Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 265w - no cigarette holder power cable

Options
  • 13-01-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

I bought a Garmin 265w for my Mam as a present. Very surprised to see it arrived with a USB cable but no power cable to charge it in the car from the cigarette lighter port.

The battery lasts for up to 4 hours so if you're out driving for the day you will run out of power. I think that is not only the height of stinginess and a very poor customer first experience but I wonder how the device can be regarded as fit for purpose when sold in this way.

They probably charge crazy money for a cigarette adaptor power cable so I don't want to give that to them - are there any other companies that make cheaper versions or anything suitable on www.dealextreme.com?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Maybe not ideal. but you can pick up a cigarette lighter adapter, that has a usb port output. Then you can use the usb cable to power the Garmin.
    Have a look at this one as an example, but I'm sure if you shop around, you'll probably get a cheaper one.

http://tinyurl.com/9pf74c

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hmm. Try that out before you buy.

The Garmins seem to implement the usb cable wiring slightly different in that sometimes the "Make your own" adaptors are seen as data cables and will charge alright but set the garmin into pc-connected mode which is useless whilst driving.

I tried using a Motorola mini-usb charger and it didn't work for the reasons outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

parsi wrote: »
    Hmm. Try that out before you buy.

The Garmins seem to implement the usb cable wiring slightly different in that sometimes the "Make your own" adaptors are seen as data cables and will charge alright but set the garmin into pc-connected mode which is useless whilst driving.

I tried using a Motorola mini-usb charger and it didn't work for the reasons outlined above.

That's gas....so if that applies to all non-Garmin USB cigarette adaptors, it would seem not only have they shown extreme stinginess in not providing the adaptor that is pretty much essential for the intended use of the product, but they have also gone and stitched it up for a monopoly protecting the high price they charge for their properitary adaptor.

I was considering buying another Garmin for myself if this one works well but I won't give them any more money if the above is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

dunnes are selling universal cigarette lighter charger. you can change the tip to suit different devices. it comes with about 8 different adapters, for phones and i use it to charge my garmin too.

only about 12 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

There's something similiar next week in Lidl, includes an adaptor for Motorola phones which is mini usb (same as Garmin/Tomtom). I've no idea if this will work, but worth a try at only €5.99?

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090223.p.MobileChargerSet

• Advertisement
Advertisement