Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest missed opportunity?

• 13-01-2009 3:29pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was heading down the M2 yesterday morning, just as the sun was rising. I initially thought I was seeing things with a great photo op in the sky. The clouds had formed into the shape of two massive mountains with a misty cloud base around the bottom. The sun was then shining in such a way that it looked like it was reflecting off the sea at the bottom of the cloudbase, but was just more clouds in a ripple formation.

I know it sounds totally crazy, but if I had have had had my camera at the time it would have made a super picture, one which is obviously hard to describe.

So i'm just wondering if there has been any moments that you've felt the frustration of not having a camera to hand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

so, so so so often.

Mostly driving from glasgow to inverness and seeing amazing landscapes whizzing by. Of course, had i a camera, i wouldn't have been able to do them justice anyway so it's prolly best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Many more of these than what I would consider good shots of mine :o

Amazingly, a good few are still as vivid as photos hanging on my wall.

T

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

drinking for a night with the manics and after shoot the gig, left the camera in the safe in the venue... booo i still wake up in cold sweats, that happens alot at gigs... really need to invest in a p&s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Actually i just remembered this blog:

http://www.thephotographsnottaken.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I now find myself (as I do quite a bit of driving) seeing loads of oportunities to take pictures or composing a picture, but doh! camera is not in the car ! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭walter

it happened a lot for me as well...
    i have moved from SLR to rangefinder cos its easier for me to carry it around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

A few months ago I came home from work, having just taken delivery of my new sigma 70-300 that day. Was out the back garden getting used to it, when 2 planes flew over, A british Airways 737, and an aer lingus A320, so low you could read the aircraft reg's, in a holding pattern waiting to land at dublin airport.

I looked through the viewfinder and pointed up. Both aircraft perfectly framed, looked like they were about to collide. Would have made a great picture. Forgotten I had just turned to AF, and not being used to the lens, grabbed it to manual focus and zoomed right out to 70mm from about 210mm. This just as I pressed the shutter in. Cue the lens trying to autofocus, but getting confused because I was zooming. GRRRRR.

Worst part is most of the stories above, people didn't have cameras. I had one in my hand. With the required lens. And I still ballsed it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Actually, now that I think of it, I was driving home (late) last nite and the moon was out it all its glory for the 50min drive, cheekily waving at me ! so I composed a picture in my head at X location with 'friendly' moon....perfect!
    I then went in and grabbed my camera and got back into car.......but hold on a minute, wheres that 'friendly' white object in the sky gone !
    /utters many obsenities
    Got up early for work this mornin and there's the moon looking/laughing at me again !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

noblestee wrote: »
    A few months ago I came home from work, having just taken delivery of my new sigma 70-300 that day. Was out the back garden getting used to it, when 2 planes flew over, A british Airways 737, and an aer lingus A320, so low you could read the aircraft reg's, in a holding pattern waiting to land at dublin airport.

I looked through the viewfinder and pointed up. Both aircraft perfectly framed, looked like they were about to collide. Would have made a great picture. Forgotten I had just turned to AF, and not being used to the lens, grabbed it to manual focus and zoomed right out to 70mm from about 210mm. This just as I pressed the shutter in. Cue the lens trying to autofocus, but getting confused because I was zooming. GRRRRR.

Worst part is most of the stories above, people didn't have cameras. I had one in my hand. With the required lens. And I still ballsed it up.

I thought you were going to say you had no memory card, but what stopped you is even more frustrating as you had everything set up perfectly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

All the above is a good argument for getting a good compact camera or canon G10 type camera. I try to at least have the compact with me. But I don't bother bringing it on the cycle to work - as it's a canon ixus and not the most solid (I know from experience!)

Lastly, when I'm out and about with the slr I make sure I'm on f8, iso200, autofocus each time I shut down, just in case you need to shoot fast.
    And I have missed stuff when I forget to check this!

• Advertisement
Advertisement