Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Voyager

Options
  • 13-01-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I just love this show. I was looking at an episode the other day and was surprised to see that the show is nearly 10 years old.
    It's only lately that I've been able to watch a lot of the episodes as it's on tv at the moment.

One thing I'm confused about, in the last double episode Chakotay and Seven are dating. I also remember seeing the Episode where Seven was experimenting with the hologram Chakotay on the Holodeck. I just can't remember any episode in between where Chakotay asked her out for the first time.

Where did I miss that or did it occur at all?

I know it's a bit of a silly question but it's been bugging me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

IIFC, they just got together all of a sudden without any reason. Stupid way to end her arc with the Doctor. Or maybe casual flings are still going strong in the 24th Century!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Have a look here and here, my memory is a little sketchy on voyager but I don't think you missed anything in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭jessbeth

Thanks folks, so it seems like I didn't miss anything after all.

I was watching the Episode last night when Harry fell in love with the Varro. I think it's one of the fifth season.

The episodes are on Virgin1 at the moment if anybody likes it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

opposite for me, I'm watching ds9.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

jessbeth wrote: »

I was watching the Episode last night when Harry fell in love with the Varro. I think it's one of the fifth season.

Today's episode was about them discovering they were bio copies :pac:

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Today's episode was about them discovering they were bio copies :pac:
    We're melting!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, it was so sad. I nearly cried ;)

ah I remember that episode, Course Oblivion, saw it on a friday, august 2006. That was a great episode for a reset. Basically it showed the reality, The Voyager crew would probably have died many times over. I remember thinking it was a total downer but good because of it as it was uncompromising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

From the very first episode I had a bad feeling it was going to be sterile like the frst two seasons of DS9 (ooooh, I can sense a wave of rage approaching). DS9 started off heavy on the god-like Prophets (and ended similarly, but with decent effect) and lo and behold, Voyager is whisked to Delta Quadrant by a god-like creature. Original.

Main reason it bugged me: every epsiode status quo was generally restored. No scars on ship or person. Very few deaths. Characters generally did not change over 7 years of what should have been hell (speaking of hell, Year of Hell was more realistic in terms of battle damage, personal anguish and permanent effect on crew).

Ron D Moore fell out with Brannon Braga over this, and went off and did a tiny little show called BSG. And boy was he right.

I did like the Doc, though his arc was too Odo/Data/Spock-like. Ooooh, aother non-human attempting to become and transcend humanity. Wow. Original.

Janeway grated because of that voice and because she always seemed ticked off haha. 7 of 9 was just eye candy and a waste of time. Chakotay was legendary at the start and was quickly neutered. Tuvok was Spock mk II, in almost a good way. The less said about Neelix the better. Kes irritated me. B'Elanna was constantly in her TOTM. Paris for some reason reminded me of Chandler Bing, always just slightly failing. Even the little swivelly nacelles...eh, hello, since when did pivoting nacelles affect warp fields??? Why didn't they permanently stand that way? Ugh, this was the next step fown from Lord Berman. Only Enterprise out-bored this show.

Coulda been something special. last episode, wow, another time travel episode, original.

DS9 FTW (and even that had a bumpy ride). BSG FTW

Janeway grated because of that voice and because she always seemed ticked off haha.
    Could have been worse...

7 of 9 was just eye candy and a waste of time.
    MMMmmmmm eye candy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ahhh...Voyager....potential and disappointment never went together so well in a Trek show before.

I liked the idea a first, going back out into the great unknown (where the Alpha Quadrant has pretty much covered) on a quest to simply to get back home.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work and I feel it was the beginning of the end for Rick Berman's 'Trek through the Stars'. I always regarded Voyager to be the weakest of the Next Generation spin-offs. There were countless wasted opportunities that could have made this show great. Among those are:

-The Getting Home Concept
    Far too often, the fact that they were trying to get home was ignored in favour of going off and doing something along the lines of normal Trek formula. Although the excuse that they were trying to find new technologies is used, it often felt like this core concept was abandoned for large gaps of the series.

-Janeway
    Her character was quite OK, but it never really developed all that much throughout the run. Although this had been touched upon once or twice, the strain of responsibility should have changed her in some form during the course of the series. Instead she remains a carbon-copy Starfleet officer. Morally upstanding...but a boring character in the end.

-Seven of Nine
    Yet another eye-candy character whose catsuit has more talent than the actress therein. We got a handful of episodes of character development at the beginning and then pretty much nothing for the rest of the run. This could have been a very good continuous arc of character-building, with Seven eventually becoming Anika Hansen over time. Instead we get Spock 3.2 with the catchphrase 'When I was in the Collective.....<Instert line here>'

-The Borg
    It goes without saying, the less you know about a nemesis, the better it works. We could have had an entire year of Voyager in Borg-space, with them running from cubes daily and trying to find new ways to save their necks...literally. But no...they skip the Borg space altogether and they become the special guest villain. Even when Janeway and Co. are caught and assimilated, they cheat and have a vaccination for it. So much for the Borg...just take your shots and you'll be ok....:rolleyes:

-The Maquis
    Star Trek's IRA! But no...they end up sucking. The whole 2-crew solution gelled far too quickly in my opinion. This should have been another development arc for the whole of Season 1 and 2.

-The Equinox Crew
    Where the hell did they go?!! The survivors remained on Voyager and were pretty good characters. It would have been interesting to see these people interact with the Voyager crew. They just disappear and are never used again.

-Neelix
    Going from oddball local to odd adult child. I just loved it when Q Jr. sealed his mouth shut.

-B'lanna Torres
    Why is it, when they bring in a female Klingon, she's usually half-human? A full-Klingon B'lanna would have worked so much better in my opinion!

-The RESET Button
    Oh yes. Voyager's greatest sin. No matter how much damage, no matter how limited the supplies or energy, The Voyager will ALWAYS be OK at the end of an episode. Again, a continuous arc of the ship getting worse (ala Year or Hell) would have worked really well in my opinion!

Anyways, that's how I feel about that.

One thing I'm confused about, in the last double episode Chakotay and Seven are dating. I also remember seeing the Episode where Seven was experimenting with the hologram Chakotay on the Holodeck. I just can't remember any episode in between where Chakotay asked her out for the first time.

Where did I miss that or did it occur at all?

I know it's a bit of a silly question but it's been bugging me.

Not at all a silly question, but a valid point on how poorly they handled most character relationships on the show. It did very much feel like, one day...nothing and then next, *bang* they're in a relationship. The match didn't seem right either.

Chakotay's actor Robert Beltran has often been quoted on how he disliked the direction and writing for his character and show in general. This may very well of made him a target for this last minute train-wreck of a plot development. (However that is just a guess of mine).

Yeah I did like the last two episodes but I thought they could have left the relationship completely out of it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye well it was there reason for not having seven or chakotoy in the future because really a leader of the maquie cell and an ex borg i dont care what admiral janeway says starfleet will have questions and what those two did when they got back to earth would have been difficult to write about/decide

Having them die resolved that issue and spead up the story in the future at the start (lol) because less time spent at the reunion

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sherifu wrote: »
    :eek: All you Janeway haters should count yourselves lucky that Kate Mulgrew eventually got the role!

never have I seen such wooden acting! Man the casting was diabolical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Mulgrew is a great actor, but Janeway was just a very bad captain, leadership and wisdom-wise. This could have made for great tension on the series. What about her botched attempt at bringing the Ferengi to book when Voyager found the Barzan wormhole? Utter incompetence. Lots of similar dodgy decisions.

I agree, she took insane risks, usually involving the complete destruction of the crew and ship. Great actress, terrible whisky cyclone voice, mentalist character.

I like Janeway, my favourite Captain has to be Picard though. I can't wait to see the new movie though, it's ages since there was a good Star Trek movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Great Janeway scene. So menacing:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I didn't really like Voyager but in fairness they did have a few good eps. I must also add that IMHO the Seven character was a little bit better than just eye candy (although its true that her outfits were indefensible)

Anyway IMHO the whole way they ended up in the Delta Quadrant was lame. Janeway just rolled over and did nothing to protect her ship and crew. If Kirk, Picard, Sisko or even Reginald Brocolli had been in charge of Voyager they would have been back in sector 001 by the end of the first ep.

AND was there ever a final count of how many shuttles they destroyed? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Janeway was only rivalled by Beverley Crusher in her ability to dumb down the technical dialogue of the show. A fact of Star Trek that Futurama parodied so excellently.

LEELA
    Hmm. If we can re-route engine power through the primary weapons and reconfigure them to Melllvar's frequency, that should overload his electro-quantum structure.
    BENDER
    Like putting too much air in a balloon.
    FRY
    Of course! It's so simple!

and then a little later.......

LEELA
    Its not working! He's drawing straight from our weapons.
    FRY
    Like a balloon and ... something bad happens.

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

That is woeful.

That is woeful.
    We had a lucky escape. How they picked her first i'll never know.

We had a lucky escape. How they picked her first i'll never know.
    I'm more surprised that the casting had gotten to such an advanced stage before they changed it. Literally everyone else is there! Postproduction appears to be done! I wouldn't be all that surprised if they had actually done most of the episode with her, put the pilot forward for green-lighting (where the network programmers probably went 'WTF?!! If wood could act, you'd end up with this actress'), and thus was rejected until they found a better actress.

I hold little regard for Berman-era casting. Lest not forget that the same people casted Seven of Nine and T'Pol's actresses for their 'credentials' more than any kind of acting ability.

Berman's thoughts: (On the season 1 DVD afair)

Berman's thoughts: (On the season 1 DVD afair)
    Berman has thoughts?!!:eek:

Sweet Jebus, can't the guy ever admit to screwing up? He picked the wrong actress, he made a mistake, fair enough. Instead...'We wanted to go in a new direction...'

(PS, fair play on finding that Sherifu)

Rawr wrote: »
    Berman has thoughts?!!:eek:

Sweet Jebus, can't the guy ever admit to screwing up? He picked the wrong actress, he made a mistake, fair enough. Instead...'We wanted to go in a new direction...'

(PS, fair play on finding that Sherifu)
    There's also a clip with one of the producers (forget if it was Berman or not) where they blame the other producers and say that Mulgrew was their first choice all along. I'll see if I can digg it out later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

That guy had the worst luck with women.
    The best friends girl...
    The hologram...
    The 3 hot women who wanted to kill him...
    The girl he got addicted to & had to go cold turkey...
    The Borg...
    The wrong twin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Its enjoyable but a lot of episodes have the same skeleton;

something breaks and needs repairing/replacing

some alien gives them stick

the crew ends up in deep crap but its not the reall crew its their slime clones/alternate time line/whatever

and of course holodeck malfunction

That said I'm enjoying it. It's quite a simple type of program where they just want to get home. Some of the characters could do with a bit more development alright. And yes 7 of 9's outfits - she might as well be naked. There's an episode where B'Lana and Tom get married (but not really as they are metal slime clones) and something goes wrong so Seven and B'Lana are going to go into a jeffres tube. We are given an extreme close up of Sevens arse along wiht comments along the lines of 'i don't see monogomus relationships as logical' or whaever. I thought fanservice was only in anime?

Advertisement