Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf: referral of problem by CMod

Options
  • 13-01-2009 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

I have reported this post to a Mod (copacetic) and a CMod (ruggiebear) but neither will take action on this poster who is breaking forum rules. Ruggiebear recommended reporting it here for resolution.

No warning has been given to Hobart despite the post below being reported several times

Hobart is

a. getting around the swear filter
    and
    b. including a signature that abused another person

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...5456436&page=6

"totally phucking agree ....

Go Ronaldo, no-one gives a s**t about you anymore you self-obssessed c**t. (Redcafe.net June 2008)

Lets get him out. He's rotten inside. (Talking about Ronaldo) (Redcafe.net July 2008)

I hope he'll regret everything he's done and said, very soon. At least Becks and Ruud showed some class in the media. (Busby Fanzine Aug 2008) "

Clearly this poster has got around the swear filter and is abusive towards another person and nothing has been done.

I am not looking to get Hobart banned - far from it, but Golf Mods need to action on their own rules.

Slumped

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Which forum rules is he breaking exactly?

There's no major issue with getting around the swear filter, provided that the content of the posts is OK.

His signature is (hopefully) an honest reproduction of what was said in those publications. If they were his words, then you could take umbrage. Though I'm surprised that the soccer mods put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

First one is personal abuse - which states

"Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post.
    - Attacks on public figures should have be based on actions and without swear words.
    'Harrington is a ******' for example is not a valid contribution. Similar posts will likely result in at least
    an infraction, possibly a ban for the poster"

Second is

"Flaming
    - Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited/deleted. Poster will be banned."

From http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=320620

Getting around the swear filter, which is there for a reason, is surely unacceptable too?

S

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not a personal attack on another user, so it doesn't qualify as flaming.

His sig is skirting a technicality where he hasn't actually made any attacks on any public figure, he is merely reproducing what was said somewhere else. Other mods are currently thinking about this and I imagine they'll contact Hobart when they've made a decision.

Also signatures aren't "contributions" to threads, so they're not really subject to the charter of the forum unless the sig is designed to inflame members of particular forums.

Getting around the swear filter, especially by using phonetic variations of the spelling, is not a problem and has been going on across boards.ie since the swear filter appeared.

Advertisement