Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Rising III - The Nagorna-Karabakh Conflict - Spring 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Utreg wrote: »
    LOL! As like in Southpark when all the famous black stars started moving in...?:D

Not seen that episode, but I'll claim kudos anyway ;)

Now, a qusetion to those who have been before;

To pig? or not to pig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Renius

This event looks absolutely amazing! Ill have to start getting my load out sorted in preparation as i'm seriously considering heading over to this! when do tickets go on sale? And do you stay fighting into the night or does everything stop at the end of the day like a normal skirmish site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I'll go again, provided the weather is a bit better than last time. Heck, I might even go again if it's worse, now that we know what to expect.

We wrote down the lessons learned from PR2, they just need to be tidied up a bit. The main ones are:
    • play as a team, not as individuals
    • have better officers above
    • bring GoreTex or other wet weather gear
    • bring a camp bed to get you up off the wet floors
    • don't take the same frelling building time after time after time

It will be great training for Berget.

Renius: Last time the game was scheduled to go on for 24 hours, but because of the weather and the fact that there were only 12 or so players still active, the marshals very sensibly suspended the game from 23:00 to 06:00. It resumed from 06:00 to 10:00 but a lot of players left early on Sunday morning, including us. I expect we'll do the same again because of the ferry times.

OzCam (and/or others), how viable is soemthing as big and heavy as the M60 in Sennybridge?

Or to put another way, did you guys miss having support fire? or was it that urban (read: confined and tight) that it made little odds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Interesting, I think financial constraints permitting I'll attend this, sounds deadly.

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    OzCam (and/or others), how viable is soemthing as big and heavy as the M60 in Sennybridge?

Or to put another way, did you guys miss having support fire? or was it that urban (read: confined and tight) that it made little odds?

IMO, and more experienced players may differ, is that an M60 will be very useful, but only with proper squad tactics. There are plenty of places to use it (like denying avenues of approach), and we will probably be attacking from the woods next time if the scenario is reversed. There is house clearance to be done but it's not the only thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

Just wondering what the ammo restrictions are like, may have to purchase another gun if they are low, it's just way to easy for my gun to eat up the pellets

For PR2 there was an ammo restriction of 600rd per person (2,000 for support gunners). You can resupply back up to the limit at the respawn points. You can carry any number of mags, but they have to be mid or low-cap.

Full details of the restrictions will be on the TA-events website nearer to the event, there's no point in clogging up the thread with questions until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lemming, the M60 was sorely missed. There was some serious instances where we needed heavy fire but didnt have it.

Theres enough buildings,roads, ditches etc for it to be worthwhile brining.

Ozcam mentioned a few points, our CO was terrible and went missing all the time, nothing we can do about that.

And our units movement suffered.

So id advise, before you arrive, arrange with ian the respective sections and platoons, and get the people in charge beofre you get there.

If ian throws any others onto your team, they fall under the command.

our CO was terrible and went missing all the time

Foxhole Norman?

"You look after things here sergeant, I'll go for uh... help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

We could have done with a few more snipers, actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

This is all the more reason to get my full licence...

I'll be driving over for this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Ozcam mentioned a few points, our CO was terrible and went missing all the time, nothing we can do about that.

And our units movement suffered.

Lets just admit it, our CO legged it after 5 min of game play. Doc stood up and started barking orders (very well), as we had no comms to command (they were under what ever rock the CO was) Doc ran to the next building under fire to co-ordinate an attack on the pumping station which was a key turning point in the game.

I vote Doc for CO.

Right lads i'm pretty damn serious about heading over to this. How does it work teams wise? do you have to organise to be part of a team before you leave or do you just turn up and join a side?

fayer wrote: »
    Lets just admit it, our CO legged it after 5 min of game play.

And there was me, making the charitable assumption that he'd forgotten about us...

Yes, we need a few snipers. Scope & radio are as important as range.

The other thing is Ian will be our company commander at Berget. We need to do two things:
    a) put your fingers in your ears when he shouts WAZZUP!
    b) stick to him like sh!t to a blanket so we can get used to each other.

Most of the NATO ops in Berget will be on platoon or company scale, so we need to get used to operating as squads and above.

Renius wrote: »
    Right lads i'm pretty damn serious about heading over to this. How does it work teams wise? do you have to organise to be part of a team before you leave or do you just turn up and join a side?

Glad to have you.

No, you don't have to be part of a team before you go, though obviously it helps if you've played with people before.

Whether you'll be playing for the AZ side or the AR side depends on what camo options you have. Details will be on the TA website in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

OzCam wrote: »
    Details will be on the TA website in due course.

They already are: http://ta-events.co.uk/events/phoenixrising/pr3/

There is a wealth of information in the threads about PR2. There's no point in reposting this stuff until nearer the date. Lemming and I will no doubt be re-checking the logistics before then.

Enjoy. The Search engine is your friend.

Bookings and Info

General discussion

Note: ammo limit for support gunners has increased to 3,000. New medic rules.

PR3 Rules

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Ozcam :) Once i sort out my us woodland camo gear i should be good to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

sounds great, can not get to bergat so looking forward to this :)

Yeah, I'm definately on for going to this, planning on bringing my RPK and working in a fire support role (seeing as it's my usual airsoft role). Sounds like between that and the "Pig" we could have a decent FSG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Whippee!

Its looking like we'll have a serious squad of great players heading to this. :)

cant wait.,

It might be an idea for dave and some of the other lads that were there the last time, to post up a do's and donts of what to bring, what to do, what to not do this time round etc.,:)

I know theres the obvious stuff but im sure it'll save a lot of people bringing things that probably didnt see use last time.,

Snipers you say? i had heard it wasn't a site where snipers would come in handy, although i'll keep that in mind, I reckon it would be my sort of thing.,:)

vtec wrote: »
    It might be an idea for dave and some of the other lads that were there the last time, to post up a do's and donts of what to bring, what to do, what to not do this time round etc.,:)

I'm sure we will. Probably not today though, there's no point, it'll just get lost in the noise.
    vtec wrote: »
    Snipers you say? i had heard it wasn't a site where snipers would come in handy, although i'll keep that in mind, I reckon it would be my sort of thing.,:)

It actually is, and you'll be very useful if properly employed. It's mostly urban, so you won't be climbing trees, but there's a lot more elevation on the site than it appears from Google. The clock tower is usually out of bounds, but there are plenty of other high buildings and overwatches.
    And you'll be able to upgrade your rifle as we leave territorial waters ;)

Under the game rules, your minimum range is 25m and your maximum effective will be about 70, weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Tommyboy71 wrote: »
    I might be able to make this myself.

Count me a definite for this. I am off that weekend. Have to get in some squad-based training before Berget.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭ASI Casper

OzCam wrote: »
    Under the game rules, your minimum range is 25m and your maximum effective will be about 70, weather permitting.
    'Weather permitting' being the key phrase here. The weather at PR2 was most unsuitable for sniping due to the strong winds and low visibility during the few daylight hours.
    The weather in April is likely to be much better than at PR2 and there will obviously be considerably more daylight hours. PR1 was in April '08 and we had a 328fps sniper with us and they had a ball.
    I just wouldn't count on being able to snipe at PR3. Especially with it being the Welsh hills.

I think its fair to say I was the most unprepared of the group to PR2.

Also it should be mentioned there was a number of others attending pr2 besides our contingent, the likes of nakedhedgehog i believe and more. So theres a wealth of knowledge to be banked into this.

COMMS are essential. Every man needs them. Its obvious. I do not need to burden this point.

Comfortable backpack.
    For pr2 we could bring ammo with us and reload on the move, not this time. But there was occasions where we camped in buildings for two hours then in a moments notice was on the attack. You need something with space but is also comfortable.

Food.
    Keep it simple and healthy. You dont need mad mre ration packs.
    I had a fine time with Knor spaghettit bolognase that needed hot water, nature valley bars. There is a food van there supplying breakfeasts burgers, coffee etc. You will have time to go back and get some munch no problems.

Water
    Hydration pack of bottled water. Dont do a gerrout, bring water. And dont do a bloody me and do 15 cans of red bull.

Sleeping.
    Building in sennybridge flood quickly and easily and are awfully cold. Bare minimum is a roll mat and a warm sleeping bag. I had my ****ty dunnes kit, but did me fine. If you can afford to get something to elevate you even a few inches of the ground, your in the lap of luxury.

Sections,platoons.
    You will be assigned into a section, then into a platoon. ( i think.) PR2 consisted of 10 men to a group, spearheaded by a commanding officer. This officer has a direct comm link to HQ for receiving/giving information orders etc.
    Ideally, this 10 man unit should stick together. However, as in our case, cohesion may be lost quickly and it might be required that the unit is split.
    There is good numbers this time, so ideally, you will know most of your unit. In this unit, ideally.
    Platoon Leader
    Second in command
    2 nd squad leader

Three chains of command will do fine, granted this is only for a unit that consists of ten men you know. So in the event of rank going awol, being hit or maybe a split is required for an objective, theres someone leading.

Think long and hard who you want leading, as sennybridge is a different animal, theres intense firefights, pyros, and usually your manouvre can affect an entire game.

Weight of gear
    Take great care in what you bring, how you setup your chest rigs etc, and what aeg you bring. You do not want to be encumbered with lots of equipment weighing you down. If your attacking ( multicam side) you will need to be able to breach fast, jump windows, fences, ditches and hit the deck fast. You dont want to be doing this with the kitchen sink if you catch my drift.

Defenders can take some what more weight, the likes of lemming, whole ill assume has woodland type attire, can find himself carrying the pig, cause he will have the advantage of setting up a position and stabalising.

Pyros
    Pyros are available on site, in the church building for sale. They are good quality, however, when they get wet they can be troublesome and basically fall apart. If you are going to bring pyros, invest in something waterproof to carry them. Also, we were like kids in a candy shop when we got in and went mad.

Ideally, decide among your squad who is carrying what etc. Remember dont over do it, you cant bring them back to ireland.

Hit taking,cheating etc
    This goes without saying... there was some contingents of pr2 that cheated like ****, but what you going to do. When you lose all your lives you usually make your way back to the spawn point. This is a great time to reload, get a drink, relax and grab a bite to eat. So take your time , no need to rush back in. This isnt a sunday skirmish, theres 100 other team mates to help out.
    There is ample opportunity to cheta in fairness, marshalls arnt everywhere. But as HRTA paul can tell you, he received sterling compliments from the organisers regarding the irish boys, both northern and southern. So id like to see this continue and have no one acting the bollox :D

Thats really everything i can think off.

I went to sennybridge, in the mist and rain, for 24 hours, with
    Multicam shirt
    Multicam Trousers
    Thermal T shirt
    Thermal Trousers
    Multicam backpack
    8 instant spahegthi bolognase
    15 cans of red bull
    60 john player blue
    I fired 40 rounds in the whole weekend

And i had a ****ing blast :D

Btw, its milsim. I found it added some serious fun factor when i took it serious and roleplayed, refered to my CO as Sir, as I did other platoon leaders. You will find most allie forces willing to co-operate ( as id to go gather two other platoons to organise an assault) and it all adds to it.

So go enjoy, I'll be there again, this time with preperation

(and 10 cans of red bull this time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ghostwarrior

<snip>

so what are the numbers at this event

• Advertisement

100 each side.

Tickets, I dont know when they go on sale. Announcement will be made shortly i would imagine.

I'll have to run numbers on this to see if i can realisticly go, alot of saving to do.

Also, since i went pr2, I think its fair Dex and Vtec should get priority, I know shiva has mentioned he cannot go. So I might just make myself available for work depending.

Dex really needs to go to one of these events, the world needs to see " Gucci"

Advertisement