Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The ObamaMobile!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

That's just an Abrahams tank with some black fiberglass stuck on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I seriously doubt it has 8" armour because if it had that it wouldn't be able to run on just 4 wheels. It would be seriously overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Ferris wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it has 8" armour because if it had that it wouldn't be able to run on just 4 wheels. It would be seriously overkill.

I suppose it depends what the armour is made from. i find it hard to believe they built it for £300,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

That said, it's never getting anywhere particularly fast, as it has a 0-60mph time of 15 seconds and 8mpg fuel consumption, so at the equivalent of about £300,000 it probably provides the worst price-to-performance ratio of any car ever.

:eek:

Id say with all the armour it weighs more than most trucks!

maidhc wrote: »
    I suppose it depends what the armour is made from. i find it hard to believe they built it for £300,000.

Its probably a composite armour alright but considering 4mm armoured steel will stop kalashnikov bullets (lead core, for steel core you'll need 5mm) 8inches seems to be a bit much. They could've used kevlar too for resistance against RPG's but its useless against bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

No spinning rims?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

cadillac-one_01.jpg

unklerosco wrote: »
    cadillac-one_01.jpg

The leader of the free word drives a diesel :eek:, e92 will do his nut!

Otherwise it seems good value for 300k, i'd imagine cadillac did him a good deal however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Ferris wrote: »
    Perhaps there is 8" between outer and inner skin, with this that and the other in between. As you say, 8" plate would be totally unrealistic.

Bit of a minger though. I suppose they had no option but to buy American.

Edit: Driver's window opens for paying tolls. I nearly LOLed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It's supposed to weight 2.6 tonnes, which is impossible if it has everything it says it has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I reckon he should've gone for the Octavia. They've a massive boot......gets coat and leaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Chauffer: Trained by CIA to cope in the most demanding of driving conditions".

I wonder does the training cover parallel parking the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Stark wrote: »

I wonder does the training cover parallel parking the thing.

Dont be silly.

The CIA define "the most demanding of driving conditions" to be

a) corners
    b) "traffic islands" i.e. roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Diesel engine... does that mean he won't be welcome in California? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

at the equivalent of about £300,000 it probably provides the worst price-to-performance ratio of any car ever.

:eek:
    Should've sold his old car private. I'd say you'd get it for £290k straight cash.

*Also gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What a fugly front end.

Brian Cowen wont even drive his Merc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Berty wrote: »
    What a fugly front end...

That struck me aswell, fine automobile but pig ugly front on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Wow, that is hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Berty wrote: »
    What a fugly front end.

Brian Cowen wont even drive his Merc. :D

He definitely got a lot more for his money than Brian Cowan did! :D

I'd say if they try to cut civil service pay, Brian will be wishing he spent the extra 150k ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

We should get a fleet of these to ferry our precious ministers around, imagine what would happen to our economy if anything happened to john Gormley or brian cowen:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Stark wrote: »

Would love to know what demanding conditions are. I doubt that car will ever go above 40mph. Its not like he will need to go across deserts or offroad.

Will it need its own transport plane for foreign trips? Probably need its own oil tanker behind also at 8mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

McSpud wrote: »
    Will it need its own transport plane for foreign trips? Probably need its own oil tanker behind also at 8mpg.

As far as I know on foreign trips they bring two of these, one is a backup/decoy.

In fact all 37 vehicles in the presidential motorcade are flown in by Air force C141's on foreign trips.

Good description of the motorcade in wired.
    http://www.wired.com/culture/culturereviews/magazine/16-09/pl_motor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_State_Car_(United_States)

http://people.howstuffworks.com/air-force-one.htm

Interesting and slightly off topic but Airforce one has a missile defense system.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Window only opens 3" so driver can pay tolls! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Furp wrote: »
    Interesting and slightly off topic but Airforce one has a missile defense system.

Also off topic but it's only known as Airforce 1 when the president is on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

When I saw the title I thought it was something to do with the "Radio Obama" bus that passed me yesterday in our industrial estate.

I thought I was seeing things, but everyone else in the office saw it too. No idea what the hell it was advertising, but it was a good job by the local graphics crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Its one of the ugliest cars i've ever seen.
    If i was given one, id crash it into things a few times to test the safety, then sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

would a petrol engine even be able to handle that kind of weight? the gearing would have to be fairly good I'd imagine to get enough torque to carry that lump around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Funny looking at the secret service guys running alongside it, they would be more likely to get hit from a bullet richocheting off the car then ever having to take a bullet for the president.

Advertisement