Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be careful on your bike...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

But that's bad driving, you shouldn't be speeding off a roundabout and the car behind you shouldn't be forcing you to drive faster.

The car behind me isn't my concern, what's infront of me is, within reason.

Its not about speeding off the roundabout, the pedestrian crossing is simply too close to the exit off the roundabout. You literally turn the corner off the dock road and straight away, there's a crossing. You also do not know if there is a car stopped letting a pedestrian cross until you are almost bumper to bumper. As you can imagine, this is extremely dangerous for both drivers & pedestrians alike and it has nothing to do with driving skill. Its just bad planning, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

In France they don't even bother with pedestrian lights, cars just stop for pedestrians anyhow.

Sorry but I call bull on this one.

French people dont stop for anyone. Even walking across a pedestrian crossing they will try to run you down.
    Pedestrians are never given right of way over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its not about speeding off the roundabout, the pedestrian crossing is simply too close to the exit off the roundabout. You literally turn the corner off the dock road and straight away, there's a crossing. You also do not know if there is a car stopped letting a pedestrian cross until you are almost bumper to bumper. As you can imagine, this is extremely dangerous for both drivers & pedestrians alike and it has nothing to do with driving skill. Its just bad planning, end of story.

Basic driving skill is observation - looking ahead. From the Dock Road as you drive up to the junction you can easily look up to the exit and see if there is stationary traffic or pedestrians. Anyone incapable of looking less than hundred yards ahead of thier current road position isn't safe behind a wheel.

The Castletroy roundabout is slightly different as you don't have the same level of viability But you shouldn't be going so fast around and off the roundabout that you can't slow / stop to allow pedestrians cross. If you are you are driving too fast, end of story. In particular because because regular users of that roundabout know the crossing is there and should be taking extra care because of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Jumpy wrote: »
    Sorry but I call bull on this one.

French people dont stop for anyone. Even walking across a pedestrian crossing they will try to run you down.
    Pedestrians are never given right of way over there.

My year living in France taught me differently, but I can't speak for every pedestrian and every pedestrian crossing in France, sorry if I gave that impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Pshan

DarkJager wrote: »

Do these cars not have break lights? It's fairly simple, look ahead, view mirrors, be aware of what's happening, travel at a speed that allows you STOP, be prepared, etc, etc, etc.

No matter how far the crossing is from the roundabout there's the possibility of cars filling the space back onto the roundabout, what happens then? Does everyone crash into the back of the last car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

@ sparkysrovers do you wear a visi vest?
    Its dark out there these days

LB
    'the hell does that mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

'the hell does that mean?

Its a fairly simple question (do you wear a visi vest)

Edit > My apologies I meant to direct this question at the original poster

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its a fairly simple question (do you wear a visi vest)

Edit > My apologies I meant to direct this question at the original poster

LB

No worries, didnt think i would need a hi-vis jacket while driving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

No worries, didnt think i would need a hi-vis jacket while driving :D

It wouldnt do any good in a car but i think all cyclists should have to wear them as learner motorcyclists do.

LB

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I cycled from UL to Caherdavin this evening in my black O'Neil's and black jacket *evil laugh*

Seriously though, the bike lanes between Rhebogue and the college are excellent, there's little traffic on the Rhebogue Road and the cycle lane along the canal into town is well-lit now, so it's a fairly safe route (even in the dark!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

File, as a frequent driver on the Condell Road, I'm interested in the cyclist's perceptions of the new "improvements" being made currently.

Have you cycled this road since the "improvements" and what sort of safety rating would you give it?

As a driver, I find the new narrow two-lane plus double cycle lane plus bus lane intimidating, and I can't really see how a cyclist would feel safe on this road....

Regarding the Mount Kenneth Roundabout... I agree about the danger of the proximity of the pedo crossing to the corner. Its inane. If you're coming down the hill, you have two choices - you either wait in line patiently until Christmas to get out, or you rapidly accelerate swerving to avoid the other rapid accelerators and then, regardless of how good or alert you are, you come across people crossing without due regard for the traffic. Its far too close. I often do this route several times a day and its always a menace. The pedo crossing should be further in the bridge to stop the build up on the roundabout.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    File, as a frequent driver on the Condell Road, I'm interested in the cyclist's perceptions of the new "improvements" being made currently.

Have you cycled this road since the "improvements" and what sort of safety rating would you give it?

As a driver, I find the new narrow two-lane plus double cycle lane plus bus lane intimidating, and I can't really see how a cyclist would feel safe on this road....

I used the cycle lane on the way out of town from the Mount Kenneth Roundabout as far as the Greenhills Hotel a few days ago, and it was a dream. Did the route in about 13 minutes (usually takes 30 minutes to drive into town at rush-hour on the same road). The only fault I could find was that the track is the same colour as the road, it should really have been coated in red by now.

Going into town is so much better than it used to be, especially around the pedestrian crossing near Barrington's Pier. The road sign positioning was atrocious for a while, cyclists would have to slalom between the signs, in the mud, before the roadworks were done.

I don't feel intimidated by passing traffic, but that's down to experience really.

I fully endorse this product and/or service :)

An File wrote: »
    I used the cycle lane on the way out of town from the Mount Kenneth Roundabout as far as the Greenhills Hotel a few days ago, and it was a dream. Did the route in about 13 minutes (usually takes 30 minutes to drive into town at rush-hour on the same road). The only fault I could find was that the track is the same colour as the road, it should really have been coated in red by now.

Going into town is so much better than it used to be, especially around the pedestrian crossing near Barrington's Pier. The road sign positioning was atrocious for a while, cyclists would have to slalom between the signs, in the mud, before the roadworks were done.

I don't feel intimidated by passing traffic, but that's down to experience really.

I fully endorse this product and/or service :)

Thanks. Good to get your perspective on it.

Here's hoping too, that the pedo crossings at the Salesians/NCR intersection will be manageable too. I can't see yet whether they will be the traffic lights that were promised several years ago or whether they'll just be another pedo crossing.

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    Thanks. Good to get your perspective on it.

Here's hoping too, that the pedo crossings at the Salesians/NCR intersection will be manageable too. I can't see yet whether they will be the traffic lights that were promised several years ago or whether they'll just be another pedo crossing.

Are you deliberately spelling it that way?
    On the internet, that means something very different from an abbreviation of pedestrian! ;)

An File wrote: »
    Are you deliberately spelling it that way?
    On the internet, that means something very different from an abbreviation of pedestrian! ;)

Apologies. Middleaged and not entirely au fait with netspeak!!

Thanks for the gentle correction. ;o)

Hehe I just had a good laugh at that, I didnt actually notice it until An File pointed it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

I have to thoroughly agree about the pedestrian crossings at the jurys roundabout just off the Dock road - I would love to have been in the very meeting where one member of the councils planning board put his hand up and said "I think we should put pedestrian crossings around 3 metres off one of Limericks busiest roundabouts, so people can cross the road safely" :rolleyes:

I mean FFS, what are these muppets getting paid for?!?! The amount of near misses I have seen on my daily commute are unreal!

As people have pointed out, there are flashing lights (good observation there!) so there is no reason not to stop in time - in theory thats true, but in reality it couldnt be further from it!

You head for the Condell Road at 8.30 in the morning, monday to friday, and see how 'practical' it is to wait until the bridge is clear of traffic before you can 'slowly' accelerate to proceed over the bridge. People will 'not' blow you out of it, people will 'not' rev their engines at you, people will 'not' hurl abuse at you when they pass for delaying the traffic, and you will 'not' get sideswiped by an oncoming car for proceeding slowly. :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no problem in letting pedestrians cross, but only when it is safe to do so. Strolling out in front of me as I'm accelerating out of a roundabout or as I'm driving at 40/50kmph will get you killed. I cannot physically stop in time without endangering other people in either of the previous mentioned situations.

So please, keep the 'dirty looks' to yourself, and for god sake say thanks (lifting a hand goes a long way), it doesnt cost anything to be nice believe it or not! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

There are many threads on this forum dealing with bad road design by our publicly paid road engineers. Some examples from memory include;
    Ballysimon road traffic lights
    Dock road traffic lights

A thread dealing with bad road design alone would have many posts

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I spoke to Limerick County Council about the light sequence on the Ballysimon Flyover and the very next day there were guys in hi vis vests working on these lights. The system does work, shame the junction does not work.

I think everybody will have issues with road design.

My biggest gripe is Finnegans roundabout. Whilst they were building the bigger roundabout there were signs telling people coming from Newport to go around the roundabout in the inner orbital lane which IS and WAS incorrect use of a roundabout. To this day some people still use the inner orbital lane and get angry/road rage and shocked that Im driving along next to them on the outer orbital lane(correct lane). Some try to force their way in and thriumpantly fail and others accept their fate and go all the way around again and exit in the correct lane.

Berty wrote: »
    I spoke to Limerick County Council about the light sequence on the Ballysimon Flyover and the very next day there were guys in hi vis vests working on these lights. The system does work, shame the junction does not work.

I think everybody will have issues with road design.

My biggest gripe is Finnegans roundabout. Whilst they were building the bigger roundabout there were signs telling people coming from Newport to go around the roundabout in the inner orbital lane which IS and WAS incorrect use of a roundabout. To this day some people still use the inner orbital lane and get angry/road rage and shocked that Im driving along next to them on the outer orbital lane(correct lane). Some try to force their way in and thriumpantly fail and others accept their fate and go all the way around again and exit in the correct lane.

Do you mean if you are going to Dublin, Cork or Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jumpy wrote: »
    Do you mean if you are going to Dublin, Cork or Limerick?

Sorry.

Your coming from Newport and heading in to Limerick towards Annacotty.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

just before the quarry road was closed off there were new markings in the lead up to finnegans roundabout from newport,,the outside lane was to turn left only and the inner lane to come into limerick/dublin but since they opend the road again those markings are gone,,

Berty wrote: »
    Sorry.

Your coming from Newport and heading in to Limerick towards Annacotty.

Ah ok, no argument from me there then. Its the straight exit on the sign. Outer lane it is. But you shouldnt drive beside anyone, if they were coming from Annacotty and exiting onto the cork road they need to cross your lane, if you are sitting in their blind spot they could easily not see you and side swipe your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

concussion wrote: »
    Cyclists on footpaths are a danger to pedestrians.

Cyclists on the road are a danger to themselves most of the time, staying out and interfering with the flow of traffic. And before someone comes back with the "blah, blah, cyclists have the right to use the road too, bs", by this I mean the following: Because your moving so slowly, cars will try to dive past quickly, the more cautious drivers won't pass you which frustrates everyone behind them and makes them even more anxious to get past you quickly. Its just human nature.

How many times have you seen people cycling on the Castletroy side of Parkway on the two lanes, when there is a perfectly good cycling lane on one side, albeit not a very long one.

Even from the parkway, you wouldn't be a genius to work out that cycling in one lane of a two lane road, where cars are going 40MPH at least, its not a smart thing to do.

I mean, when your on your bike a cyclist should ask themselves this: would you stand that far out from the curb and feel safe? No? Well then you shouldn't be cycling out that far either, because whether your moving at 10mph or standing stationary is irrelevant, if a car hits you, your fcuked.

I don't understand cyclists who think they are cars on roundabouts either - taking up the middle of a lane. If you don't think its safe to walk on a roundabout, don't cycle it. Its completely dangerous. Just hop off the bike and cross safely like a pedestrian. Most people don't even know how to drive on a roundabout (how the hell do you think its ok to be in the left lane with your right indicator on, on a two lane roundabout? do people even think?), but thats another rant in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Cyclists on the road are a danger to themselves most of the time, staying out and interfering with the flow of traffic. And before someone comes back with the "blah, blah, cyclists have the right to use the road too, bs", by this I mean the following: Because your moving so slowly, cars will try to dive past quickly, the more cautious drivers won't pass you which frustrates everyone behind them and makes them even more anxious to get past you quickly. Its just human nature.

How many times have you seen people cycling on the Castletroy side of Parkway on the two lanes, when there is a perfectly good cycling lane on one side, albeit not a very long one.

Even from the parkway, you wouldn't be a genius to work out that cycling in one lane of a two lane road, where cars are going 40MPH at least, its not a smart thing to do.

I mean, when your on your bike a cyclist should ask themselves this: would you stand that far out from the curb and feel safe? No? Well then you shouldn't be cycling out that far either, because whether your moving at 10mph or standing stationary is irrelevant, if a car hits you, your fcuked.

I don't understand cyclists who think they are cars on roundabouts either - taking up the middle of a lane. If you don't think its safe to walk on a roundabout, don't cycle it. Its completely dangerous. Just hop off the bike and cross safely like a pedestrian. Most people don't even know how to drive on a roundabout (how the hell do you think its ok to be in the left lane with your right indicator on, on a two lane roundabout? do people even think?), but thats another rant in itself.

How about I cycle at whatever speed I want, where I am legally obliged to cycle (ie on the road) - if that's too upsetting for you you can always walk and you won't be forced to 'dive past' (I don't know whether you mean to overtake dangerously or if you've simply mis-spelled 'drive') cyclists. Neither will you get caught in a traffic jam behind them.

concussion wrote: »
    How about I cycle at whatever speed I want, where I am legally obliged to cycle (ie on the road) - if that's too upsetting for you you can always walk and you won't be forced to 'dive past' (I don't know whether you mean to overtake dangerously or if you've simply mis-spelled 'drive') cyclists. Neither will you get caught in a traffic jam behind them.

+1
    Cyclists are perfectly entitled to use the road, and to use whatever lane is appropriate for their route. Just because drivers are not competent to deal with that does not mean cyclists should hop off and walk. Nobody has ever suggested a driver should walk his car around a roundabout, have they? :rolleyes:

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

You are either trolling or very ignorant. Either way prepared to be flamed into next year.

What you are obviously unaware of is that cyclists are considered a vehicle on the road whereas pedestrians are a single entity that is allowed to cross it.

cul-2008 wrote: »
    I have to thoroughly agree about the pedestrian crossings at the jurys roundabout just off the Dock road - I would love to have been in the very meeting where one member of the councils planning board put his hand up and said "I think we should put pedestrian crossings around 3 metres off one of Limericks busiest roundabouts, so people can cross the road safely" :rolleyes:

I mean FFS, what are these muppets getting paid for?!?! The amount of near misses I have seen on my daily commute are unreal!

As people have pointed out, there are flashing lights (good observation there!) so there is no reason not to stop in time - in theory thats true, but in reality it couldnt be further from it!

You head for the Condell Road at 8.30 in the morning, monday to friday, and see how 'practical' it is to wait until the bridge is clear of traffic before you can 'slowly' accelerate to proceed over the bridge. People will 'not' blow you out of it, people will 'not' rev their engines at you, people will 'not' hurl abuse at you when they pass for delaying the traffic, and you will 'not' get sideswiped by an oncoming car for proceeding slowly. :rolleyes:

I have absolutely no problem in letting pedestrians cross, but only when it is safe to do so. Strolling out in front of me as I'm accelerating out of a roundabout or as I'm driving at 40/50kmph will get you killed. I cannot physically stop in time without endangering other people in either of the previous mentioned situations.

So please, keep the 'dirty looks' to yourself, and for god sake say thanks (lifting a hand goes a long way), it doesnt cost anything to be nice believe it or not! :rolleyes:

On the Shannon Bridge yesterday (I think it was at about 9.55 or so, I was on it quite a few times) I saw one car OVERTAKING another car on the Pedestrian Crossing... Started the Maneuver - Activity- whatever as the pair of them came off the roundabout.

Thankfully there were no pedestrians around at the time. Because of the positioning of this crossing, visability is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

Yep - I wear a visi-vest.
    Also, a front flashing white light, a rear flashing red-light on the bike, another rear-flashing (sounds slightly dodgy...!) red light on my rucksack, a reflective arm-band and reflective trouser clips.
    I'm basically a cycling xmas tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparkman

So which is safer?

A) Put the zebra crossing close to the roundabout where drivers are supposed to be driving at a pace where they can easily stop but are
    unfortunately driving too fast approaching, while they're on or when they're leaving the roundabout so this is too dangerous.

B) Put the zebra crossing away from the roundabout where drivers are either happily driving along at a nice comfortable speed-limit + 20% or have just left the roundabout so are accelarating like maniacs?

Advertisement