Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Kind Of Monster; Repeats On More 4 Tonight at 10pm

• 13-01-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Some Kind of Monster is being re screened tonight, on More 4, if anyone who has the channel would be interested to watch something other than Friends or Celebrity Big Brother.

Great documentary, if for nothing else, its comedy moments. There were so many times in this documentary I found myself asking why they couldn't just solve these problems with their therapist without the cameras. If the band breakup, I expect someone to say in several years that it was all scripted and fake, because they didn't even manage to get a good album out of it!

Having said that, I feel really sorry for Jason Newsted, he was really put through the wars for 15 years and his exit was cruel and unfair. Perhaps they could ask him to come back with them when they get inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame in several years, since I doubt Mustaine will get an invitation, and from what he says on this film...he will prob want to kill James Hetfield.

I dont think this film has helped James Hetfield, I still think the man is a TWAT, even if he is a world class musician.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i think it made lars worse than anyone.

now theres a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I liked the part where they were auditioning the various bass players.

It definitely didn't paint Lars or James in much of a good light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I love that film, terrible soundtrack though. Funnily enough I thought Lars came across as the most reasonable and grounded out of all of them. It's depressing seeing how far some of the people responsible for Master Of Puppets have fallen, how disinterested in music they have become, but as a film it's compulsive viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Big brother isn't a patch on this reality show wreck!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

After seeing this I was convinced they could never make another album again, therefore I was relieved Death Magnetic wasn't too bad. It spainful to watch a band die like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Devious wrote: »
    After seeing this I was convinced they could never make another album again, therefore I was relieved Death Magnetic wasn't too bad. It spainful to watch a band die like that.

You were nearly right, the album that did come next is hardly worth talking about.

I don't think they've died just yet. Metallica's glory days are long over but Death Magnetic, while not a classic, proves there's some life in the old dogs yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Any film that could make Dave Mustaine out to be a Saint like this one did could only serve to expose James and Lars as the twats they really were/are.

Still, it's a decent enough documentary that serves for light entertainment. Some whos who of bassists who auditioned to be Newsteads replacement though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Still, it's a decent enough documentary that serves for light entertainment. Some whos who of bassists who auditioned to be Newsteads replacement though.

Twiggy ex of Marilyn Manson wasnt really the May West though was he? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Spinal Tap 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Rockee wrote: »
    Twiggy ex of Marilyn Manson wasnt really the May West though was he? :P

A few of them were off, to be honest. Chris Wyse's audition wasn't great either, and hes actually quite a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I loved this when I first saw it. Everyone seemed to be moaning at the time about their image of Hetfield as the hardman of rock being shattered but I loved the honest and depressing brutality of both his and Lars flaws.

I thought it was a brave film for them to release as it doesnt paint them in a particularly good light at all. Lars always comes across as a tool so no change there, but Hetfield comes across as a near broken man, while Hammet comes across as a emotionally uninvolved(band wise) hired hand.

I loved all the early Metallica stuff and even enjoyed the latest release. I hated St Anger but I just loved this film and found myself surprisngly liking Hetfield even more and even having a bit of time for Lars!

Oh and it couldnt be further away from Spinal Tap imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i really enjoyed that movie. it was cringe inducing at times but enthralling also to watch one of the biggest arena acts of the 90's reduced to bickering and a complete dis-interest in music. hetfield is a hero of mine and i always had him on a pedestal and to see him in that way was disturbing to say the least. i'll admit i used to laugh at people who said they were alcoholics,how hard can it be not to have a drink? i gained a new-found respect for people who've dealt with it after that film so for that alone it was great in my eyes. hetfield now seems to have a gleam in his eye,looks like he's loving doing what he loves doing best.

like everything metallica do they aren't afraid of what people will think of them. they could easily have left all that footage locked in a vault and we'd be none the wiser but they through it out there and were ridiculed for it by a lot of people but i'm glad i got to see a different side of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

just watchin it now. never a huge fan of the band to be honest

thoughts so far..........

James is a dick. Redneck hillbilly dick
    Mustaine is a pussy. Man up mustaine and get over it
    Lars actually makes some sense, never thought i would say that
    Kirk looks like the kid whose folks are in the middle of a divorce

good viewing though

ok james just back from rehab now..........later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

frag420 wrote: »
    just watchin it now. never a huge fan of the band to be honest

thoughts so far..........

James is a dick. Redneck hillbilly dick
    Mustaine is a pussy. Man up mustaine and get over it
    Lars actually makes some sense, never thought i would say that
    Kirk looks like the kid whose folks are in the middle of a divorce

good viewing though

ok james just back from rehab now..........later

yep, that sums it up, although i think hetfield came out the far side a better person.....but not a better artist.

Jesus that music and those lyrics - totally juvenile rubish. Bob Rock wtf get out of the band you prick.
    Hetfield goes shooting bears in Russia on his sons first birthday?
    Jesus these guys are worse than I remember.
    Newsted is the only one of these guys I respect he totally saw this mess coming down the tracks, hilarious when Lars and Kirk went backstage to meet him after his gig and he was gone home.
    And Mustaine is a pussy. Get over it bitch!
    How very far the mighty have fallen, drugs drink whatever they had their problems but that doesn't excuse the music they have produced since. They just made the stuff up on the spot and said yeah that works now les all write some lyrics ok that fits off we go.
    Lars' father wasn't buying it - you could see it in his face and Lars knew that it was rubbish too but still released it. Lars out burst to James about "this is a rock n roll band ,**** all the rules"etc. said it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Hilarious stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Ahhh the Rockumentary that made me stop listening to Metallica....

Newsted was the only sane person in that band and I am pretty sure
    Hammett is gonna come out of the closet one of these days...

Feelgood wrote: »
    Ahhh the Rockumentary that made me stop listening to Metallica....

Newsted was the only sane person in that band and I am pretty sure
    Hammett is gonna come out of the closet one of these days...

Either him or his shirt collection will!

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Some whos who of bassists who auditioned to be Newsteads replacement though.
    They were very judicious with the footage they showed in the interests of the drama unfolding. Yeah, Geordie White was playing the wrong frets, but Scott Reeder is a good player, he's not as bad as he sounded. As if by magic when Trujillo plays it all sounds beefier and together :D

I gave Anthrax's excellent We've Come For You All another spin last night, released around the same time as stanger. It shows just how little a role the actual music plays in big scheme of things. Metallica's undeniable turd has sold, what, about 5 million copies now all on the strength of the brand name, whereas the vastly superior musical experience probably sold 20 times less.

Death Magetic, to my ears at least, bears a lot of the hallmarks of stanger. The riffs that don't quite sit together, the weak drumming which doesn't quite work over a lot of the riffs, especially the fast beat over slow riff thing he seems to want to do a lot, the clueless arrangements, it's sad to see how out of touch they are with just general musical sense. I wonder does James still only rock out between 12pm and 4pm :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Doctor J wrote: »
    Geordie White was playing the wrong frets, but Scott Reeder is a good player, he's not as bad as he sounded. As if by magic when Trujillo plays it all sounds beefier and together :D

Its amazing that this happened. Another prime example is when Lars meets Dave Mustaine and there is obviously some kind of camera emotion, although later Mustaine denyed the meeting took place in that way and was heavily edited...in any case, Mustaine asks the most important question "where is the one person who needs to be here?" because, to be honest, without James the entire process was just useless as he was the one who caused Mustaine the most grief as far as Mustaine was concerned.

• Advertisement

less.

Death Magetic, to my ears at least, bears a lot of the hallmarks of stanger. The riffs that don't quite sit together, the weak drumming which doesn't quite work over a lot of the riffs, especially the fast beat over slow riff thing he seems to want to do a lot, the clueless arrangements, it's sad to see how out of touch they are with just general musical sense. I wonder does James still only rock out between 12pm and 4pm :p

It's thrash by numbers nothing more or less, the few tracks I've heard remind me of half a dozen mildly entertaining bands from the late 80's where you would buy the album and listen to it 2 or 3 times and leave it aside.

Another prime example is when Lars meets Dave Mustaine and there is obviously some kind of camera emotion, although later Mustaine denyed the meeting took place in that way and was heavily edited...in any case, Mustaine asks the most important question "where is the one person who needs to be here?" because, to be honest, without James the entire process was just useless as he was the one who caused Mustaine the most grief as far as Mustaine was concerned.
    There's more of that meeting on the second disc of the DVD. It doesn't make any of them look any better but it's worth seeing nonetheless.

There's more of that meeting on the second disc of the DVD. It doesn't make any of them look any better but it's worth seeing nonetheless.

I know, I have seen the bonus footage, the only part of which I liked was when the band included that live performance of "Frantic" in Paris or some small club...bad song, but the atmosphere in that venue must have been incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

just found this on the net. im sure some of you have seen it before.

i wonder if its all true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAPHM_TPmI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

skom was alright, but because of this thread I stuck on 'volume 8: the threat is real' for the first time in ages, great stuff altogether.

judas101 wrote: »
    i wonder if its all true

He is claiming that in 1986 on the back of their most successful album ever, and a mainstream hit for a relatively unknown and young metal band at that time, that they would fire their co founder and drummer after the completion of a European tour and then recruit a replacement?

Add this to the fact that it was Lars who helped find the money for the band to record Ride the Lightning and used studios in Denmark to do this and I would personally call this bull****! Whether you like Lars or not, I dont believe Metallica would work without him, and the same is said for James.

Having said that, perhaps Cliff wanted to fire Lars, and thats where he got this idea...Mustaine that is...and James would have rather backed Cliff than Lars in those days.

James and Lars are, in a manner of speaking, Metallica...even if Kirk and Rob do contribute to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

judas101 wrote: »
    just found this on the net. im sure some of you have seen it before.

i wonder if its all true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAPHM_TPmI

Mustaine grasping at straws....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Lars's Dad FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Its amazing that this happened. Another prime example is when Lars meets Dave Mustaine and there is obviously some kind of camera emotion, although later Mustaine denyed the meeting took place in that way and was heavily edited...in any case, Mustaine asks the most important question "where is the one person who needs to be here?" because, to be honest, without James the entire process was just useless as he was the one who caused Mustaine the most grief as far as Mustaine was concerned.

i'm nearly positive mustaine said that was filmed the day or two after 9/11 and the emotion and trauma got to him hence his demeanor on camera!!

i kid you not:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement