Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com rant

Options
  • 13-01-2009 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

I just got off the phone to play.com and i'm angry and need to rant, so i'm sorry but this is the best outlet.

I ordered a very late christmas present on christmas eve, but it was a voucher.... an electronic voucher that didn't rely on the normal constraints of space and time that bound snail mail.

It even asked me when would i like to receive it so i put in that date, christmas eve and continued.

I expected upon pressing submit that my Inbox would light up and i'd have this voucher ready to envelope-up and deliver the next day.
    Alas the inbox did light up but with a message telling me my order would be processed shortly.... well i thought, i'll probably get it in ten minutes then. But an hour went by and still no voucher.
    So i got worried, I went back to the site to see what i had done wrong and when i tried to go through the process again i got stopped and told that UK customers only could buy vouchers in Sterling. So i presumed i had missed this warning the last time and i probably wouldn't get my voucher.
    I headed off to cdwow and went through the process again only this time it was beautifully simple, my voucher was there within seconds.

On new years eve, my inbox lit up, a mail from play.com, now what could this be.... only a voucher for £60.... well i thought, not to worry i'll just cancel it and get my money back.

So i sent an email and left it at that.

But the address that sent me the voucher replied and said it was an unattended address, as is info@play.com, accounts@play.com and any others i tried in the meantime.

I then went to the website and saw their new help section... followed the instructions to return an item and when i got to the last step there was no button for me to press. So i look for a contact email address and the only one i can find is for the new site feedback so i mail them, no reply.

I get a spam mail from play in the meantime which tells me if i have any problems to mail info@play.com.... aha! I'm not making that mistake again!

So eventually i get on to them today on the phone... i am of the new generation who chooses email ahead of all other contact methods, and phone only as a last resort.

I get told they do not refund vouchers, i said well ok, in normal circumstances that would be fine. But here i ordered a voucher and it took 6 days to arrive even though i requested it on the same day. There is a half hour window to return the voucher but when i sent my email to cancel it it was bounced back to me, so how could i cancel it?

Surely once i explain all their mistakes and how hard it was for me to contact them they will be happy to go against their policy, but no. They say the best thing to do is to spend my voucher.

The rant was working, my anger had subsided until I wrote that last sentance and now its right back up there. THEY want me to SPEND my VOUCHER!! Goddammit. And so i must. But i must do it in a way that i both gain and they somehow are put to extra effort or something so that i can at least feel like they suffered.

Thanks, and does anyone have an opinion on how i can get my refund!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I noticed last week that play.com's euro prices are close to 30-40%
    above the exchange rate from sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

cros13 wrote: »

i've noticed that too, and it was mentioned on the Last Word recently also. Just stop buying from them, that's what I've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

use asda or sendit.com, all cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

cros13 wrote: »

Would it be of any benefit to purchase in sterling or will i just be back to square one when it all gets processed and converted through the card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Would it be of any benefit to purchase in sterling or will i just be back to square one when it all gets processed and converted through the card

They won't actually let you make a purchase in sterling,you have to switch to euro for the purchase to go through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

If I ever scratch a disc (DVD, CD, etc), I buy it new again from Play and [snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Big Wave wrote: »
    If I ever scratch a disc (DVD, CD, etc), I buy it new again from Play and [snip]

cheeky & bold but since they are screwing us with the exchange rate well done;)

Advertisement