Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newish upgrade !

Options
  • 13-01-2009 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

hello !

about 4 months ago i upgraded my PC to windows xp 64bit, an asus p5nli motherboard, 6 gigs of corsair ram, a 250 gb sata hard drive and duo core 3ghz pentiums, with my exiisting 8600 gt 256 mb ram gfx card. It was quite a bold move at the time and cost alot of money, however many things have gone wrong and the system seems badly out of order.

So, apart from not being able to get online for months (had incorrect network card driver), as well as giving up on desktop and utilising my quite high spec laptop for games, the desktop just will not do what I want it to !

I scanned and upgraded all drivers, with several online analysis tools, however, still no luck.

I tried to install Farcry 2, crashes within 10 seconds of loading single player, also tried to install gears of war, and crashes at early stages of install ! I also tried to install some older games, like halflife and FEAR, but still no luck.

So, as usual with these things, I am guessing the hardware is ok, except I am not entirely sure about the Sata drive, as it is my first time using it. I also have left PC into local (big named) IT shop twice, yet problems persist - although they just run through the setup quickly infront of me, tell me it's fixed and send me packing again, of course too my frustration i go home, set it up again and the systems encounters problems within 5-10 mins.

I also have set the voltage on the corsair Ram to 2,2 volts, as this was another problem I encountered.

So, can anyone reccommend a good 64 bit systems scanner and driver updater online ? that can do a really good local analysis and I can try and see for myself what is wrong ?

I also get the impression my xp 64 bit is problematic, requiring separate drivers for 32 bit interfaces, but I am finding this alot more trouble than it is worth ! Should of maybe just stuck with xp 32 bit !

I also bought a radeon 4650 512mb gfx for the new upgrade, however not installed it yet, as I cannot play any games anyway, i think the 8600gt should be sufficient until I get things running smoothly.

Any tips welcome,

Cheers,

AJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

Are you overclocking the cpu and ram?

Maybe a fresh install will solve your issues and try to find all 64bit drivers for your hardware cause it sounds a bit like corrupted drivers but its hard to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭action jackson

no overclocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Those are both low spec graphics cards and won't run a game like far cry 2 at a decent speed.

If you are having trouble with 64bit.. just try picking up a cheap copy of 32bit XP and getting all the correct drivers for all the other bits.. then do a reinstall..

Just remember, no matter how super ultra amazing those bits are, the graphics card is very important for smooth gameplaying.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

jonny72 wrote: »
    Those are both low spec graphics cards and won't run a game like far cry 2 at a decent speed.

If you are having trouble with 64bit.. just try picking up a cheap copy of 32bit XP and getting all the correct drivers for all the other bits.. then do a reinstall..

Just remember, no matter how super ultra amazing those bits are, the graphics card is very important for smooth gameplaying.

The 4650 should have no issiues with Far Cry 2, it isn't a demanding game actually, I would go with your suggestion of trying the XP 32 Bit version, XP 64Bit doesn't have the best driver support, and is pritty much ignored by manufacturers now. Doesn't help its built upon a Server OS aswell possibly :o , If you want 64Bit Vista is fine and my Far Cry 2 and gears ran fine on it :D

Nick

i meant to say a sapphire 4850 radeon 512mb gddr3, although those aforementioned cards are still not bad !

reason for 64bit was, vista is pants and 64 bit os can handle 8gbs of ram, where as 32 bit OS can only handle 4gbs ram (or so i was lead to believe) - that is why i upgraded !

now it looks like i might have to humbly go back to 32 bit os or vista, however that means buying a another new licence ! gggrrrrr !

anyway, am not giving up just yet ! can anyone recommend any good 64bit driver/system scanners ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

reason for 64bit was, vista is pants and 64 bit os can handle 8gbs of ram,
    Actually, you are incorrect, its 64Bit Windows XP which is pants, as its not truely XP but actually built upon the Server 2003 OS which makes it possibly more problematic for drivers etc... Also it has now been practically ignored by most manufacturers so suffers from poor driver or compatibility problems are common. If you want 64Bit why not try Vista? At that amount of RAM Vista will fly along, alternatively downgrade to XP 32Bit and see if it fixes the issiue, and upgrade to 64Bit Windows 7 when it arrives

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

hello !

about 4 months ago i upgraded my PC to windows xp 64bit
    Well that's your problem. As others have said, xp64 is basically a glorified beta. Get a real os and you'll probably be fine.

well things have gone from bad to worse ! looks like the gfx card interface has packed in. no video signal to monitor - even with new card.

think might need new motherboard and might go for this windows 7 !

Advertisement