whats the deal?

We appeared in the paper over the weekend so please have a look.

• Advertisement

That's great coverage.Was a good idea to include a photo of you and some background.I'm sure it will inspire confidence. You should get some sort of website up asap to take advantage of that publicity though because other than boards.ie there aren't any google hits for your service.
    Good luck again.

putting a name and a face to the business makes a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

suppafly wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea alright. I'll keep my eye out for stuff.

Using the same estimate on the above, how much would delivery be to Cork City?

Want to know this as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Perhaps some-one in the Cork area should set up a similar enterprise, as we are so very far away from the North, I'd imagine that there would be a big market for it down here. Come on some enterprising Cork Boardsie! I'd do it myself if I hadn't 3 young sons!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Want to know this as well...

Depends on what you want us to bring down. But to keep the costs low if I can get enough orders to fill the van from down that way I could keep the cost not far from ones quoted above. Let me know what you want and happy to help out.

chilly wrote: »
    That's great coverage.Was a good idea to include a photo of you and some background.I'm sure it will inspire confidence. You should get some sort of website up asap to take advantage of that publicity though because other than boards.ie there aren't any google hits for your service.
    Good luck again.

Totally agree with you but Im hopeful the website should be up and running in the next forthnight.

putting a name and a face to the business makes a big difference

Certainly helps build confidence in what we are about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Not to swing in here flingin poop; But are there not VAT implications for this kind of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

consultech wrote: »
    Not to swing in here flingin poop; But are there not VAT implications for this kind of thing?

You should read the thread imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Hey Shane,

Good publicity, think its a great idea and if something comes up that I am after i will deffo give you the nod, So much easier now also with getting prices online from the likes of dixons, argos ect.

Dealhunter and d4hotels for newbies of 2009!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Is this service available to limerick or cork, and if so, how does the payment part work?

Advertisement