Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Rising III - The Nagorna-Karabakh Conflict - Spring 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Masada wrote: »
    Its been so long since I last signed up for this, does anyone know is there a way to check if i have payed already? I just wanna see what i have sorted and what i still have to do.,:)

your ticket is sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ghostwarrior

Lads,

How does Two nights a week sound?

Monday in the warehouse and tuesday in Hrta?

Suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I will hit the trainng when I can. I work odd hours. Lets make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Lads,

How does Two nights a weeks sound?

Suggestions?

Sure, I can make it mondays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

its a deal.,:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Lads,

Suggestions?

Bring loads of nice cookies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Lads,
    Suggestions?

I don't want to sound negative, because I really want to do this, but there's no point in doing it unless we do it properly.

In Wales, lots of the players are/were in the TA and have been playing a lot longer than us. In Sweden we're going to be up against regulars, draftees, people who play at 5J+ and some who've been airsofting for 10 years. We have some great individual players, but as teams we have an awful lot to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Lacertus

OzCam wrote: »
    I don't want to sound negative, because I really want to do this, but there's no point in doing it unless we do it properly.

In Wales, lots of the players are/were in the TA and have been playing a lot longer than us. In Sweden we're going to be up against regulars, draftees, people who play at 5J+ and some who've been airsofting for 10 years. We have some great individual players, but as teams we have an awful lot to learn.

Amen to that

What makes you think we wont be doing it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Oz, the hardest part of any team training is getting the team together to see how they interact. We may well end up with mixed assault teams because person A works well with person B, eventhough they are on different teams at home.

The biggest step is to see what our collective strengths and weaknesses are and take it from there. We have ex-military people with us too so their experience will be welcomed.

If nothing else comes out of this, it will at least get everyone familiar with the other guys style of play.

• Advertisement

Hey, just cheking,

is this how the contingent is looking at the moment?

No 1 Section
    The DOC
    Vtec
    Gerrowdat
    TommyBoy
    Dr.Pepper
    Fayer
    KDouglas
    Dar
    (Empty slot)
    (Empty slot)

No 2 Section
    Ghostwarrior
    Hawkeye
    Biohazard
    Mouse
    8Ball
    Helo
    Duchy
    Machine
    Cummins
    (Empty slot)

No 3 Section
    Kiwi
    AON 2
    AON 3
    AON 4
    AON 5
    AON 6
    AON 7
    AON 8
    AON 9
    AON 10

Unallocated
    Diceman
    Ozcam

I'm in S1.

we still dominated though didn't we :p

Ozcam is so down to earth, should I remind everyone how you were part of the 3 man outfit that stormed building 24 ;)

we still dominated though didn't we :p

We had luck, and some good players (not including me). We also made some big mistakes.
    Ozcam is so down to earth, should I remind everyone how you were part of the 3 man outfit that stormed building 24 ;)

Yes, thank you, but we were also part of the 20-man outfit that lost building 25 because 16 of them were p1ssing about and not paying attention.

I really don't like annoying people and being a PITA :rolleyes:, but if I have to do it occasionally for the benefit of the team, so be it. I should probably do it less often though.

Yes, thank you, but we were also part of the 20-man outfit that lost building 25 because 16 of them were p1ssing about and not paying attention.

True that, but in fairness they probably thought I was a looney when I was telling them I could hear people moving through walls, it did make for a very funny incident.

We did not then, and will not this time, has influence over any other squad or section. ( The effort trying to get other sections in to help you guys with your assault was ****ing head melting). Aslong as we are in tip top, the rest will either just do their own trick, or follow suit.

I am in now way anyway nervous this time round. Last year I thought i was going with the cream of the crop, but although theres was some serious high standards there, we were not far off.

And I've every confidence this year, we will be something to be remembered.

Come on we have Masada this year, with another 8 masada's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I have one space open in my car for senny bridge and I'd like to get bookings completed before this thursday.

Travelling Friday 3rd at 08.20am from Dublin Port, returning on the 2.30am (or whatever time it is) ferry from HolyHead on Monday 6th at roughly €89 per person (with a berth booked on the return trip)

Lemming wrote: »
    I have one space open in my car for senny bridge and I'd like to get bookings completed before this thursday.

Travelling Friday 3rd at 08.20am from Dublin Port, returning on the 2.30am (or whatever time it is) ferry from HolyHead on Monday 6th at roughly €89 per person (with a berth booked on the return trip)

The ferries we got last time were a lot less annoying, especially 2.30am monday ferry (unless you have something to do on sunday apart from sleep).

http://www.irishairsoft.info/index.php?title=PR3Ferries

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

gerrowadat wrote: »
    The ferries we got last time were a lot less annoying, especially 2.30am monday ferry (unless you have something to do on sunday apart from sleep).

http://www.irishairsoft.info/index.php?title=PR3Ferries

If I recall, you left early on Sunday in part due to the fact that the entire game went a bit on its ear due to the adverse weather conditions. That is most likely not to happen this time around.

TBH, myself and OzCam did the driving thing from Coventry back to Holyhead on Sunday evening (similar distance & duration to Sennybridge; 3.5 hours) for the monday morning ferry. I'd rather not be cutting my game short and then trying to rush off to try and catch a ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hunter1100

The group from cork will be more than likely be taking the monday morning ferry aswell.

Lemming wrote: »
    If I recall, you left early on Sunday in part due to the fact that the entire game went a bit on its ear due to the adverse weather conditions. That is most likely not to happen this time around.

TBH, myself and OzCam did the driving thing from Coventry back to Holyhead on Sunday evening (similar distance & duration to Sennybridge; 3.5 hours) for the monday morning ferry. I'd rather not be cutting my game short and then trying to rush off to try and catch a ferry.

We actually didn't need to leave early -- fishguard is about 2 hours from senny, we arrived mad early. You could probably leave at 11:30 or so and arrive in plenty of time.

• Advertisement

We actually didn't need to leave early -- fishguard is about 2 hours from senny, we arrived mad early. You could probably leave at 11:30 or so and arrive in plenty of time.

I'd be quite happy to kill the Sunday afternoon at one of the vintage railways on the way back up to Holyhead.

I'd need to get back home for work Monday morning, cant leave Shiva in the shop alone god knows what the old hoot will get up to :P

But its in the hands of A) Gerrout and B) the majority

I'd need to get back home for work Monday morning, cant leave Shiva in the shop alone god knows what the old hoot will get up to :P

But its in the hands of A) Gerrout and B) the majority

Well I have us booked into the ferry at 14:30 sunday so that's settled, lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭moggser

Well I have us booked into the ferry at 14:30 sunday so that's settled, lols.

how ya Dave don suppose ya'd know if there was any spots left with you lads?

This event is about 3 weeks away, so make sure if you're getting stuff from HK for here, now is the time.

I'm talking about comms, spare batteries, headsets (If you walk around with a radio with no headset, I will personally fling it into the nearest puddle :-)) and other and sundry stuff.

Also, you should have your ferry booked by now. Prices are going up.

Also, if you're leary about ferries and customs, read this : http://www.irishairsoft.info/index.php?title=TravelOnFerriesWithAirsoft

The IAA have a letter to keep in your car, identifying you as a recognised skirmisher travelling to PR3. Brian from Airsoft Reloaded has a few copies of this at the warehouse. If you need a copy, see Brian, or PM me.

Also, if you have an IAA membership card, that and a copy of your email from the event organiser will cover you for travelling in Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cplcummins

lads,

There needs to be a much better turn out for the training sessions for pr3, these have been set up for everyones benefit and will show there worth on the day, the drills are probably already second nature to our opposition and if everyone is not on the same page when this starts we will get torn apart. Hats off to johnny and co who have done a good job so far with the logistics of the event but I know from experience that it will all be for nothing if the practise sessions aren't done right,

Like everyone I want to go over and give my best and not show my team or even my country up, I want the opposition wiped out and I want to win, looking around at the names/experience we have already I have every confidence this will happen.

I'll be out tonight, and i would be free tomorrow if it is on :)

To take into account though some people have alot of work commitments.

I personally have to go from here, get two modes of public transport home, have 10 mins spare to eat and pack, then more public transport out to the venue.

Not an excuse, but you could understand if i just said " aw **** that"

But Im genuinely looking foward to attending tonight to learn some new stuff, and also meet the faces more importantly and meet who is going to be there in the event.

For those stressing about midcaps.

Ehobbyasia are selling midcap stanag pmags, for 70 euro, with 2-3 days delivery. If you are really stuck in a bind, grab em, they are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ASI Casper

Stuff to consider bringing. Not everything is essential. But all of it is worth considering.
    • Decent torch ( and batteries! ). This event will have much longer hours of daylight than PR2, but you'll still need a decent torch or headlight.
    • Decent sleeping bag & roll-mat. You may not intend to sleep during the event, but you'll find that what you intend to do and what you actually do may be two different things. And you'll need these for Friday night anyway. Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. 2 people from NI whom shall remain nameless, neglected to bring these at a previous milsim event and as a result had to sleep in plastic bin-bags on cold concrete. Don't make the same mistake. Whilst it will be a lot warmer than PR2, it will still be baltic at night. If you only have a thin / summer sleeping bag, you may well need two of them! Plan accordingly.
    • Basha / tarp / groundsheet / bivvy bag. When sleeping in buildings on Fri & Sat night, if it is or has been raining heavily, there may be water leaking into the rooms on some of the buildings as they only have very basic metal shutters over the windows.. This was the case at TA4 & PR2. So it would be wise to bring something waterproof to sleep on or set gear on.
    • Warm gear. You will be 350 metres above sea level in the Welsh hills. Even with it being Spring, it may be pretty cold during the day. It will likely be baltic at night. Especially when you stop. Outerlayers or underlayers, just make sure you bring them and hat and gloves. This is a 24hr airsoft game even with buildings, it may be pretty cold and can certainly be pretty wet, which leads me to...
    • Waterproofs. Well worth considering due to the fact that it's the Welsh Hills. Keep your eye on the weather forecast a couple of days before the event.
    • radio & headset. These are pretty much essential if you want to be able to find your squadmates after regening, as they may not be where you last saw them. Also essential for co-ordinating attacks. Headset is especially important. And don't forget spare batteries!
      At PR2, the hired PBRs caused interference with the PMRs people brought. As a result, nearly all the radios were out of action. Be prepared for something similar. Send runners with important info if necessary.
    • Map. You'll be issued one of these at the start of the game. Make sure you bring it out into the game with you even if you think you know the site. Anyone unable to identify their current position over the radio or unable to consult a map to make their way to a position / building number they're given over the radio, will likely be treated with the contempt they deserve. Do not rely on someone else to have one.
    • A hydration bladder / system. Underestimated by those that don't have them. Ridiculously useful for events like this. Camelbak ones are one of the more expensive ones for a reason btw. They represent good value despite their price as they're ridiculously good quality. Drink plenty of fluids constantly, not just when you get thirsty. If you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
    • More batteries for everything. Gun, radio, torch, camera etc.
    • Pistol. A secondary / backup weapon is pretty much essential for a low ammo-limit / CQB event of this nature.
    • Boots. Everyone should obviously already have these, but if you don't have comfortable ones you're going to be sorry by the end of the 24hrs. Two pairs of thin socks or a pair of thick socks may be a cheaper option though. An event of this nature is not the time to break in a new pair of boots!
    • More mags. In case it's not already crystal clear to everyone, this is a lowcap / midcap only event. NO high-caps. You should preferably have enough mags to take you up to your full ammo limit ( 600rds for most people ).
      Whatever you can't fit in mags, put in speedloaders if you can. You may have to reload under fire. Mag compatibility with your squad-mates is also something to seriously consider here.
    • Red-dot sight. These are incredibly useful for playing at night. Ever tried using iron-sights at night? Even if you have a decent torch, you won't be able to use it in all situations as it'll give your position away and would be an instant BB magnet. Red-dot ftw!
    • Sling. Obvious really. I'm assuming everyone already has one, but I'll say it anyway. Carrying a full metal AEG about for long periods is heavy work. And you'll need to be able to go hands-free without putting your gun down for various things ( when using grenades for instance ).
    • Kneepads. Again, obvious really. There'll be plenty of buildings and roads. That means hard tarmac and concrete. Kneeling on that is never comfortable. Kneeling on it when it's awash with BBs and pyro casings is even less comfortable.
    • Cheapo digital watch with a backlight or tritium illumination. This'll be very useful.
    • Stove & mess tins. If you want hot food and don't want to use the burger van, you'll need to cook it in your HQ / safezone.
    • Tools! Multi-tool, Hex-keys, screwdrivers, micro-screwdrivers and the like. In case of gun / gear breakage. Obviously EVERYONE doesn't need to bring these! Obviously a few spare parts would not go amiss either. Fuses for example.
    • Food & water! Unless you're planning on using the burger van onsite, make sure you get enough food to do you for the Friday night, Saturday & Sunday morning. Get plenty of water. There's a large Morrisons in Brecon. Parking in Brecon is a pain though. Best place is the car park on past Morrisons rather than Morrisons own car park.
    • Change of BDUs. If it remains dry, these won't be needed. These are for changing into if you get soaked, not simply for freshening up because you got all dirty. For those that have never been to a milsim event of this nature, you'll find that you may not have have time, or a suitable place to get changed unless you're soaked and really need them. A camping towel might also be a wise kit addition.
    • Toilet bag. There are no shower facilities at the event but some deodorant, tissues, wet wipes, tooth brush, etc are good to have.
    • Money. You'll need it for when we stop for food on the journey coming and going. And if you wish to make any purchases of pyros and BBs and so forth on site. And for purchasing food & drink supplies at the supermarket. Bear in mind although shops in the UK are legally obliged to take euros, that may not stop them refusing / arguing or looking at you like you have horns coming out of your head. So bring Stirling notes or withdraw from a cash-machine when you arrive in England. Also bear in mind that there's still part of the game fee ( £30 ) to pay upon arriving onsite.
    • Photographic ID. This is REQUIRED whatever transport route you're going!
    • If it's raining, something to put pyros in to keep them dry is highly advised. Perhaps just a single or double layer of clingfilm which can be torn off in a split second.
    • Black tape! Either electrical or duct type or both! Always useful for 101 things!

Things you should NOT do or should NOT need:
    • Tent. You'll have buildings to sleep in on the Fri & Sat night. A camping area for tents is being set aside for the event for those that want to bring tents though. When you've buildings though, a tent is just a lot of extra hassle and takes up boot space.
    • Your entire gun collection. Check with whomever is bringing you transportwise as there may not be room for ridiculous and unnecessary amounts of gear. You should have 1 reliable AEG as a primary and 1 pistol as a secondary. That doesn't mean no spare guns at all should be brought, but don't go overboard.
    • Do not bring food & water for the event with you. There will likely not be space for it in your vehicle if several people bring bags of shopping. Remember, you can buy all that stuff locally when you get there.
    • Fold-out camp beds and the like. Again, check with whomever is bringing you in whatever vehicle, as there may not be room for these. Rollmat and sleeping bag is the way to go, although, fold-out camp beds will keep you off the ground if it's wet indoors which it sometimes is.
    • Do not go out into the game with huge amounts of kit weighing you down. People are warned about this before every TA game and yet they still do it. Keep things light and tight. Do not bring anything unneccessary out into play with you or you WILL regret it later. This isn't a Sunday skirmish at your local site.
    • On a related note to the last point: Kevlar vests or vests with real-deal ceramic plates, forget them. Do not bring. You will regret it.
    • Folding spades, machetes, bayonets, fixed-blade knives and the like: Do not bring!
    • Do not under any circumstances put pyros in BDU pockets. Put them in webbing or vest pouches.
      If they are the 'striker' type ignition, do not ever put them back in your pocket or pouches after the striker top has been pulled off.

Oh, and the grub in The Wellington Hotel in the centre of Brecon is epic win. Especially the ribs ( T-rex ribs as we called them ). Highly recommended.
    Hope this helps guys.

• Advertisement

Epic re-post, Casper ;)

I always wondered what caused the problems with the radios last time, I knew it couldn't all have been my fault.

I concur with everything, especially the groundsheet, batteries and torch advice. Sunset and sunrise times are on the TA-events website somewhere.

Advertisement