Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usenet provider for 30-40gb?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:37am

I'm currently with APN on their 12gb for €2.95 package just to test out usenet. I like it and was wondering if there another provider offering 30-40gb (my Eircom download limit) a month for a low price? I found a link to Hitnews in a search here and they seem cheap and good...any others? Remember all I need is around 30gb a month....cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Giganews, 35GB for $12.99 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

+1 for GigaNews.

Diamond

* Our Most Popular Plan
    * Unlimited Monthly Bandwidth Allowance
    * 256-bit SSL Encryption included +10 Bonus Connections
    * Total of 20 Simultaneous Connections
    * 240 Days Binary Retention

jor el wrote: »
    Giganews, 35GB for $12.99 a month.

Expensive though. Giganews are the best I know, but I was hoping for something a little cheaper say around €5 a month for 30gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Why why why would you bother with such expense?

Block accounts - astraweb just can't be beaten.

Now growing to 270 days AND they have this offer to, although I wouldn't make best use of it, the 120Gb block is just perfect....

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

Why why why would you bother with such expense?

Block accounts - astraweb just can't be beaten.

That's a good idea...never looked at them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I am with astraweb...............really suits me as i dont download at all some months and others I hammer it.

+1

+1 Astraweb, i use unlimited DSL with 20MB UPC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Been thinking of changing to Astraweb
    Another cheap option I found is http://www.xlned.com never used them, but you can get access for as little as 2.21 euro a month

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am using usenet-news.net

They have blocks too as well as recurring charges.

Happy enough with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I'm currently with APN on their 12gb for €2.95 package just to test out usenet. I like it and was wondering if there another provider offering 30-40gb (my Eircom download limit) a month for a low price? I found a link to Hitnews in a search here and they seem cheap and good...any others? Remember all I need is around 30gb a month....cheers

astraweb > giganews

but rapidshare > usenet

trust me

• Advertisement

but rapidshare > usenet

trust me

lol is that a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I used this lot, 200 days retention. Once off payments. You also get a licensed copy of NewsRover with it.

*Non renewing once off payment*

'Block Account'

50 GB Block - 20 Connections
    $14.95 - £7.80
    200 Days
    SSL Encrypted

http://newsgroupdirect.com

(the last time I used them, I payed the US dollar amount)

---

Here's the page with a full list of what they have available, very flexible bunch, quick email response too.

http://newsgroupdirect.com/signup/

---

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Amalgam wrote: »
    I used this lot, 200 days retention. Once off payments. You also get a licensed copy of NewsRover with it.

*Non renewing once off payment*

'Block Account'

50 GB Block - 20 Connections
    $14.95 - £7.80
    200 Days
    SSL Encrypted

http://newsgroupdirect.com

(the last time I used them, I payed the US dollar amount)

I'm not a troll, I don't work for any usenet company, but that still doesn't seem like a great deal.

Astraweb:
    120GB for $25
    Connections - 20 Simultaneous Connections
    SSL Enabled - SSL Available now on ALL accounts. No extra charges.
    270 Days (growing upto this at the moment)

Use Alt.Binz as your free news reader and you are *laughing* :)

So far, my completion on Astraweb has been amazing. Just a very very happy customer.

I'm not a troll, I don't work for any usenet company, but that still doesn't seem like a great deal.

I just thought I'd list it as I'd actually used them. Astraweb, the 270 days retention is impressive. I'm off to have a sniff at their website now..

Amalgam wrote: »
    I just thought I'd list it as I'd actually used them. Astraweb, the 270 days retention is impressive. I'm off to have a sniff at their website now..

its not quite 270 yet, but when i does it will be immense.

Forgot to ask, do any of the block accounts allow uploading, or is it just access?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Standard accounts
    download unlimited 24 hours a day

Speed Connections 1 Month € 3 Months € 6 Months € 1 Year € 2 Years €
    2.5 mbit 2 2,95 8,45 15,95 26,95 49,95
    5 mbit 4 4,95 13,95 26,95* 44,95 84,95
    10 mbit 8 5,95 16,95 31,95 53,95 99,95
    20 mbit 8 6,95 17,95 34,95 67,95 114,95
    30 mbit 8 7,50* 18,50* 36,00 69,00 120,00
    40 mbit 12 7,95 21,50 42,50 84,95* 169,95
    60 mbit 12 14,95 42,95 84,95 167,95 334,95
    120 mbit 12 16,95 48,95 96,95 189,95 379,95

Yes Hitnews seem to offer great value. Only thing is they're Dutch and they're supposed to have stopped taking international customers.

I emailed them to ask and they said the only way to know is to try to sign up and see. But I'm waiting till something comes out I want to download first so I can check their speeds etc

cisk wrote: »
    lol is that a joke.

have you ever had a RS premium account?

I have one, but you cant really compare a private server to protocol like Usenet.

It was there before sites like rapidshare and will be there long after.

• Advertisement

I signed up for a 3 day premium account for €4.50 and it was crap. Even with a premium account there's a limit on how much you can download per day. I think it was 2.5gb or around that. Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly are you using these accounts for. Online backup? Pron Storage? Enterprise download service?

Its like Torrents on Speed :cool:

I have one, but you cant really compare a private server to protocol like Usenet.

It was there before sites like rapidshare and will be there long after.

Why does any of that ^ matter? Its not as if we're signing up for life

I signed up for a 3 day premium account for €4.50 and it was crap. Even with a premium account there's a limit on how much you can download per day. I think it was 2.5gb or around that. Rubbish

You can convert download more than 2.5gb per day if you know how. Other than that its easily better than usenet. There aren't many ISPs in Ireland that will let you download more than 2.5gb per day.

Like Vaznan said even on premium they have a daily limit.

And another reason i would much prefer NGs is the SSL encryption, and no deletion of content.

Even RS i only get speeds of 700kb/s per file, were on NGs i max out 2.1MBps

Like Vaznan said even on premium they have a daily limit.

And another reason i would much prefer NGs is the SSL encryption, and no deletion of content.

Even RS i only get speeds of 700kb/s per file, were on NGs i max out 2.1MBps

You think stuff stays on usenet forever?

Theres more content on RS and its easier to find. For me its perfect cos i only really download 400mb tv eps, or 700/1400mb movies
    I could see RS being a pain if you wanted to download HD content and games on a regular basis though

You think stuff stays on usenet forever?

Theres more content on RS and its easier to find. For me its perfect cos i only really download 400mb tv eps, or 700/1400mb movies
    I could see RS being a pain if you wanted to download HD content and games on a regular basis though

See thats where were different, i use NGs to get MKVs, HD WMVs and xbox 360 ISOs.

I found stuff hard to find on RS compared to NZB sites like Newzbin, but maybe thats cause i never really looked aroung . :)

See thats where were different, i use NGs to get MKVs, HD WMVs and xbox 360 ISOs.

I found stuff hard to find on RS compared to NZB sites like Newzbin, but maybe thats cause i never really looked aroung . :)

Stuff is easy to find on RS ;)

• Advertisement

Stuff is easy to find on RS ;)

Whats the best site/method?

Advertisement