Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Tax.... what I would do with it

Options
  • 13-01-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

I love my cars and have been very lucky over the years to have driven a lot of different cars, I used to work until recently in the motor trade sort off. I have have driven a lot of large engined powerfull cars,
    I would love to buy a big old beast of a car, but the road tax is what kills me now, while I could afford a nice second hand car, the thoughts of paying the top rate of road tax every year is a killer, I frigging hate road tax!!!!!!!!!!!
    if I had my way I would scrap the road tax, or drop it to a €200 a year charge no matter what car you drive, and increase petrol and diesel prices by 10cents, therfore the people who use the road more pay more more then the people who don't, and if you drive an econical car you still see the benifit...

thats just my two cents worth on this... rant over :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,511 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There's no such thing as road tax. It's motor tax, hence the reason bicycles etc don't pay it, no motor.

And there is no way the gov will change it at the moment as they will loose revenue which will have to be found somewhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Older big-engined cars are so cheap because the road tax is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Anan1 wrote: »
    Older big-engined cars are so cheap because the road tax is so high.

I know.... thats why I hate it!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

But would the big car not be more expensive if the tax was lower as everyone would want one??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

But would the big car not be more expensive if the tax was lower as everyone would want one??:confused:
    Exactly!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Get something over 30 years old. Problem solved!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You just have to learn to accept it, however that doesn't mean you have to like it. Big car, big motor tax, they go hand in hand and if you really have your heart set on a large engined car, the road tax shouldn't put you off seeing as there are so many bargains out there.

Add up the cost of the motor tax over 3-4 years and it still comes no where near the savings you make on a cheap second-hand monster. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

There's no such thing as road tax. It's motor tax, hence the reason bicycles etc don't pay it, no motor.

And there is no way the gov will change it at the moment as they will loose revenue which will have to be found somewhere else...

The losing revenue bit is up for debate I think. The gov are loosing money now because of lower VRT receipts on new vehicles. People nowdays are looking for value everywhere and it is going to become harder to justify 1500+ on annual road tax. So the gov will loose out on Road tax also. The more they tax the less the will get in. I believe a lot of older bigger cars are just not taxed(because they owners chance their arms with a €60fine or just not driving them) and if they are taxed its just for 3 months every now and then. Big engined cars in the UK are cheap like here too and they do not pay anything like the motor tax we pay. If your 3.0 litre is cheaper to buy than to tax then if the guard wants to confiscate it would be cheaper to let him to so and buy another. That is how out of kilter the road tax rates are. You should be rewarded with lower motor tax on a pro rata basis as the older your car gets. Alternatively as the OP suggests just put it on the fuel. It is the only fair way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Alternatively as the OP suggests just put it on the fuel. It is the only fair way.

Can't really do that now as it would hit hauliers and companies with large fleets precisely at the wrong time imo. I'd imagine they require more in the order of a 20% hike in fuel (cost to us) to cover motor tax.

I work for a transport company and the last 40% increase was unsustainable and I think that 20% would be also.

I principle I agree that the poluter pays but our economy has taken enough of an eco battering in the last year thanks to Gormley and his goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, OP on your comment on raising petrol pricing. I'm not going paying more per mile just so you can drive a bigger, less economical, less environmently friendly car.

Pay the tax, or stick with what you have. The value for money in those cars out balances the cost of the tax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement