Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lip Piercing

Options
  • 13-01-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I've had a look around at the charter and guidlines and stuff and maybe i'm blind and I cant see anything on it but I'm looking for advice on a new lip piercing.

I got it done yesterday, its swollen a bit and I know thats normal, but on the inside of my mouth there seems to be a thin layer of clearish skin going over the flat back part of the bar, is this normal? Would it seem that my lip will swallow the bar?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

sounds like the bar is too short

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Your lip won't swallow the bar, unless its teeny tiny. I've had this happen to most of my lip piercings. The bar makes a li'l bed for itself in your lip at the start, and sometimes a teeny tiny layer of skin covers over it which usually disappears after 2/3 few days. If the layer is getting noticeably thicker, or you can't push the bar through it, you need to go see a piercer to get a longer bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

Ok so update...

Day 5:

The swelling had went away completley but the puss started oozing a little last night. I woke up this morning and the lip had completley swelled up again. There seems to be a hard ball around the area of the piercing and its bruised a little.

I went back to the body piercer and he said it looks normal for five days and that it might be a tiny bit infected. I had been doing the sea salt soaks with cold water and he said it would be better if i done them with hot water. He put in a slightly longer bar and said I should go back next week if i'm still not happy.

I was considering taking the bar out altogether and leave it close up but I was afraid that if there was an infection and the lip healed around it that the infection would be trapped and would spread. I've read a bit about it although me not being the expert I'm not really sure.

It was unbelievable sore when I was getting the bar changed (well I dont have a great tolerance for pain but after 7 piercings I thought it was sorer than any of them, although sore to me might be nothing to other people.)

Cleaned it when I came home, swelling is really noticable. The puss is no longer yellowish colour its totally transparent now and the longer bar had given me a small bit of relief. I walked past a building site on my way home yesterday and I'm sure that the wind blowing the dust around didnt help.

None of the rest of my piercings have really given me any trouble. Is there any extra advice or precautions that I should be taking here that anyone could reccomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When you're doing the salt soaks, you want to make the salt solution with sea salt added to boiling water, let that cool down till it's around body temp or there abouts and use it then. If you use cold water, there could be bacteria etc in the water. If you use hot water then it'll burn you and isn't good for the healing piercing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

What's your cleaning regime? in detail if possible please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

Updated the cleaning regime a little as of yesterday.

Was mixing 1/4 teaspoon of salt to about half pint of water (not heated) swishing it around my mouth and spitting, repeating a few times.

Then using a cotton bud gently clean around the outside ith warm water and 1/4 teaspoon of seasalt.

But after a chat to another shop owner from devon, I am now soaking the piercing for 4-6 minutes in a mug of warm-slightly hot seasalt and water mix. 1/4 teaspoon to a mug of water. Filling it to the top and letting my lip rest in it.

It seems to be drawing all the goo and puss out. The swelling is nearly completley gone and the area around the piercing which felt like a hard knot has now softened.

Am i doing it right this time around? I've been told to do it so many different ways.

I trust my body piercer as he has the best rep in cork and he's done all my piercings bar my ears which I had done when I was like 10, he suggested something called arnica for the swelling and slight bruising and after looking at my lip he said it looks pretty normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

Warm water and get yourself non-alcholic mouthwash,
    really really helps... Trust me ;)

Advertisement