Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Rising III - The Nagorna-Karabakh Conflict - Spring 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

O well the price was something I would only ever pay at an event like this, I would no way pay that price for something week in week out. For a weekly thing, I would stick with the pull pin ball grenades, 90 second smokes and thermo barracks.

But for a big event, and I mean something PR3 size, I would consider spending that much for a grenade. Then again, I decided against it, and went with the usual thermos, smokes and ball grenades.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

TheDoc wrote: »
    O well the price was something I would only ever pay at an event like this, I would no way pay that price for something week in week out. For a weekly thing, I would stick with the pull pin ball grenades, 90 second smokes and thermo barracks.

But for a big event, and I mean something PR3 size, I would consider spending that much for a grenade. Then again, I decided against it, and went with the usual thermos, smokes and ball grenades.

They are a bit pricey, but you get to keep them, after you have used them, to hang off your vest, or just for display.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

hrta wrote: »
    They are a bit pricey, but you get to keep them, after you have used them, to hang off your vest, or just for display.

Was never told that now : / That should really be something you get told when buying them. I bought one of the big boomers :) and to be fair there was no way I was strolling into the enemy building" wow hold on lads, need to get my souvenir"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

that was probably the most awesome airsoft event I have ever been at. From the arrival at dunlaoire to arrival in sennybridge, the crack was great (that kebab shop in brecon really needs to be avoided)
    Saturday morning arrived, and seamlessly, it was no longer the hawks or the ghosts, but rather 2-1 and 2-2, this was it, the Irish platoon (and afaik the irish flag was still flying over the platoon hq after we left)
    The games werre awesome, taking three hours just to clear one house was an experience, but i think it would be true to say that every task that the irish platoon was given, was achieved (and then some .....:))
    highlights for me were
    Gar giggling like a schoolgirl as wave after wave of armenian soldier crossed the sights of his 249 along his own personal kill zone by building 24 (we lost count )
    Realising we were out of bounds while chasing an armenian sf group and ian telling us we were ok as we seemed to be having fun
    Dar from 2-1 explaining why we had practically defeated the armenians by 5.30pm "Its just like call of duty - you have to unlock the easy level before you can play the hard level"
    But the biggest highlight had to be seeing how the two sections worked together and pooled resources when needed - Hawks played out of their skins and it was a pleasure playing alongside them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

brilliant weekend,fantastic site,it was a pleasure to watch the ghosts and hawks work their two sections,highlights of the weekend,gar giving his FSG instructions "as Gaeilge",ozcam working as a spotter for Alexander(Hommer) with his night vision,myself moggser and hawkeye doing overwatch on building 22 for over an hour seeing no action,hawkeye goes for a piss, two minutes later building 22 comes under attack from Armenian special forces and out of nowhere myself and moggser are joined by this maddest,baddest totally over the top english guy working as our special forces who ran out of ammo,so myself and moggser were throwing him our pyros to throw down on the armenians,

ps.a big thank you to stena ferries for being so effiecent that they left 10 mins earlier than scheduled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

DICEMAN7 wrote: »
    ps: a big thank you to stena ferries for being so efficient that they left 10 mins earlier than scheduled

Not only did they leave early, which was nice of them, but they left a checked-in vehicle with 3 passengers and declared RIFs unaccounted for in a secure port area. Arguing that we should have been there earlier doesn't get them off that hook.

I think our new friends in the Heddlu Gogledd Cymru (North Wales Police) will be having a little chat with someone about that in due course. They weren't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hawkeye1000

wat a great weekend.the highlights for me was chasing the chasing the enemy all the way through the forest and down the side of a hill while working closely with a british section 2 incircle the enemy down the bottom of the hill. me,diceman, and moggser holding building 22 for over an hour and half, i go 2 take a piss and its like world war 3 when get back 2 the building.
    other highlights wud be storming building 16 and 22. 2 nades in through the doors and about 20 lads storming into the building all at once. great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sounds like it was a lot of fun, shame i couldnt make this one, but theres always next year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Skatedude wrote: »
    Sounds like it was a lot of fun, shame i couldnt make this one, but theres always next year

Or October (I think?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭moggser

think its August
    heard that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

OzCam wrote: »
    Not only did they leave early, which was nice of them, but they left a checked-in vehicle with 3 passengers and declared RIFs unaccounted for in a secure port area. Arguing that we should have been there earlier doesn't get them off that hook.

I think our new friends in the Heddlu Gogledd Cymru (North Wales Police) will be having a little chat with someone about that in due course. They weren't impressed.

Different ferry, our one from fishguard left 10mins early

Lemming wrote: »
    Or October (I think?)

"The Uprising", currently scheduled for 8-9th August 2009, two weeks before Fireball.

It's in my calendar, all you had to do was click the link.

I think we'll go Rosslare-Fishguard next time. The total journey time is almost the same but the drive from Fishguard to Brecon looks a lot easier than the one from Holyhead, which, frankly, is a b@stard. More speed cameras and roadworks than sheep. I enjoyed the drive back, it was very challenging, but I don't feel the need to do it again any time soon.

moggser wrote: »
    think its August
    heard that anyway

Yea, heard August too, charity game, more details to come from TA in due course I assume

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭moggser

kdouglas wrote: »
    Yea, heard August too, charity game, more details to come from TA in due course I assume

im sure if we keep the mince pie's on the site we'll find out soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kjsaw

I've already planned on attending "The Uprising"

Excellent. I can see us getting an AusCam section together for that one.

Post by Ian on the TA forum:

May I start with thanking every single player that came to the event for making it a very special weekend.

But special thanks has to go to the following people:

Brett & Steve – the core members of the team.
    Jon Coles, Marcus Stacey-Bradbury and Mike Harrison for taking on the huge task of commanding each side and doing a fantastic job.
    Carl Silver for the sounds effects.
    Mark Goddard for coming down for the Friday and Saturday just to help where he could.
    TLSFX for the usual stonking good pyro and some excellent new pyro in the form of the 3rd gen stuff.
    The marshalling team; Sean, Matt & Si, Andy Stevens and the lads from UCAP, and Charlie Keller and the team Dark Angels.
    Loraines Kitchen for their excellent catering once again.
    Dave Manning (Airsoft Skirmish) for the tents and the shop.
    Jayson Sladen for the use of the quad bike.
    Plus anyone else that contributed towards the success of the weekends action

A very special thank you has to go to all those that helped with the cleanup of the site afterwards with emphasis on Sean, Matt & Si, Andy Stevens and the UCAP team.

And finally, it would be criminal not to say a special thanks to Julie, for her unconditional support both leading up to these events as well as during the actual weekend itself.

Ok let’s get down to business.

Armenia forces soon moved through the streets of the small town and made significant progress before making full contact with the enemy.

They fought hard and it was not long before their guts and determination pushed the Azerbaijan reconnaissance unit back to the northern outskirts of the town.

But by mid-afternoon Azerbaijan forces started to turn the battle around and it was not long before the Armenian force was on the back foot.

One lost fire-fight led to another as the casualties increased and the Armenian units started to take massive losses, with emphasis on the loss of command and control due to heavy losses of its commanders in the field.

By contrast, Azerbaijan medics worked hard to keep their commanders in the battle including well executed casevacs when required.

By early evening the Armenian covering force had been completely destroyed and the remnants had been pushed beyond the outskirts of the town.

What was left of the Armenian force withdrew to regroup and once they had been joined by a reserve unit they were ready to attempt a counter-attack against the enemy occupying force. At the same time an Armenian transport helicopter crashed in the area of pine woodlands north-west of the town.

An Armenian SF unit operating within the area was sent in to extract any survivors. Two teams were sent in which attracted some attention from the Azerbaijan’s for which consequently they sent a platoon to investigate.

Upon arrival the Armenian SF unit had found the helicopters pilot and was preparing to extract him when contact broke out. One of the SF teams began to extract the pilot whilst the second team carried out a delaying action on the Azerbaijan unit. What followed was an intense fire-fight both along the edge of the woodlands as well as within. But finally the Armenians were able to successfully extract the pilot.

Whilst the contact in the woods was unfolding the reinforced Armenian company started its counter-offensive and whilst the opening assaults were very successful primarily due to the intense rolling artillery barrage that ripped through the southern district of the town, the offensive ground to a halt nearly halfway through the town.

As darkness approached both forces settled in for the night as various fire-fights broke out during the evening and through to the early hours of the morning.

By first light both forces were once more exchanging rounds at each other and as the morning went on the intensity of the fighting increased, but no matter how much each side tried, neither were able to make any significant gains in ground….which ended in a stalemate.

Conclusion:

Well Armenia started very well in the opening hours of the weekend as well as throughout the afternoon, but by late afternoon this soon turned as the Azerbaijanis got a grip of themselves, settled down and started to win back the fight.

By approximately 1800hrs, the Azerbaijan force had completely dominated the entire town and the Armenians were forced to retreat and regroup.

An Armenian counter-attack was launched at approximately 1930hrs whilst an SF extraction mission took place in the north-west outskirts. The opening offensive started well and a foothold in the town was established.

Although the SF mission was highly successful, it was not enough to pull back the losses from the retreat witnessed only a few hours beforehand.

The evening was evenly balanced as well as through the night time fighting. But finally this too was dominated by the Azerbaijanis as the action wound down by 0300hrs.

The following day was fought hard by both sides, and neither was really able to push the other back too far before counter-attacks quickly re-gained lost ground. So the Sunday morning action was seen as a level pegged fight.
    Ultimately victory could only go to one side ……

AZERBAIJAN

Once again, a massive thank you goes to all the players that attended. As an organiser I can only set the stage, for you guys to do what you do best…..make war!!!

I look forward to many of you again at Steve’s charity game in August which TA Events is pleased to be sponsoring.

As for the next TA Events game….well stay tuned for something around October….Location: TOP SECRET.

Oh and finally the Purple Heart award goes to one of the Azerbaijan players (who shall remain nameless), for having a fight with the corner of a building and receiving 3 stitches for his efforts. But he was back from Hospital on the Saturday evening and back in the fight the next day. Now that is what I call commitment!!!! .... however, if I receive a bill for the damaged wall then I will be sending it his way! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

photos from the event just a small slid show at the moment

http://www.fraghaggis.co.uk/PR3/

love the one of 3 guys in dpm and the ball grenade in mid flight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Puding wrote: »
    photos from the event just a small slid show at the moment

http://www.fraghaggis.co.uk/PR3/

love the one of 3 guys in dpm and the ball grenade in mid flight :)

Some really savage pics there man...:)

• Advertisement

pictures have nothing to do with me im afraid, was a very nice guy going the pictures all for charity aas well

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

Firstly thank you Ian for such an amazing event! I'll be back for the next one for sure.
    Secondly I wanna say what a honour and privilage it was to be part of 2nd platoon. Congrats to all sections! Hawks you guys were EPIC.
    Ghosts yuo guys were AWESOME. 3 section you guys were somewhere...:D. Together we were Epically Awesome?!!
    Airsofting is gonna be different for me from now on!!
    So many high points and memorable events...Dr. Peppers pistol charge on 22,The successful assault on 22, Going deaf during said assault while dodging boomerang grenades and watching a mad English medic try throw his live grenade again after it missed the window the first time-his reasoning being "better it blow up in my hand than falling into my face mate":eek::D, Seeing 30 enemy run into a single building preparindg a mass assault and being denied an airstrike then hearing that building 14 which I was in was about to be hit by an enemy airstrike and running for it only to lose my team and see smoke being deployed instead of the strike- D'oh! , Patrolling with Johnny, Duchy and Dar through the woods , hearing some activity and bumping into an allied section pursuing enemy special forces and joining in...truly enjoyable as I got a confirmed hit on one of the sf!! Then we bumped into the rest of my section 2-2 who I lost earlier and we went on to ambush a sh*t load of enemy massing behind a building near the tree line....What an event!!!:cool:

Some fantastic photos there, Puding. He caught the Tricolour in the wind much better than any of the rest of us.

I may have to seriously consider getting a set of DPDU.

the guy had an excellent eye , we are purchacing a full set of the weekends pictures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

there a great set of photo's. he really knows what he was doing.

Very happy to see the tri colour photo too, I'll defo be buying a copy of it. there was a few people who had their back stabbing opinions on me errecting it, (who can go f*&k themselves for that matter) but im delighted it was recognised and that it was also the only flag flying high in the vilage. :)

Puding: do ya know if thats all the pics or if their is any more due? cheers by the way.

there are a lot more pictures, the slid show is just a placeholder i believe,

once the full set is ready he will release details, for the full set you get in contact them make a donation to the charity, once this is once he will send the pictures out on a dvd i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

Masada wrote: »

Very happy to see the tri colour photo too, I'll defo be buying a copy of it. there was a few people who had their back stabbing opinions on me errecting it, (who can go f*&k themselves for that matter) but im delighted it was recognised and that it was also the only flag flying high in the vilage. :)

Puding: do ya know if thats all the pics or if their is any more due? cheers by the way.

Keep the flag flying Masada, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Masada wrote: »

Very happy to see the tri colour photo too, I'll defo be buying a copy of it.

There's actually a couple of photos on that slide show with the flag clearly on display; the aforementioned one and there's another looking down on the courtyard from the opposite corner with the flag clearly on show.

Can't remember how far into the slide show the other shot was but you'd spot the flag as soon as you saw the picture.

FragHaggis (the photographer) was offerin ga service whereby you could flick through the pictures on a couple of laptops in the church/admin centre and bring a pen-drive with you and get the photos you wanted there and then. I think I may do that next time.

FragHaggis (the photographer) was offerin ga service whereby you could flick through the pictures on a couple of laptops in the church/admin centre and bring a pen-drive with you and get the photos you wanted there and then. I think I may do that next time.

we had a look yourselves, it was a good set up, we just thought getting the complete lot was a nice way of saying thank you to the guy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

i wasnt having a go at you richie about the flag but rather the fact that it was originally a ball of material on the roof. I was proud as punch when it was then mounted on a pole and remained there for the rest of the game. I hope it stayed there - i would dearly love to see some squaddies face when he returned to work to see that :) (no offence to mod staff - its a cracking site)

Advertisement