Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DealHunter - Sources & Delivers goods in NI to ROI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Is this service available to limerick or cork, and if so, how does the payment part work?
    Dealhunter wrote:
    Depends on what you want us to bring down. But to keep the costs low if I can get enough orders to fill the van from down that way I could keep the cost not far from ones quoted above. Let me know what you want and happy to help out.

thats from a couple of post above yours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

I think you could run into trouble with the VAT man here, I realise that you are only providing a service and charging for this service and making returns on this basis BUT if you are accepting the full value of goods revenue will deem that your turnover is the value of goods plus any add on delivery costs, obviously your profit figures dont change but it does push you into compulsory registration so I personally would get a second view on this. The fact that you are receiveing full payment makes a big difference in how the transaction is classified. Also regardless of what you tell people title of the goods remains with your company until you actually deliver them. Yes you are acting as agent (of sort) but the fact that you have paid for the goods yourself transfers ownership of these goods to your company wether that be sole trader or limited company etc etc), not trying to put people off but I think your previous point on this matter is slightly controversial. By the way I think its a really good service and wish you all the best with it, your initial problem will probably be trying to build up your profile and gain peoples confidence.... if you could set up some sort of bond (not sure how you could structure this) I am sure it would go a long way to give people peace of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dealhunter

Thanks for the caution and advice. What I have been told to date is that as the business has just registered it will not meet either threshold for services or goods for sometime. However your argument does make sense and will I raise it with the accountant. It is a complex and technical area so I have full faith in the advice given by someone more qualified than myself and not proclaim on boards to have the answer.

I will say though the majority of our transactions do not involve us taking the payment at all for the goods. The customer pays the retailer who we have sourced and we simply deliver the goods. I have stated this previously but once again and in this instance we do not take ownership.
    I do agree for transactions where we have to take payment that is a different issue. However we are in the process of putting in place the capability to be able to do this with all the retailers we work with so to avoid that situation.

I appreciate the feedback good or bad as I want DealHunter to be something sustainable so thanks.

alanceltic wrote: »
    I think you could run into trouble with the VAT man here, I realise that you are only providing a service and charging for this service and making returns on this basis BUT if you are accepting the full value of goods revenue will deem that your turnover is the value of goods plus any add on delivery costs, obviously your profit figures dont change but it does push you into compulsory registration so I personally would get a second view on this. The fact that you are receiveing full payment makes a big difference in how the transaction is classified. Also regardless of what you tell people title of the goods remains with your company until you actually deliver them. Yes you are acting as agent (of sort) but the fact that you have paid for the goods yourself transfers ownership of these goods to your company wether that be sole trader or limited company etc etc), not trying to put people off but I think your previous point on this matter is slightly controversial. By the way I think its a really good service and wish you all the best with it, your initial problem will probably be trying to build up your profile and gain peoples confidence.... if you could set up some sort of bond (not sure how you could structure this) I am sure it would go a long way to give people peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Top notch idea dealhunter. I bet things will go well ofr you.
    How much to deliver an ikea trolley to portlaoise?
    You could stop off on the way to cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

A tad bit confused as to how a "grocery shop" works. Do I simply give you a list of goods I want from Sainsbury's and you pick them up for aprox. 20 EUR?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

deal hunters founder is on gerry ryan now

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

deal hunters founder is on gerry ryan now
    God.. I swore I'd never listen to Gerry Ryan but will give it a listen.

Good job the website is now LIVE!!!

www.dealhunter.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dealhunter wrote: »

www.dealhunter.ie

Ya what Gay?
    DealHunter.ie is an Irish sourcing and courier business helping customer in Southern Ireland take advantage of bargains currently available in Northern Ireland. Our mission is to help Irish consumers find great value shopping in Northern Ireland on all products without having to leave home. We take away the hassle of making the journey to Northern Ireland while saving you money in the process. So if you want the bargains but without all the hassle then please use the link below to contact us with your requirments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

www.dealhunter.ie

You should definitely take a bit more time over that - apart from the "Southern Ireland" (that's Munster then?) bit, you've at least two typos in the one paragraph - "customer" and "requirments"

Good service though"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Dealhunter, a bit of harsh advice here; your website looks quite bad. It looks very thrown together and does nothing to communicate what you are about. People don't read large blocks of text, they want to be able to get a good idea about a site in the first 2 seconds of looking at it.

A few things I'd advise;
    • Have a picture on the front page as a visual reference of what the service is about (a picture speaks 1,000 words).
    • Have in big lettering your name and your contact number on the front page. If someone goes to your site and are interested in hiring you, they do not want to have to click around to find out how to get in touch with you.
    • "save (at) dealhunter.ie" isn't a good choice of email address. People already know why they are on your site, ie to save and get a good deal, you don't have to intice them with a catchy email address, but what you do want is for them to be able to remember the address. info@ is the best one for this, it's the one that nearly every site in the world uses for a similar function.
    • You need to cleary illustrate the function of each element of the site. For example, that little yellow icon that loads up the contact form...that needs to have a heading suggesting what it is about.
    • All that I have suggested would not take a lot of further work and shouldn't cost too much more in fees if you're using a good designer.

Here's a good example of a well designed service based site; www.vantasks.ie
    Best of luck with the venture anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aye I'd recommend spending a bit on the website, it will turn people off. Best of luck anyway, I will probably use you for a TV and a few crates of Wine soon enough.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, keep them coming. I agree the website is not the greatest but we needed to have something up in advance of the media coverage this weekend. I hope to have something much more professional up and running very shortly so all your comments are greatly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Well Done Dealhunter, think your business is a great idea. Great to see someone with the initiative and courage to open a new venture which will help ease the recession for others!!
    My boyfriend lives up north and i have been providing this service to family and friends for months, without getting paid for it - will refer them to you from now on!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joecurt

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Check this crowd out, they source and deliver goods from Northern Ireland and deliver them down south. Saves all the hassle of driving up and finding the best deal for teles, clothes etc...

MM
    i am looking for a good quality dog nuts at present im paying between 12 to 17 euro i am also looking for natural pigeon food

joecurt wrote: »
    i am looking for a good quality dog nuts at present im paying between 12 to 17 euro i am also looking for natural pigeon food

send a message through the website of what you are after and will discuss options available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Fair play to ya man, superb innovation on your behalf. Hope it proves a financial success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Mystery over. The flyer posted by MonsterMob is actually the service I have been offering now since before Christmas. Next to clear up some other unanswered questions that have been raised by this forum.

Dealhunter,

I'm looking at buying my domestic appliances for my new house in Kilkenny from Newry, do you deliver that size, I'm talking domestic appliances for a kitchen.

We have finally secured warehouse space in Belfast to allow everyone to shop online in ASDA, SAINSBURY, TESCO, CURRYS, DIXONS, COMET, AMAZON, NEXT, LAURA ASHLEY, etc, etc and have their goods sent to our address. We will then arrange a suitable delivery time with you and brings the goods to your door.
    To do this contact me via the website and I will let you know the address details.

Thanks

p.s the crap website will be replaced shortly with something more suitable, thankfully!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

We have finally secured warehouse space in Belfast to allow everyone to shop online in ASDA, SAINSBURY, TESCO, CURRYS, DIXONS, COMET, AMAZON, NEXT, LAURA ASHLEY, etc, etc and have their goods sent to our address. We will then arrange a suitable delivery time with you and brings the goods to your door.
    To do this contact me via the website and I will let you know the address details.

Thanks

p.s the crap website will be replaced shortly with something more suitable, thankfully!!

I assume you're getting your vat applications ready then, because now there's not going to be anyone handing you the cash to pay for them, so you are now technically selling to your clients

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I assume you're getting your vat applications ready then, because now there's not going to be anyone handing you the cash to pay for them, so you are now technically selling to your clients

? You the VAT man? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Not sure but I don't tink he's selling, what people do is order items online, pay for the item online and get them deliver to the warehoue, so Dealhunter is only doing a deivery service from the warehouse to the customer address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Really Really good idea.

That makes it much easier to order when you can just do it direct from the relevant website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

What's your problem?
    All he's doing is acting as a courier. Have you contacted UPS about people getting goods delivered to their warehouse for delivery down south?

What if you don't bother doing any business with Deal Hunter, and those of us that do will worry about the VAT and stuff.

Jesus, a fella comes up with a solution to a problem that's existed for years, and all some people want to do is pick holes in it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Get a life, grouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

i had been discussing with dealhunter before the merits or not of registering for vat, was just making a suggestion for him that his vat situation might have changed significantly, sorry if it sound like I was been smart

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

i had been discussing with dealhunter before the merits or not of registering for vat, was just making a suggestion for him that his vat situation might have changed significantly, sorry if it sound like I was been smart

Fair enough.
    We're all very sensitive these days! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just finished reading this thread from the start and would like to ad the following:

Dealhunter - Bravo ! and best of luck with the venture. I wish you all the best:D

Groutch - Build a bridge....and get over it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well done! Eventually we can place orders from e-bay, 7dayshop and amazon.
    About the page - it is too wide for my laptop, I cannot see the upper banner with the name of the service/company. And as mentioned above, your e-mail and phone number should be the first what hit my eyes.
    By the way, have you considered regular time schedule, for example Cork on Tueasdays, Galway on Thursdays...? That would allow people to plan their shopping knowing that there is great possibility that there will be more customers and therefore the carriage fee would be reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

ThOnda wrote: »
    Well done! Eventually we can place orders from e-bay, 7dayshop and amazon.
    About the page - it is too wide for my laptop, I cannot see the upper banner with the name of the service/company. And as mentioned above, your e-mail and phone number should be the first what hit my eyes.
    By the way, have you considered regular time schedule, for example Cork on Tueasdays, Galway on Thursdays...? That would allow people to plan their shopping knowing that there is great possibility that there will be more customers and therefore the carriage fee would be reduced.

Definitely +1 for this idea! Would benefit everyone I think once it was up & running. Any chance of this? :)

Advertisement