Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag in Sligo

Options
  • 13-01-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm trying to pick a good location for my stag which I want to have in March/April. It will be a small-ish group of lads (probably around 10-15) who are from different parts of the country but mostly residing in Dublin. I want somewhere on the train line from Dublin and since I've been to stags in most other towns/cities in Ireland, somewhere that isn't a run-of-the-mill stag haunt.

With that Sligo has popped up as an option and I wanted to get your opinions.

a) What is the nightlife like in Sligo and (even though we won't be causing trouble) do stags have a problem getting around?
    b) Does the greyhound racing run every Fri & Sat?
    c) Any suggestions for cheap and cheerful accomodation that is central enough to train station & pubs?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Hi all,

I'm trying to pick a good location for my stag which I want to have in March/April. It will be a small-ish group of lads (probably around 10-15) who are from different parts of the country but mostly residing in Dublin. I want somewhere on the train line from Dublin and since I've been to stags in most other towns/cities in Ireland, somewhere that isn't a run-of-the-mill stag haunt.

a) What is the nightlife like in Sligo and (even though we won't be causing trouble) do stags have a problem getting around?
    c) Any suggestions for cheap and cheerful accomodation that is central enough to train station & pubs?

Thanks,

great nightlife at the weekend, you will enjoy the crack

no greyhound racing but there is lots of other things to do

try the tourist office + shop around...there are many hotels, b+b's and hostels around

• Registered Users Posts: 42 westcoastshuri

as an ex pat Dub living in Sligo let me tell you your going to have a great time .

Great town with great people

enjoy the stag

Dar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Hi all,

Thanks,

there is no dog track as far as I am aware. There may be some private training tracks so no BNG type tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Great town with great people

enjoy the stag

Dar

+1

for clubing, your better off on a satarday night, older crowd (compared to teenagers on thurs/fri night), one or two mores clubs open as well, might have a problem with the stag as well, few places wont let them in without proir arrangment, other sugestion would be to go in in twos or threes,

as for bars though, great choice most nights of the week, strandhill (15 minutes outside the town) also a good spot on the coast, surfing, a few good bars, golf, and airport minutes away

no dog track, but evening horse races in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yeah, why not book in for surfing for your stag? There are a few different surf schools in Sligo (Strandhill) and any of them would be glad to teach you as a group. There's also a hostel in Strandhill and some really nice pubs, and a beautiful golf course too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭toilet_ducks

Brilliant thanks everyone for the feedback. Yeah sorry I was looking into a few different places and now realise that Sligo doesn't have a dog track but thats fine.

Again thanks and looking forward to sampling Sligo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

The surfing in Strandhill is great craic altogether and in case your worried about getting about, since your thinking about coming by train, there is a local run around bus by bus Eireann that services Strandhill pretty well. It used to go well into the night too (I'm sure it still does but I don't know), so a few beers by the ocean isn't out of the question afterwards either. (Not that the price of a few taxis would cripple either)

If ye get a few cars down, I'd also recommend Lough Bo Clay pigeon Shooting. Great craic too.

DiscoverIreland.ie - Lough Bo Details

Sligo Town buses
    Sligo - Strandhill Bus
    Late Bus Info, mentions Sligo but no times. I'm sure a call would sort it out for you.

If you do decide to come, enjoy.

Thanks for the links Slavigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I helped a friend organise his Stag here last year.
    They all stayed in the hotel by the taxi rank (brain block someone help me out) so they had bar food on the Friday night there before going out and there was no trouble with a residents bar later on.
    On Saturday we organised a Clay Pigoen Shoot in Riverstown, out by lough Bo. The shooting crowd organised for a bus to pick up from the hotel and drop off after, it worked out at 30euro a head for the shoot but the same for the but 15 each way so it would have been better to get taxi's. (the same bunch were from Mayo and would have haggled a better price for the bus if they had realised the price)
    Saturday night was upstairs in Coach Lane followed by a split between the good drinkers going to Shoots to be shown a real pub in Sligo with the others going to Fiddlers then we all went to Fureys before heading the Velvet Room.

They had a great time and were all still on about it at the Wedding anyway so I didnt hear any complaints. The group on the Saturday night ws 30+ and no trouble in the nightclub.

Cheers Benny this is very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

the 'city hotel' what was the 'tower' hotel previously,
    well familar with the stag crowd....good spot for a stag
    nite...maybe not so good if your after a good kip.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 alottodo

I'm also heading to Sligo in August for a Stag's.

Does anyone know of anywhere you can go paintballing, go karting etc?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

No paintballing or Go-Karting in Sligo if I remember correctly. There is a place near leitrim village which offers paintballing. I don't have the link right now but I can get it.
    Go-Karting,you might need to go to Ballina for that but I'm not sure if it's still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

I organised a stag in Sligo a few years ago and I got terrible stick off the lads cause there are no lap dancing clubs in Sligo. Seriously, the lads weren't impressed!! The next stag I organised was in Hamburg......giggidy :pac:

Just because there is no lap dancing club in Sligo is hardly a reason not to come here for a stag.
    Most towns in Ireland that stag parties go to probably don't have lap dancing clubs but the party still have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

In-Door Karting, if that's any use to you. Just found out it online. It's in a place called Skreen. Have a great one.

http://www.citylocal.ie/business/208206/SligoIndoorKarting/

I thought that closed down around 5 years ago or so for insurance reasons unless it opened up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Just because there is no lap dancing club in Sligo is hardly a reason not to come here for a stag.
    Most towns in Ireland that stag parties go to probably don't have lap dancing clubs but the party still have a great time.

I agree with you to be fair. It's just that the group of lads that were on the stag I organised were particularly dirty. ;)

Sligo is a decent town to go on the batter. It's not exactly asthetically pleasing as places like Castle St. look a bit run down (or at least it was when I was there) but the architectural state of the town is not really high on the list of priorities for stag weekends I suppose.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I had my stag in Sligo and I organised my brothers.... Great spot for a stag and the surfing went down a storm everyone, even the non-sporty ones! This guy is great, best surf school, warmest wetsuits and will point you in the right direction for the whole weekend. Ask for Tom.

http://www.perfectdaysurfing.com/

Advertisement