Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car must haves

Options
  • 13-01-2009 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am buying my first car soon enough. just a small car so I can teach myself how to drive nice and easy. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get cheap car essentials e.g.: Jack, seat covers, wiper blades, alloys, mats, cleaning equipment... stuff like that.
    I know lidl and aldi do deals the odd time but is there anywhere else?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you're buying your first car then once it's in reasonable nick you shouldn't need to go spending lots of loot on stuff like this.

If you really want to though, I'm sure Limerick-man or Ninety9er can advise of the best places in Limerick for bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Most car accessory shops will have what you need but here’s few essentials you should have anyway. Try Tesco's/Dunnes sometimes they have a few bitz for cars, polish,windscreen cleaner etc..

1) Small First Aid Kit, you can get a few plasters, scissors, etc and stick them in a small plastic box

2) Torch is always handy

3) Spare Bulbs for lights

4) A Tabard(reflective bib), handy to have if you need to change a wheel, vital to be seen…

Best of luck with the car :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Thanks. Online shops are fine too if they're cheap. I was thinkin of gettin a pair of second hand alloy wheels for cheap enough too. d you know where i'd get that?

I'll try dunnes and tesco for the other stuff thanks. I didn't think they'd sell car stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

TheLoc wrote: »
    Hi all, I am buying my first car soon enough. just a small car so I can teach myself how to drive nice and easy. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get cheap car essentials
    For the essentials (jack, wipers, bulbs, parts etc.) i go to Limerick Brakes (near st John's Square).

For the accessories (seat covers, alloys, mats, cleaning equipment), I don't think anybody can beat Halfords for variety.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would pick up what you can in aldi this week. The jack is as good as you can get. Wiper blades probably the same price as Limerick brakes. They don't have it now, but keep an eye out in Aldi and Lidl for bulb sets, come with fuses etc. Same for axel stands.

DD motor factors down by the market is pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

the car you are buying now should have a jack in it. if not get them to knock the price of one of for ya.

as for the rest local motor factors could sort out the rest for at reasonably cheap prices.....as for alloys. i would learn how to drive before you scuff up a nce set of alloys.

when learning to drive scrape the **** out of hub caps and then treat yourself to a set when you pass.

not saying that you wont damage alloys when you pass.... i know i have.

best of luck anyway... nothing like your own car and the freedom which driving brings

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

+1 on Limerick brakes.

Don't buy anything like wiper blades and all that inside Halfords, as they are the middle man as such. Crazy prices.
    Halfords can be useful for little bits, polish pads and all that. If you have no bucket for washing the car, BandQ do a great bucket for about €1.50. Just inside the door on the left.

The name of the place is gone from me now, Auto something. Anywho, again it's something similar to Limerick breaks. If you take the entrance to the East way business park (Behind Lyons of Limerick), take your first left, it's the very first shop on the right there. They have loads of cleaning bits, parts, body panels etc. etc. etc. in there at good prices.

Another one is Planet Auto next to Superquinn or out in the Jetland. They have all your cleaning bits, mats, wheels etc. as well.

What kind of car are you buying? Generally people don't keep there first car very long, so if this is the case for yourself (and there are a good set of tyres on the car), there is no need for spending money on alloys. You won't be able to relax trying to avoid scratching them (although this can make for good practise for future wheels.) A friend of mine for a set of alloys with good tyre's in Bob Sweeneys breakers yard (Auto Towing ltd.) in CastleConnel for €70, so this could be one option for wheels for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

That sounds good Limerick man. very helpful.
    The car i'm getting is just a little toyota starlet diesel. I'm only learning to drive so a small car does me fine. i'm no boy racer type but i'd like to keep it clean and be able to sell it on next year instead of selling it for absolutely nothing. thats why i'm thinking some cheap alloys might keep it's price kind of level (it looks like a nuns car so it might be a bit more appealing). €70 would do the job alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

+1 on Limerick brakes.

Don't buy anything like wiper blades and all that inside Halfords, .

Why is that? You know a cheaper place than halfords, cos i wanted to buy those Bosch wipers

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

I've found that most motor factors are actually cheaper than halfords for wipers, The Bosch ones that is. anything else i dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I always keep oil and a bottle of water in my boot, and in my car i keep spare bulbs and window wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Why is that? You know a cheaper place than halfords, cos i wanted to buy those Bosch wipers

I worked for Autozone in Eastway business park. Dont be put off by the motor factors effect of it. If they do not have it upstairs they will have it the next day so long as you order it by 3pm.

The sell Valeo wipers. Unfortunately for me my wipers are Audi dealer only. Drats. €60 a pair.

Good guys and do good deals on JVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The car i'm getting is just a little toyota starlet diesel.

You sure? Only thought they made them in 1.3 petrol.

Get recovery from the AA, Hibernian or whatever insurer you have. Even if you are amply qualified to change the gearbox in the car, you won't be doing it on the dock road at 11 o clock on a sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

One of these. Very handy if you have to change a wheel.

One of these. Very handy if you have to change a wheel.

+1 but you can get better than them ones, iv one with a joint in it so you never have to take out the bar when the handle gets to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Vain wrote: »
    +1 but you can get better than them ones, iv one with a joint in it so you never have to take out the bar when the handle gets to the ground.

Can you remember where you got it and rough price? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Suprised no ones mentioned jump leads, i have a set in my car at all times along with a mini compressor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Hi all, I am buying my first car soon enough. just a small car so I can teach myself how to drive nice and easy. I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get cheap car essentials e.g.: Jack, seat covers, wiper blades, alloys, mats, cleaning equipment... stuff like that.

Cheers

the usual spanner set, petrol/diesel, starter pack, AA on speed dail...

everything you'll ever need but

a big hammer, nothing it cant fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

S.I.R wrote: »

I've a flat tyre, how do i fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

call out a puntcher repair company, smack the fella, get free repairs ??

unortidox methods for freebies. :pac:

• Advertisement

I've a flat tyre, how do i fix it.

If you hit the tire at a fast speed this will cause friction and heat the tire and will make the air expand making the tire inflate duh:D

Can you remember where you got it and rough price? Thanks.

Sorry no i got it off a friend. I say any car parts shop sell them. Doubt it would cost more than thirty euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote: »
    You sure? Only thought they made them in 1.3 petrol.

Jap import Starlet came in 1.5 litre diesel afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

MarkR wrote: »
    I would pick up what you can in aldi this week. The jack is as good as you can get. Wiper blades probably the same price as Limerick brakes. They don't have it now, but keep an eye out in Aldi and Lidl for bulb sets, come with fuses etc. Same for axel stands.

DD motor factors down by the market is pretty good too.

Thats a feckin trolley jack, the OP won't need one of those!
    If you want a jack for occasional use which you will always have in the boot of the car then a trolley jack is not a great choice as they are usually fairly heavy and since it has wheels its probably not going to be stable on uneven surfaces, which is no good when you get a puncture at the side of the road.
    They are ideal for keeping in your garage for work at home.

Your car probably already has a jack, if you find it hard to use then try and get a scissor jack. like This

Just buy things which will help with a puncture, everyone gets one eventually. A torch and a pair of really cheap warm gloves plus an old coat will make things much easier on a rain sodden night in the arse end of nowhere when you get a fast puncture.. I've been there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

S.I.R wrote: »
    Actually, in second year panel-beating they introduce you to subtleties of the medium sized hammer and finally a small hammer for the really professional finish... It's a real pain though, when you graduate to apprentice mechanic, they make you hand them all back and buy a socket set and screwdrivers..:D

(I'm kidding dude, no offence)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Cheers

Well to start off the car should come with a jack, seat covers are a waste of time and look stupid, wiper blades in any motor factors, aftermarket alloys look stupid and chav especially on a basic first car, mats and cleaners any motor factors or halfords.

One bit of advise is dont wast money on stupid things like alloys, seat covers, big exhausts, body mods etc they will all just make the car harder to sell at a later stage, people like cars to be original.

Good Luck with the car

Advertisement