Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angostura Bitters

Options
  • 13-01-2009 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Anybody know where I can by a bottle of Angostura Bitters in Ireland (Cork if possible). There is a cocktail I'm trying to make and it just doesn't taste the same without it. My local off license said they would have to buy it by the case and that I would propably be the only one to buy a bottle.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

murphym7 wrote: »
    Anybody know where I can by a bottle of Angostura Bitters in Ireland (Cork if possible). There is a cocktail I'm trying to make and it just doesn't taste the same without it. My local off license said they would have to buy it by the case and that I would propably be the only one to buy a bottle.

Try Bradley's on North Main St.
    or I think SuperValue in Merchant's Quay have it too.

What's the cocktail?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

harvest off licences in galway have it,

try online probably,

or jagermiester is a close enough substitute if your really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Try Bradley's on North Main St.
    or I think SuperValue in Merchant's Quay have it too.

What's the cocktail?

Thanks for that, I'll try over the weekend.

I'm trying my version of a Long Island Iced tea

(Served over ice)
    Absolut
    Bombay Saphire
    Bacardi
    Cointreau
    Angostura Bitters
    Coke

I've been using Jif Lemon up to now insated of the bitters!!! (I should be shot)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

isn't usually sours thats goes into a Long Island Iced Tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

isn't usually sours thats goes into a Long Island Iced Tea?

I think it is but when I was in Australia the local bar man used bitters and it was lush.

• Advertisement

ah cool, might try it myself!
    can't beat a long island....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Does anyone know where I might find it in either Dublin or Meath? Been looking around the off licenses recently but with no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

lmtduffy wrote: »
    harvest off licences in galway have it,

try online probably,

or jagermiester is a close enough substitute if your really stuck.

whoa that's a weeeeeeeeird substitue.. jagermesiter is really thick and sweet & bitters is well.. bitter.. :) I mean don't get me wrong, I'd put jagermeister in a lot of things (especially my mouth) but as a sub for the bitters.. not so sure on that one :)

Does anyone know where I might find it in either Dublin or Meath? Been looking around the off licenses recently but with no joy

Mortons in Ranelagh at the triangle sells angostura bitters alright, if you're in Dublin, got some there just before xmas.. that is one DEADLY offo, they have most things you would want in terms of cocktail making.. loads of the weird brandy/apple/peach/god knows what liquores (I know I spelt that wrong) for sweet fruit based mixes :) good mix of beers and everything else, wines and everything.. I was like a child in a sweet shop when I did my cocktails before xmas shop in there :) (expensive though)

ah cool, might try it myself!
    can't beat a long island....:D

There's no agnostura bitters in a long island iced tea - sometimes they put a drink called "Sour Mix" into it, which is a sort of sour lemonady thing - the only drink I can think off the top of my head with the bitters in it is called a "long vodka" (I think it might be on wiki).. I use the bitters in orange/fruit based mixes to take some of the sweetness out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have a bottle in the fridge.It's also great for stomach upsets .

It can be bought in the alcohol section of Tescos .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jim o doom wrote: »
    Mortons in Ranelagh at the triangle sells angostura bitters alright, if you're in Dublin, got some there just before xmas.. that is one DEADLY offo, they have most things you would want in terms of cocktail making.. loads of the weird brandy/apple/peach/god knows what liquores (I know I spelt that wrong) for sweet fruit based mixes :) good mix of beers and everything else, wines and everything
    Morton's is some distance from the triangle. Do you mean Redmond's by any chance?

BeerNut wrote: »
    Morton's is some distance from the triangle. Do you mean Redmond's by any chance?

ahhh yeah it's redmonds... damnit! thanks for pointing that out.. they have the bitters & just about nearly everything else under the sun you'll need.. even had lemons & limes at the counter.. only thing I couldn't find in there was the "sour mix" which is hard to find, but can be made by hand..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

No worries. It is indeed one of the best off licences in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

whoa that's a weeeeeeeeird substitue.. jagermesiter is really thick and sweet & bitters is well.. bitter.. :) I mean don't get me wrong, I'd put jagermeister in a lot of things (especially my mouth) but as a sub for the bitters.. not so sure on that one :)

I think jager falls under the classification of bitters,

and I wouldnt say the taste is that off, if were talking about angostura Id say there close enough.

You can also try a bit of Worcester sauce if your really stuck.

There's no agnostura bitters in a long island iced tea - sometimes they put a drink called "Sour Mix" into it, which is a sort of sour lemonady thing - the only drink I can think off the top of my head with the bitters in it is called a "long vodka" (I think it might be on wiki).. I use the bitters in orange/fruit based mixes to take some of the sweetness out of it!

Sour mix is pretty much lemon juice, sugar and small amount of egg white..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know where I could pick up some
    Angostura bitters in town at the moment?

Trond wrote: »
    Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know where I could pick up some
    Angostura bitters in town at the moment?

Mullingar town?

Mullingar town?

I do have a cousin there so possibly! :D

Forgot to say Dublin!

Trond wrote: »
    I do have a cousin there so possibly! :D

Forgot to say Dublin!

I'd say any good offie.
    Celtic Whiskey Shop, Redmonds, Mitchell's, Drink Store, Deveneys etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

OBriens to add to that list. Anywhere that sells spirits but supermarkets basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Do the above suggested offies also sell Orange or Walnut bitters? Saw this cocktail recipe and it looks great but can't remember seeing any other bitters apart from Angostura on sale in Dublin.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2014/12/fairytale-of-new-york/

Do the above suggested offies also sell Orange or Walnut bitters? Saw this cocktail recipe and it looks great but can't remember seeing any other bitters apart from Angostura on sale in Dublin.

Celtic Whisky Store have both Angostura and Orange bitters. Picked them up at lunchtime.

Haven't heard of walnut bitters previously...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Celtic Whiskey Shop has both. I wouldn't imagine many other places would.

Advertisement