Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burritos!

• 13-01-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got a good Burrito recipe? They seem to be hard to come by on the usual sites I check and every US recipe I look at includes a "can of Burrito sauce" or "packet of burrito seasoning", which to me defeats the purpose of cooking it yourself!

I was thinking along the lines of the following spices: cumin, cayenne pepper, ground ginger, chilli, paprika, garlic. Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

I use passatta (sieved tomoatoes) or a tin of chopped tomoatoes whizzed up in the blender as a base, add it to browned minced beef, throw in some sweet corn or kidney beans if you like, and then your main spices would be chilli, cumin and paprika but the ones you have listed sound nice! Wrap them up in heated tortillas with some grated cheese, salsa, lettuce and maybe some spiced rice- it's up to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Fletch123 wrote: »
    I use passatta (sieved tomoatoes) or a tin of chopped tomoatoes whizzed up in the blender as a base, add it to browned minced beef, throw in some sweet corn or kidney beans if you like, and then your main spices would be chilli, cumin and paprika but the ones you have listed sound nice! Wrap them up in heated tortillas with some grated cheese, salsa, lettuce and maybe some spiced rice- it's up to you!

Thanks - this is basically what I did. Ended up with more people coming for dinner than I initially thought, so made some nachos, guacamole and spanish rice to stretch it. The Burrito sauce was great in the end, if a little on the spicy side. But who doesn't need to give their sinuses a good clearing these days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I find refried bean to be a good partner to chilli,
    My recipe

1 can kidney beans, puree half.
    2 tbsp oil
    3" of finely chopped chorizo
    1 medium onion finely chopped.
    3 tbsp tomato puree double conc.
    100mls passata
    50g cheddar cheese

Sauté onions in oil until translucent, add chorizo and sweat till the colour starts to come out, add beans and puree and keep moving around the pan so they don't catch.
    Add the tomato passata when it starts to get dry -4mins or so.
    Just before serving grate the cheese into the bean mix and stir so it incorporates.

serve with nachos/tortillas/burritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ah yes, the refried bean! My sister swears by it, but I'm afraid I am not a fan of beans in general.

However, tonight I am starting my reformation with a cassoulet. Who knows? Refried beans may make it to the table on my next Mexican night! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Try either chipotle chillies or ancho chillies. The chipotle is a dried smoked jalapeno, they have a fantastic smokey flavour and a good kick of chilli. Ancho are big - almost like a a sweet pepper - also dried. They are almost black in colour - like an aubergine - and have a fruity almost prune like flavour along with tabacco/chocolate/liquorice flavour, they are much milder than jalapenoes. Soak either for 30 minutes in boiling water before adding to chilli sauces.

Advertisement