Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landed my first lead role

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

and I'm absolutely bricking it! Anybody have any tips on what I can do to ease the nerves? If I'm feeling like this now, god knows how I'm gonna feel in 3 months when the play opens!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

Be "in" the role at least 15 mins ahead of curtain up, put all thoughts of the audience completely out of your mind and then just take a deep breath before you go on. Remind yourself that you have got the lead role because you're good. :D

Some of the finest actors have said that, if they didn't feel nervous before going on, something was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

On a note of nerves. Is there anybody here who doesn't get nervous before or during the show?

I've worked with people who, literally, couldn't eat the whole day leading up to a show.

Honestly, I've never felt nervous before or during a show. Once I know my props are where they're supposed to be and I know I know my lines I'm fine. If I wasn't well prepared I probably would be a bag of nerves I have to say.

Any one else similar? Or suffer similar like not being able to eat.
    Any superstitions, routines you go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Nerves still remain after all these years!:D
    First show (whether preview or opening, doesn't matter) is the worst.
    I like to arrive at the theatre with a bit of extra time on top of call time.
    Warm-up of some sort always helps at the venue, whether or not you have done any work at home prior (often unlikely given schedules).

Once we had a photo call just prior to a show, and our transport back was waaay late. Just had time to dive into costume. I was a bag of nerves that show.

A night on the tiles *definitely* makes the nerves worse the next day, in fact most things that make you unfocused make you nervous imo.
    Sometimes the nights way into the run, when the nerves have gone way down and you 'might think you have it all sewn up', make for some flatter performances!
    Oddly enough, I am way less nervous for improv than for scripted work for some reason. Perhaps is because there is nothing other than in the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dzerzhinsky

Absolutely agree with inisboffin. A good solid warm up, physical and mental allows you to be in control of the adrenaline which causes a lot of nerves. Some actors dismiss it as a chore but it really is an essential piece of kit, especially if it is focussed towards the production you are in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Definitely get there with loads of time to spare!

I always found getting into costume as soon as it was possible and making sure, personally, everything I needed was where it was supposed to be, a great help. You're not worrying if someone else has done their job then.

Personally I always find it relaxing to just sit on the set when there's no one else around. I've often times just sat there and read for a while. There's something peaceful about an empty set :o

I guess that might be a bit of personal routine thing with me, just getting some alone time on the set to absorb it all in and run it all in my mind.
    Like an F1 driver driving the lap in his mind in the car before he leaves the pits. :D

Make sure you know your lines and your part inside out, and outside in. Once you're relaxed, tension free and well prepared, you'll be fine ;)

Break a leg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Ay Cee wrote: »
    On a note of nerves. Is there anybody here who doesn't get nervous before or during the show?

Honestly, I've never felt nervous before or during a show. Once I know my props are where they're supposed to be and I know I know my lines I'm fine. If I wasn't well prepared I probably would be a bag of nerves I have to say.

Same! Oh dear I get nervous if I don't know my lines too. If I do know them I'm fine!

Sanjuro wrote: »
    and I'm absolutely bricking it! Anybody have any tips on what I can do to ease the nerves? If I'm feeling like this now, god knows how I'm gonna feel in 3 months when the play opens!

Congratulations on lead role! Good luck!
    I won't say break a leg, a friend did break one while shooting a hoop in High School Musical The Show!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

The secret to controlling nerves is being prepared.
    Use the rehearsal time to your advantage.
    If you have put in the work in rehearsals then your nerves will be minimal.
    A little bit of nerves before a performance is a good thing but if you feel you're not ready then it can be to your detriment.

Advertisement