Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will/Has the recession make people more racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

asdasd wrote: »

There's a few here could do with reading that and not just the Liberals!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Seanies32 wrote: »
    No the problem is Racists will agree with his view. Not my problem.

so basically you're callin me a racist cos it suits your argument cos your taking what i suppose could be referred to as the "moral highground". He's right in what he's saying, you cant hack it so oh quick get out the racist card quick that'll put him in his box:rolleyes:

Iang87 wrote: »
    so basically you're callin me a racist cos it suits your argument cos your taking what i suppose could be referred to as the "moral highground". He's right in what he's saying, you cant hack it so oh quick get out the racist card quick that'll put him in his box:rolleyes:

LOL. Where did I call you a Racist?

Do point it out!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Is it just me or is racism the word just thrown around simply because we dont agree with certain things that directly involve foreign people.

Also its also kind of known people dont want to be referred to as racists so it shuts them up pretty damn quick, so what was goin on can continue without these "racists" speaking their bit trying to change this course of action.

Thats just what i can establish out of the amount of times racism is used in general media and general conversation

Strange enough isn't it, i made this point the other day and you called me a racist today, when you clearly dont know me or anything about me but reached your conclusion cos i dont agree with you

LOL. Where did I call you a Racist?

Do point it out!

I stated i agreed with his point.
    You then said only racists will agree with his point. read your posts you clown

• Advertisement

I stated i agreed with his point.
    You then said only racists will agree with his point. read your posts you clown

Only? Where?

I suggest you stop taking offense so easy.

I'm not a Liberal but Liberals would agree with my points. I'm more interested in fairness.

You aren't a Racist, but Racists would agree with your stance.

Clear enough!

Take your time reading a post before getting all offended!

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah!
    Somebody unable to refute what i'm saying so saying "racists" instead.
    Typical.

I said usually Racists go on about the minority of Welfare fraud to justify their position on all Immigrants.

Do point out where you refute that?

In response to your generalisation, generalise away!

Only? Where?

I suggest you stop taking offense so easy.

I'm not a Liberal but Liberals would agree with my points. I'm more interested in fairness.

Clear enough!

Take your time reading a post before getting all offended!

ok man fair enough sorry about the aggression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I know you read the guilt by association wiki. But it didnt sink in, did it?

gurramok wrote: »
    Ooh, look what i found: :)http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0113/breaking55.htm

2 lines to add to the discussion:

Quote:
    More than one in five, or 55,455 of those on the live register last month, were foreign nationals.

Over the last year 89,766 Irish nationals and 31,221 foreign nationals have lost their jobs

I thought foreign nationals represent around 10-12% of the general population or workforce, not 20%?

Its YOU who doesnt know the facts.
    The fact that something like 38% of nigerians were in receipt of welfare payments was a public talking point a few months back.
    Migrant workers who have lost thier jobs(as oppsed to asylum seekers),dont tend to claim benefits,they tend to head off home or somewhere else where there are jobs.

The above would suggest your assumption is wrong.
    asdasd wrote: »
    I know you read the guilt by association wiki. But it didnt sink in, did it?

Yep it did. What do you find wrong with my post previously?

Thing is, I'm applying it to myself and Liberals, So, I'm exempt! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I'd love to hear the views of some "foreigners" on this board.

Because so far all I'm hearing are different shades of two camps:
    1. Liberals who's hearts are bleeding for the unemployed immigrants and what's happening to female genitalia in the Middle East.
    2. Right-wingers who want all foreigners out of the country, and want to see an Ireland that stands tall, proud, white and homogenous.

Are there any foreigners contributing to this topic? If not, we might as well be talking about ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

markesmith wrote: »
    I'd love to hear the views of some "foreigners" on this board.

Because so far all I'm hearing are different shades of two camps:
    1. Liberals who's hearts are bleeding for the unemployed immigrants and what's happening to female genitalia in the Middle East.
    2. Right-wingers who want all foreigners out of the country, and want to see an Ireland that stands tall, proud, white and homogenous.

Are there any foreigners contributing to this topic? If not, we might as well be talking about ghosts.

What would you like to know?

An answer to the OP's question (though I think we have good evidence of the answer in this post): has the recession made Irish people more racist?

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

We never had multiracial society in hard times before. The future weeks will see an increase in tensions between outsiders perceived by those on the edge of society to be "taking our jobs etc." and those outsiders.
    Instead of being the butt of discrimination and ridicule from British and Americans when we Irish emigrated to these countries in our time of need we may similarly feel resentful of our immigrants and want rid of them in our turn.
    We must remember how our ancestors got work and money in foreign lands and largely succeeded in spite of racial attacks from some people.

Hopefully foreigners in Ireland will not be scapegoated for our economic ills.
    Those in secure employment and large paypackets tend to have a rosy picture of inter racial relations and think all is well between the races.
    Those on the edge, threatened with the dole at every turn, subsisting on marginal wages depressed by the threat of foreign competition now find themselves competing at the bottom for already scarce Social welfare resources.
    Naturally they feel resentful.
    It will be up to the government to be extra vigilant of how any money spent on aid to foreign people, whether in Ireland or elsewhere is spent or the people on the edge will vote for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

I'm a foreigner.

What would ya like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Unaton wrote: »
    I'm a foreigner.

What would ya like to know?

How embarrased would you be by this thread if you were Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

How embarrassed would you be by this thread if you were Irish?
    Not very.

The times are hard and people simply don't know what to expect -> resentment rises. I'd get all territorial as well if my job was on the line. Wouldn't go that far and label all these people as racist though.

doolox wrote: »
    Those in secure employment and large paypackets tend to have a rosy picture of inter racial relations and think all is well between the races.

Extremely valid point, and very succintly put.
    doolox wrote: »
    Those on the edge, threatened with the dole at every turn, subsisting on marginal wages depressed by the threat of foreign competition now find themselves competing at the bottom for already scarce Social welfare resources.

I must say, kudos to doolox here. This is a good, level-headed post. It's easy to snigger behind your copy of The Guardian when someone talks about Poles, Latvians, etc. And to the poster who was "subjected" (I'm paraphrasing here) to a torrent of racial abuse...

Well, racism is wrong, and racial abuse is wrong. All men are created equal. At the same time, these attitudes are shaped just as much by the current economic situation (and, of course, the Government's response to it) as they are by what some people like to gleefully ascribe as "lack of education".

Some of you seem more concerned in the welfare of foreigners than in that of your own people. Should you not be equally concerned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I said usually Racists go on about the minority of Welfare fraud to justify their position on all Immigrants.

Do point out where you refute that?

In response to your generalisation, generalise away!

This is the second post from you today that i'm unable to make head nor tail of.

Something about Racists(note the use of capital "R")?Yeah?
    Let me just tell you something.In this country there are people from Africa,Europe,Asia,North and South America and everywhere in between and EVERY SINGLE one of them harbour some form of prejudice against somebody else!
    Everybody on this planet has an opinion on neighbours,foreigners,immigrants yada yada yada.
    Are they all racists?
    Are YOU so perfect that you a)know everything there is to know about the human condition and b)the only person on earth who doesnt feel some manner of prejudice...to the extent that you can use the word Racist(again,capital "R"),like some sort of priest in a pulpit..damning those less enlightened?
    You dont know what you're talking about so go and level your allegations of racism against who actually cares what you think.

This is the second post from you today that i'm unable to make head nor tail of.

Something about Racists(note the use of capital "R")?Yeah?
    Let me just tell you something.In this country there are people from Africa,Europe,Asia,North and South America and everywhere in between and EVERY SINGLE one of them harbour some form of prejudice against somebody else!
    Everybody on this planet has an opinion on neighbours,foreigners,immigrants yada yada yada.
    Are they all racists?
    Are YOU so perfect that you a)know everything there is to know about the human condition and b)the only person on earth who doesnt feel some manner of prejudice...to the extent that you can use the word Racist(again,capital "R"),like some sort of priest in a pulpit..damning those less enlightened?
    You dont know what you're talking about so go and level your allegations of racism against who actually cares what you think.

Ignore list, he can't read either! LOL

Really should have done it when you where prattling on about Hitler pages back.

• Advertisement

Some of you seem more concerned in the welfare of foreigners than in that of your own people. Should you not be equally concerned?

That's a massive assumption though. If a foreigner has paid their stamp same as anybody else, they are equally as entitled to claim welfare. That seems to be a problem with a lot of people.

Unaton wrote: »
    Not very.

The times are hard and people simply don't know what to expect -> resentment rises. I'd get all territorial as well if my job was on the line. Wouldn't go that far and label all these people as racist though.

It's irrational though. Why be resentful of foreigners if your job is on the line?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Ignore list, he can't read either! LOL

Really should have done it when you where prattling on about Hitler pages back.

You lost the argument pages back..nice of you to admit it..oh yeah and stop treble posting.

You lost the argument pages back..nice of you to admit it..oh yeah and stop treble posting.

You provided sources that have been discredited and said migrants don't stay and claim welfare. I provided facts they do. All you have pointed out is welfare fraud happens.

The crem de la crem was referencing the Nigerian Govt. saying people where not fleeing Nigeria.

You are great entertainment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I must say, kudos to doolox here. This is a good, level-headed post. It's easy to snigger behind your copy of The Guardian when someone talks about Poles, Latvians, etc. And to the poster who was "subjected" (I'm paraphrasing here) to a torrent of racial abuse...

Well, racism is wrong, and racial abuse is wrong. All men are created equal. At the same time, these attitudes are shaped just as much by the current economic situation (and, of course, the Government's response to it) as they are by what some people like to gleefully ascribe as "lack of education".

Haha, I love this. I'd be pretty pro-immigration, in that I have no problem with people coming here to work if they want. But - shock horror- I'm not a "tree-hugging Guardian reader''. I'm struggling to find work and I'm in competition with cheaper labor as well. I'm certainly not bringing in a huge pay-packet. So I don't think being 'poor' excuses people from having a rant against immigrants.

Oh and the crappy economic situation doesn't excuse people from racially abusing others.

I don't think people who are anti-immigration should be labeled as Nazis or racists either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 titwank

What I just don't get is why I am always served last in the shop. People won't share their lunch with me and they won't put money in the collection bucket in mass. If people could just return to mass they would be united. Jesus is black, blue, white, red any colour you want him to be. Put jesus inside you. Deep inside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

K-9 wrote: »
    It's irrational though. Why be resentful of foreigners if your job is on the line?

Better to wait until you're unemployed like this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPS6vqigI8c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Yes, blaming the foreigners is such an easy response. It justifies not getting up off one's arse to correct the fact that there is no lack of resources, just a lack of sensible distribution of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Húrin wrote: »
    Yes, blaming the foreigners is such an easy response. It justifies not getting up off one's arse to correct the fact that there is no lack of resources, just a lack of sensible distribution of them.

Me agreeing with you could very well be the beginning of the end of civilization :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Would prefer to see all the culchies go back home and get out of Dublin
    Interestingly enough, I would love to see all jacks get the f*ck out of Meath, smelly b*stards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement