Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel bans Arab parties from running in upcoming elections

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

turgon wrote: »
    The two parties banned are amongst the three biggest arab parties there, to answer Manic Moran. Apparently they were banned for supporting terrorism, I imagine its to do with the latest spate of violence. And so what? If theres a party in any state that is supporting rocket assaults on it, why should they not be banned?

If you don't believe in democracy and political freedom for people whose views you don't like then you don't believe in democracy and political freedom. I'd imagine the Arab parties are quite a bit more moderate than Hamas and probably have a problem with Israeli terrorism, rather than support Hamas rockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    thats exactly what I was saying Im sure they didnt make any accusations without evidence to back it up

You're sure but you've absolutely no evidence, references or knowledge of the subject. Astounding. Anybody can make accusations.

Imagine if certain other states carried out something similar. There'd be sanctions and the country would be isolated diplomatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

way to go on twisting words and half truths there.

Calling a spade a spade is all that I did.
    a party wont be banned for calling the state of Israel to be a state of al its citizens. a party will be banned that does not believe the state should exist imagine fine gael in ireland calling for the republic to be abolished and put under english control.

The text is very clear and it says what is says. You are simply ignoring the law in question.

You example is also not apt.

A more apt example would be, if Ireland passed a law saying Ireland was a white and democratic state and anyone who questioned its status, as a white and democratic state, would not be allowed to stand for election. Now if Fine Gael decided to stand up to such racism and say Ireland, should be a democracy for all its citizens regardless or race and got banned, then Ireland would not deserve to be called a democracy.
    its clearly stated in the decleration of independance about freedom of religion

Also, says something about being a Jewish state. Seems a tad contradictory. Also, banning people who dare say the state should be a state for everyone, also seems contradictory.
    it will foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions

Yeah, the picture on my TV from Gaza tell a different story. The Jewish only roads in the West Bank tell a different story. The colonies tell a different story. Seems that all those nice words, don't mean a whole lot in practice.

Still you completely ignore the law that was mentioned earlier. You don't address it at all, and instead talk about something else. The election law has nothing to do with all you mentioned above. What you say above, does not change that law at all.

Which does not change the law I was talking about. You decided to ignore the law altogether. All that stuff you mentioned doesn't matter, since the law exists.

If any party wants to make Israel a nation of all it citizens and not a Jewish state, they could be banned. You did not address this, instead you talk about something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

would that be this press tv by any chance?

I've presented much the same type of information from HRW, Amnesty, the UN and even the US state department.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

would that be this press tv by any chance?

from wiki
    Press TV is an English language international television news channel which is funded by the Iranian government, based in Tehran and broadcasts in English on a round-the-clock schedule. With 26 international correspondents and more than 400 staff around the world, its stated mission is to offer a different view of the world events
    mmm straight from the heart of hate to you tv Amejinidads view of the west.
    Yes the very channel,

"and would you belive IRISH RAIL they have reported only the truth on any report I have seen"

Imigine that Iranians able to tell it as it is,

could have somthing to do with the fact they are the only channels that have correspondents in Gaza,, and from Gaza

Thank God for Press TV and Aljazeera because if we were depending on the likes of Fox and a few other TV channels,
    we would not have a clue what the Israelis were getting up to and the murder that is being carried out by the IDF would be ten fold what is currently happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Boston wrote: »
    Its not the role of the UN to interfere with the internal political structure of a country. Its has no charter to impose democracy on the world.

Oh I'm aware of the role of the UN. I'm simply making the point, that when one ponders over why Israel does certain things, we must remain cognisant of the fact that it is a country that completely disregards the United Nations, the highest legal authority on the globe. This fact considered, one shouldn't be at all surprised when it does something trivial like banning Arab Political Parties from their countrys next general election. Something like that is really 'small potatoes' in the grand scheme of things.

We have neither freedom of speach nor information in this country.

can you be more specific ?? :confused:

During the troubles the state broadcaster was regularly censored

Irish democracy has come a long way since the 1970's & 80's, it's called a 'peace process'. Israel should give it a try.
    .....and lets not talk about what went on during "the emergency".

why ? what wen't on during 'the emergency'

Advertisement