Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra-marathon

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

3 sets press-ups - 19, 20, 18
    30 mins massage with The Stick (tm)

and so begins the Armstrong program.

Slight pain in knee still, so no running till fully recovered - prob Wed afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

sorry to hear you wont be doing the ultra this year. but you are being sensible , if you cant run pain free or give it your all it would be a very frustrating day.
    might see ya in connemara anyway
    best of luck

Cheers Sungod.. an Ultra is def my next step - just need to approach it a bit better so gonna look out for another one in the next year.. maybe the JW Ultra in the UK in Sept (I think..) At least now I will be awake for the booze up afterwards instead of asleep on the stairs outside my room :D

Got home from work this morning at 8am:-
    5x2 chin ups

Just outta bed now:-
    3 sets press-ups
    20, 22, 21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

dats d spirit dave,better a good 1/2 or full mara dan havin a bad experience at the ultra..u can shaperone me on d nite honey...;)

ultraman1 wrote: »
    dats d spirit dave,better a good 1/2 or full mara dan havin a bad experience at the ultra..u can shaperone me on d nite honey...;)

:eek:

• Advertisement

Kept up the Armstron program,
    mostly!

and did 55 mins on my side stepper on Wed night as my groin felt a bit odd when I tried running.
    Went club training on Thurs night and did a nice 6 - same groin issue but really enjoyed the run!
    On the beer Fri night at club social, missed Sat morn. training.
    Out again last night - did hill training with club today - a hard 5k!

A slow 3 mile one before work tonight.. groin strain felt ok.. used the stick (tm) and it seemed to do some good on my thigh muscles. Think I will need to add more yoga to my training tho to sort out whatever imbalance keeps knackering one leg then t'other!

Forgot about logging the miles!

Club training last Thurs night - a nice 6 - felt good on the run. Feel more capable of putting distance under my legs again after slowing down my pace and recovernig properly. The Stick (tm) is actually helping.. who woulda known! KLike someone said; it's only a feckin stick!

Did bugger all else since then until 4 miles now just before work. Slowed the pace for two fogies who are coming back from retirement. Think Space Cowboys and you would be close :D so it was 4 9.5 min mile pace miles. Also used the Stick before and after (cue much laughter in the changing room!)and a good stretch. Confidence is coming back even more.

Will be carbo loading with LOTS of pancakes tomorrow and then more running on Thurs. Time to break back into doing my favourite 8 mile: Kilcock - Maynooth - Kilcock.

I love running again :D:D:D

yesterday - down the canal from Kilcock to Maynooth, up the Moyglare Road and along by the farmlands and Stud farms and back to Kilcock in the lovely sunshine with occasional nice cool rain. A very enjoyable 8 miles. Knee started feeling the run by around the 6th or 7th mile, but nothing major. Recovered with a home cooked Sunday lunch and some wine and beer. :D

Did 6 on Thurs - was a great run and felt really good. Nothing since due to work/illness. Looking over this now it becomes clear I need to get serious about this lark again and soon! Although I was too sick to eat for 2 days so between that and stomach cramps I toned up nicely :D

• Advertisement

Did absolutely diddly squat since last post until Connemara. Did the half mara in 2hr 17. Could have done better if I'd not started back on the cigs since last training and had a few pints watchin the rugby, but f*** it!

Enjoyed that race (partly in hindsight!).

The Connemara air was fantastic and the scenery was a great bonus. Hotel a bit crappy - dissapointing pool/sauna and no jacuzzi despite it being advertised. Discovered a new drinks combo after the race - Guinness with G&T chasers. Nice sharp/bitter combo to wake up frmo a slump with.:D

Have a few slight aches and the main ones are in my shoulders from pumping my arms to get up those hills! I'll be back next year to do a longer one - maybe the marathon. As for the Ultra, I think I'll find another flatter one to do for my first cos if the half was like that I don't know if i'd even wanna drive the Ultra!

well done dave mc....:D

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done dave mc....:D

:rolleyes:

and sod all of anything else since Connemara. Went out to dinner Sat night, then drinks and home with my date who brought over half a bottle of rum. 4 hours sleep and half a can of Heineken in the morning for hair of the dog then out to Phoenix Park for the Bupa 10k. I actually thought it was next week till Ultraman reminded me of it 2 days beforehand.
    Ran a pretty strong race considering.. The hills were nothing after doing Connemara and my new Chi Running technique for getting up them has helped enormously. Last year I had little left in me at the 8k hill and the heat was killing me. This year it wasn't a bother and I finished sprinting with a 55min 12sec time. Not too shabby considering.
    Must actually start training properly some day soon since I am gonna be doing the Bupa 10k in London in a few weeks. But then again, I have people to catch up with over there so it's hard to know what state I'll be in come the race morining...

who007 wrote: »
    Must actually start training properly...
    :D:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement