Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funtasia Closing?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi guys

anyone heard that funtasia amusements in bettystown is closing?

my friends son told her - must have heard it in a playground or something!

anyone know if any truth in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Good riddance, if it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

yeah, Hopefullly it's true. What a dump!

It's a pity we can't a have a decent theme park in this country. I'm not talking about Disneyworld standard, but just something that has more than slot machines, greasy chips, run down bumper cars and surly teenage staff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Mr Locksmith

Second that

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Fingers crossed it does.Was in it last week and it was dead except for the few toss pots selling their DOPE ! Even the summer months has died. It attracted a lot of vermin. On the other hand , a lot of the aul dears who sit & throw e50 after e50 will have to travel to Drogheda to do their gambling.BYE BYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i havnt been there in such a long time. pity its gone so bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Ah it's not that bad. The games are a bit of a rip off. But you know what they actually do a surprisingly good carvery in there. Altough not as good as it was when it first opened. I think the original chef left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ah it's not that bad. The games are a bit of a rip off. But you know what they actually do a surprisingly good carvery in there. Altough not as good as it was when it first opened. I think the original chef left.

Second that totally.... we went there one sunday when it first opened and the food was fantastic!

But, on returning about 6 months ago to have another bite to eat, it was very, very bad! - complete waste of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Keep us updated on any info regarding this place closing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

im not just sayin this but mosney in its day was a super spot, good location (ok well relatively decent location) things to do, cenima, slots, swimming, pubs, restaraunts, skate rinks, crazygolf, computerCentre, fun park with bumpers and the like.

as i guess we all mite be holidaying at home in the next few years and especially those with familys, i reely cant see why some of these irish entrpenures dont stick a few euros into doin it up, i know that they got a deal from the government a few years back for those who are refugees but that wasnt indefinatly was it?,

and i hope that wouldnt give the place any stigma as it is a fine location and with times as they are i think it would make a great idea for a state of the art holiday centre, the challets ovbiously would have to be re-done cause they are awfull as anyone who stayed ther will know.

anyway im just waffling, funtasia to me never felt like fun, too close to the main road, not the safest location for young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

padz wrote: »
    im not just sayin this but mosney in its day was a super spot, good location (ok well relatively decent location) things to do, cenima, slots, swimming, pubs, restaraunts, skate rinks, crazygolf, computerCentre, fun park with bumpers and the like.

It was a great spot.... I've a trophy with Beauty Queen 1979 on it!! So I remember it with great fondness - staying with my mum, my nana, my sister and my great aunty ... oh the innocent days...:)

I cannot see it going back to the way it was, they would have no where to put those seeking refuge ... as far as I know it is still quite full. There was 'talk' of the owners turning it into apartment/housing complex - great location beside the coast .. not sure where thats at now in the 'current climate'...

Back on-topic... there was (sorry to use the same word!) 'talk' early last year of Funtasia Bettystown being revamped and expanded (they own land alongside)... personally, I'm not a fan of the one in Bettystown.... I cannot see it closing it still rakes in money especially at the weekends and in the summer months.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

The amusement/slide place before Funtasia was better than whats there now. I remember in the summer they used to do a €5 armband and you got on all rides for an hour or 2 with it. Whats there now is only suitable for younger kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 balbrigganseye

Was in there yesterday . Popped in as I was passing. Place was very quiet and certain sections were very shabby - pool tables especially. Dread to think what the running costs of such a business is(ESB alone). PS What happened the pub next door , seems like there was a shoot out there or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Was in there yesterday . Popped in as I was passing. Place was very quiet and certain sections were very shabby - pool tables especially. Dread to think what the running costs of such a business is(ESB alone). PS What happened the pub next door , seems like there was a shoot out there or something.

Ha ha ha no not quite a shoot out....it was BURNT OUT a few months ago, burnt out by a fire not deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

That place is not closing. Pop your head into the slot machine room the next time your in there. That alone would pay the bills. Its a great facility for the area. Places like that will always attract all walks of life. Having managed a place like that some years back its very difficult to hand pick your customers especially if things are tight. They do have alot of activities other than arcade games and bowling.
    They have a 3 lane self service car wash in the car park which can be handy at times.

I don't think its Funtasia that attracts the wrong crowd so to speak but more so its a case that its a seaside town and it goes with the territory in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 alscrxangels

Thank God it's closing down. The place makes Limerick look upmarket. I think the boom time hit that like everything else and they got greedy. More blow-ins = more money. Took all the money from the place and are going to let it run into the ground through financial disrepair. They'll fiddle some money from somwhere before it does and then it'll go wallop. Nothing left in the place then except a run down pub across from a run down amusement place. Oh ye and how can I forget - hundreds of negitive equity houses.

I just hope it finds its old charm quickly and has a good clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

I checked this out, see the Sunday Business Post, this firm is very secure and looks like its going to expand in Bettystown....You cannot blame the entreprenuers.....if its legal they are entitled to sell their wares.....always felt that slot machines should be outlawed and poker machines......Gambling is addictive.....but for some reason the slots and poker machines seem to me to be the very pits of the addiction....brain numbing stuff....but Funtasia does offer pool and kids adventures.....bowling......I hope it stays..but the government outlaw slots and poker machines and all Machine gambling...

Advertisement