Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Camera Shop Prices (too good to be true)

• 13-01-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Canon 5D mark II camera batteries are now in stock in most of the city centre camera shops, so I popped into Conns Cameras to ask the price, helpful staff member told me, €79.99

That's not massively more than some of the online sellers but then I dropped around to Gunnes on Wexford Street. They were selling the exact same battery for €46.00

Just one more reason to use shops like Gunnes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I am now willing to bet there are more 5D MII batteries in Dublin than cameras. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Dragan wrote: »
    I am now willing to bet there are more 5D MII batteries in Dublin than cameras. :)

lol me thinks so!! Best get some when I head up to the big smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I haven't tried to search for my new lense in Dublin. I bet it won't be cheaper than in Belast (Canon 24-70/2.8L).
    I am soooooo close from buying it (knowing that it will restrict and change lots of my plans).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Why would you pay that kind of money for a battery?! :O

I got two spare unbranded Canon 450D batteries from eBay for about a tenner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Sleepy wrote: »

exactly my thoughts :-) -- scratching head,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I read loads of stories of ebay compatible batteries exploding and can be faulty aswell (not charge right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

ThOnda wrote: »
    I haven't tried to search for my new lense in Dublin. I bet it won't be cheaper than in Belast (Canon 24-70/2.8L).
    I am soooooo close from buying it (knowing that it will restrict and change lots of my plans).
    If one was to buy the 24-70 would it not make the 50mm more unused in ones collection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Sleepy wrote: »

the 5DII takes new batteries that have a chip that communicates battery life to the camera. The unbranded ones, as of yet, don't have any chip and you can't see what charge is left at all on your battery

so for commercial jobs, i don't want to run out of battery power and not know about it in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If one was to buy the 24-70 would it not make the 50mm more unused in ones collection?

If you thought that every time you went to buy a lens... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Sterling prices have just risen on Lens and cameras in the North and UK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What? Stuff cheaper in dublin than online! Is this the first time ever in the photography forum? This should be made a sticky!
    Gunnes is a great shop, I like the staff, I usually buy my bits and pieces there. Don't mind paying a couple of quid extra for small stuff (bags, covers, even memory cards). I'd love to buy everything there, but when it comes to lenses I just can't justify the extra 300-400 extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Speaking of Gunne's, anyone know what time they close at? I want to drop in as I'm in the city centre this week but I won't be able to until very late in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭brianmacl

I bought another brand of battery, it was from a large chain that are up north but no longer down here. anyway the battery is okay and grand as a back up but the life is not as good as the real canon version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Do the batteries mentioned work well in the Canon eos 400d (Digital Rebel)? Sometimes the more sophisticated the equipment, the more open to error it can become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What? Stuff cheaper in dublin than online!

I would say that stuff is now less expensive in Dublin than elsewhere. It's still not cheap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭brianmacl

Anouilh wrote: »
    Do the batteries mentioned work well in the Canon eos 400d (Digital Rebel)? Sometimes the more sophisticated the equipment, the more open to error it can become.

I mainly shoot with a 400d and as said the battery works okay, I would not want it as my main battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Different lenses for different situations. The 24-70L is a different beast to the 50mm, I still use both quite a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Sterling prices have just risen on Lens and cameras in the North and UK

Indeed, the D3 I got in Calumet for £2459 is now £2969 - Am I glad I bought when I did at the cusp of the exchange rate high and low sterling price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Holy crap. That's a pretty steep jump. Nearly 20%.

24-70/2.8L £100 increase since last week.
    I have started a game called "Price match! I have my credit card in the hand..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hah, funny i did something similar in Galway Camera Store of all places...

Now i have bad mouthed them in the past as their prices tend to be sky high but i picked up a 24-105L for €800 at christmas.

This is pretty much what you'll pay an online uk retailer.

Told the guy I was on the way to Belfast to Calumet the next day and he let it go for that price.

Few months ago there was no way you could haggle.

I probably could have got it a bit cheaper online but feck all (HK excluded)

Question on Gunnes, next time someone swings by could you ask them their current price on a 5d mkii, they dont have a website do they?

Have seen prices are rising in the uk on japanese products, this was predicated and seems to be happening now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Just another example: couple of nights ago jessops were listing the 70-300 g (for those of you that dont know g is like 'l' in canon lenses)
    for 450 sterlin now retaling at 579. :-( one of the zeiss primes also jumped by 250 sterling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

nikon 105mm macro has gone up from £489 to £550! Argh! Won't be buying it now!

B@st@rds!
    Jessops increased the price by £44.00 since yesterday. Both Jessops and Calumet (Belfast) don't guarantee having the lense in a fortnight - "the Canon cannot cope with big demand..." - MBS (marketing bull$iht). I know, I was telling the same to our customers.

So, they are not selling that lense and they keep on increasing the price on daily basis. Recession my ar$$e! I want to give them my money and they don't want it.

Could I ask you for your recommendation what to do next? I really need the lense on the 27th in the morning (I am attending seminar).

OK, I had a tea.
    If you could send me a PM with recommendation of (ex-)fleabay shop, I would appreciate that a lot. Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

soccerc wrote: »
    Indeed, the D3 I got in Calumet for £2459 is now £2969 - Am I glad I bought when I did at the cusp of the exchange rate high and low sterling price

i'm only getting into DSLRs now and was thinking of buying a 450d + lens kit from Calumet uk that was working out at around €440 delivered with the exchange rate and canon cash back but foolishly didnt!
    Now the cash back is gone (+€50), the exchange rate is worse (+10%) and calumet put the price up by £50. :(

I was also in one of the camera shop around grafton st and overheard one of the assistants answering the phone saying they were out of stock of what ever gear the person was looking for and that it would be more expensive when they got it in again cause Canon and Nikon have put up their prices by 15% due to the value of sterling.
    They put it down to the japs selling their cameras in sterling. is this true?

So, any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

DotOrg wrote: »
    Canon 5D mark II camera batteries are now in stock in most of the city centre camera shops, so I popped into Conns Cameras to ask the price, helpful staff member told me, €79.99

That's not massively more than some of the online sellers but then I dropped around to Gunnes on Wexford Street. They were selling the exact same battery for €46.00

Just one more reason to use shops like Gunnes

Anybody know if these batteries in Gunnes are genuine Canon? Seems very reasonable for the real thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

yes, i said exact same battery, they only stock genuine products direct from Canon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Yes, that's the idea!:) Just buy it. Stop thinking about, stick your hand in your pocket and part with the cash. Your labouring the decision too much. You won't be disappointed I'm told. (At least this is what I am trying to convince myself of):)

Both Conns and Jessops in Belfast say that they don't have the lense (24-70/2.8L USM) and they cannot insure delivery time from Canon. And they keep increasing prices.
    I have received an e-mail from Canon (UK) that there are no issues reported with delayed shipments of that specific lense to any of their resellers.

It looks like cartel behaviour.

I have ordered it on-line. They don't get my money ever more!

Ordered on Saturday, confirmed on Sunday, shipped from HK to Paris through Philipines on Monday, from Paris to Ireland on Tuesday and delivered to Tallaght on Wednesday morning. Cheaper than from UK shop. And faster. And they had in on stock.

I have completely forgotten how heavy it is. And I have found out that my camera bag become too small.

Ideo wrote: »
    nikon 105mm macro has gone up from £489 to £550! Argh! Won't be buying it now!

I’m gonna resurrect an old thread FYI, the Nikon 105mm is now £615 on Calumet. Just wondering, does anybody know why the lenses have gone up so massively in price? I mean a £125 increase in price, wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think Canon and Nikon have (or will) increased prices recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Ideo wrote: »
    I’m gonna resurrect an old thread FYI, the Nikon 105mm is now £615 on Calumet. Just wondering, does anybody know why the lenses have gone up so massively in price? I mean a £125 increase in price, wow!

Been a few threads about the price increases. Happened twice since the new year

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    Been a few threads about the price increases. Happened twice since the new year

yeah just googled the price increases there. ridiculous price increases (30% in some cases) if you ask me, but what can you do about it other than put up!

Advertisement