Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientific Atlanta dpc 2003 Cable Modem query

• 13-01-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query, I have UPC, trying to setup my vmware with it, private IP etc,worked great with the netopia routers Eircom had, have done some work in tracking down specifications, looking into it etc, its looking like this type of cable modem works as a bridge and doesnt allow it..Would greatly appreciate any info on this...I am new to UPC in past week, and their technical support kept wanting to put me through to their premium support...If I could know 100% (anyone else tried it etc) that would be great....

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Just a quick query, I have UPC, trying to setup my vmware with it, private IP etc,worked great with the netopia routers Eircom had, have done some work in tracking down specifications, looking into it etc, its looking like this type of cable modem works as a bridge and doesnt allow it..Would greatly appreciate any info on this.......

I emphasise that I am no expert on this at all but given the lack of access and facilities with the UPC modem should you not be doing this sort of stuff to a router attached to the modem?

I am new to UPC in past week, and their technical support kept wanting to put me through to their premium support...If I could know 100% (anyone else tried it etc) that would be great....

Isn't this exactly what a lot of us predicted they would be trying to do?

I can understand them claiming that they might not support this level of activity ok but I fear how often they must divert people to this ''pay for suport'':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

dub45 wrote: »
    I emphasise that I am no expert on this at all but given the lack of access and facilities with the UPC modem should you not be doing this sort of stuff to a router attached to the modem?

Isn't this exactly what a lot of us predicted they would be trying to do?

I can understand them claiming that they might not support this level of activity ok but I fear how often they must divert people to this ''pay for suport'':rolleyes:

Thanks for the response, when i was changing over i was told that cable modem was one of the newer models, which could facilitate private IP..The gap between these "service desks" know and what the IT professional knows is widening IMO..
    I dont want to buy a router without knowing 100%..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Thanks for the response, when i was changing over i was told that cable modem was one of the newer models, which could facilitate private IP..The gap between these "service desks" know and what the IT professional knows is widening IMO..
    I dont want to buy a router without knowing 100%..

Well far be it from me to defend UPC or any isp but I do think that the level of expertise that many people expect from bb csrs is totally unrealistic.

The csrs are there to make sure that you get your bb connection and that's it anything beyond that is for boards!

Having said that I would be very very sceptical about UPC's 'charge for' service. Has anyone had any 'good' experience of it yet I wonder?

dub45 wrote: »
    Well far be it from me to defend UPC or any isp but I do think that the level of expertise that many people expect from bb csrs is totally unrealistic.

The csrs are there to make sure that you get your bb connection and that's it anything beyond that is for boards!

Having said that I would be very very sceptical about UPC's 'charge for' service. Has anyone had any 'good' experience of it yet I wonder?

Ure right, I should clarify that I called up UPC to see if I could see the other tabs on the cable modem page...Signal,Status, Provisioning,Advanced (cant see them at the moment)and they told me to call premium line, sorry for any wires being crossed..To get back to my query, will private IP work with cable modem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

To get back to my query, will private IP work with cable modem??
    Only with a seperate NAT router (and your eircom netopia box won't work). All your UPC cable modem does is bridge the public IP address to whatever is connected to it's Ethernet/USB port.

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    Only with a seperate NAT router (and your eircom netopia box won't work). All your UPC cable modem does is bridge the public IP address to whatever is connected to it's Ethernet/USB port.

Ah dammit :-) Thanks for the update....Much appreciated..What kind of setup would NAT router need with cable modem to work??? Thanks again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want access to the good stuff in the modem you'll need to go to the admin login page and change the access to level 3 using the username: admin and the password: w2402

you can change the access level here: http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

it will reset to the default level after you reboot the modem though, and possible.

EDIT: it doesn't really let you do anything though, it just gives you more information than the default access level.

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you want access to the good stuff in the modem you'll need to go to the admin login page and change the access to level 3 using the password: w2402

it will reset to the default level after you reboot the modem though, and possible.

EDIT: it doesn't really let you do anything though, it just gives you more information than the default access level.

Handy to know regardless , what user name is it looking for???

sorry, username is just admin. :)

corrected my previous post anyway for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Lads is anyone able to help me out here?

I have UPC 10MB and when i start d/l at full speed my TV reception goes. Especially on the low frequency channells such as BBC and C4.

Here are my cable modem stats if anyone is able to shed some light on them.

I rang UPC and they said they'd boost my signal but that didnt really work.

Name
    SA EPC2203

Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address

Hardware Version

Receive Power Level
    -10.8 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    58.2 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
    Operational

Vendor
    Scientific Atlanta - A Cisco Company

Boot Revision
    2.1.6lR7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

apeking wrote: »
    Lads is anyone able to help me out here?

I have UPC 10MB and when i start d/l at full speed my TV reception goes. Especially on the low frequency channells such as BBC and C4.

Here are my cable modem stats if anyone is able to shed some light on them.

I rang UPC and they said they'd boost my signal but that didnt really work.

Name
    SA EPC2203

Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address

Hardware Version

Receive Power Level
    -10.8 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    58.2 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
    Operational

Vendor
    Scientific Atlanta - A Cisco Company

Boot Revision
    2.1.6lR7

Your signal is low and your modem is transmitting high. Have you any DIY wiring or splits.

DingDong wrote: »
    Your signal is low and your modem is transmitting high. Have you any DIY wiring or splits.

Well the builder provided the cable up into the attic, and from there the main cable coming in has one of the ntl splitterss ( in , out , tap i think) and then that goes down to the sitting room by a cable provided by the builder. The other end of the splitter goes into a booster box for the rest of the tv's in the house.

connector is something like this

B400847-20070501020638.gif

From there there is a nother ntl spliter that sends one signal to cable modem and one to dvr box.

Is there anything i can do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

apeking wrote: »
    Well the builder provided the cable up into the attic, and from there the main cable coming in has one of the ntl splitterss ( in , out , tap i think) and then that goes down to the sitting room by a cable provided by the builder. The other end of the splitter goes into a booster box for the rest of the tv's in the house.

connector is something like this

B400847-20070501020638.gif

From there there is a nother ntl spliter that sends one signal to cable modem and one to dvr box.

Is there anything i can do?
    You could try put the 3/3 split (the type in the picture) in your attic put one leg feeding the amp/booster and the other feeding the point the modems on. Take the other type splitter(6/1 split) from the attic. From the outlet box feed the input into the in side of the split and the out to your modem while the tap side goes to the set top box. This won't improve the signal but will isolate the BB from the tv better. From what you describe the signal does still seem low and you will need a service call.

DingDong wrote: »
    You could try put the 3/3 split (the type in the picture) in your attic put one leg feeding the amp/booster and the other feeding the point the modems on. Take the other type splitter(6/1 split) from the attic. From the outlet box feed the input into the in side of the split and the out to your modem while the tap side goes to the set top box. This won't improve the signal but will isolate the BB from the tv better. From what you describe the signal does still seem low and you will need a service call.

Thanks Dingdong,

i will have to put a call in so.

I will try your suggestions when i get a chance tomor

if you want access to the good stuff in the modem you'll need to go to the admin login page and change the access to level 3 using the username: admin and the password: w2402

Hi , have tried the username and password, still can't access it, anything else there that could be a problem??Thanks again..

Hi , have tried the username and password, still can't access it, anything else there that could be a problem??Thanks again..Get unauthorized access error..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Hi , have tried the username and password, still can't access it, anything else there that could be a problem??Thanks again..Get unauthorized access error..

1. Click on the link http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp.
    2. You'll get a dialog box asking for user/pass - enter "admin" for user, "W2402" for pass.
    3. Hit OK, you'll then land at another page. On this page, set Access Level to 3, leave the username field BLANK, and enter "W2402" again for the password. Don't enter anything in the password field!!!
    4. Hit OK again, and it will let you into the full diagnostics menus of the modem.

It'll only let you in for about 10 minutes though, after which you'll need to go through the above process again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Can somebody with an experienced eye please have a look at the below info it is taken from my UPC Atlantic scientific modem.
    I have been having major speed problems , I am supposed to be on 15mb up and 1.5mb down fibre broadband , but I am never getting these speeds.

I usually get around 6mb down and 256kb up :mad:

UPC (as usual) find no fault , 4 techs have called out and changed splitters etc then split ( couldn't wait to get out in my opinion)

is there anything obvious ( problems) in the below table , personally i think it's down to line quality , but my uploads are dismal , might be a place to look first.

If I have hijacked I apoligise .

Name

*SA EPC2203
    Modem Serial Number

Cable Modem MAC Address

*00:1c:ea:ba:57:2d
    Hardware Version

Receive Power Level

*-2.7 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level

*41.0 dBmV
    Cable Modem Status

*Operational
    Vendor

*Scientific Atlanta - A Cisco Company
    Boot Revision

*2.1.6lR6

Firmware Name

*epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-080522c.bin
    Softwar

*epc2203-E10-5-v202r1262-080522c
    Downstream Status

*Operational
    Channel ID

Downstream Frequency

*426250000 Hz
    Modulation

*256QAM
    Bit Rate

*42884296 bits/sec
    Power Level

*-2.8 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio

*37.2 dBmV

Upstream Status

*Operational
    Channel ID

Upstream Frequency

*19600000 Hz
    Modulation

*QPSK
    Symbol Rate

*2560 Ksym/sec
    Power Level

*41.0 dBmV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 uzakcil

hi ,,,

i use Scientific Atlanta EPC 2203 modem ,and i wanna acces into it to reset my ip

can you help me ? have can i enter into modem or change ip ?

have you got an ip.bat ?
    my mail address is ;

antiochean@hotmail.com ,

thanks...

uzakcil wrote: »
    hi ,,,

i use Scientific Atlanta EPC 2203 modem ,and i wanna acces into it to reset my ip

can you help me ? have can i enter into modem or change ip ?

have you got an ip.bat ?
    my mail address is ;

antiochean@hotmail.com ,

thanks...
    it's generally frowned upon here to drag up a 6 month old thread for something trivial like this, if you have a problem you should start your own thread.

but to answer your question, you can't reset the modem by logging into it, there are no settings to change on them.

if you want to change your IP address then just unplug the modem for 5 minutes and then try again. if that doesn't work, then unplug it for 30 minutes.

there's no guarantees though, you might still get the same IP again when you reconnect.

you coul unplug it before you go to bed and then go to work the next day and leave it off the whole time until you come home again. if that doesn't do it then you might well be stuck with it till the lease on it runs out, which could be anything up to 6 months. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement