Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Rising III - The Nagorna-Karabakh Conflict - Spring 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Defenders can take some what more weight, the likes of lemming, whole ill assume has woodland type attire, can find himself carrying the pig, cause he will have the advantage of setting up a position and stabalising.

I'll indeed by US Woodland-ing it. And you could well find yourself facing down the barrel of the pig :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah...you aint experienced Fayer in wales have you :P

Strike force alpha lol

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

you aint experienced Fayer in wales have you tongue.gif

Il have to keep up the rep!

Il be bringing my head mounted night-vision this time around, will make a big difference. Torches are OK and essential, but in combat useless, they wreck your natural night-vision and give away your position. Whenever anyone switched on a torch they were met with screams of "turn that f###ing light out"

Once they kill the flood lights the game changes totally, people can be 2 feet from you before you know their there, as we found out while on guard duty on the door of building 6 and found some bloke dropping a fizzing nade at our feet as he strolled past !

fayer wrote: »
    Il have to keep up the rep!

Il be bringing my head mounted night-vision this time around, will make a big difference. Torches are OK and essential, but in combat useless, they wreck your natural night-vision and give away your position. Whenever anyone switched on a torch they were met with screams of "turn that f###ing light out"

Once they kill the flood lights the game changes totally, people can be 2 feet from you before you know their there, as we found out while on guard duty on the door of building 6 and found some bloke dropping a fizzing nade at our feet as he strolled past !

Sounds familiar to the night games at the GZ weekender in 2007. I couldn't see sh*t. You'd see tracers, or a light and just fire. Usually accompanied by a howl or silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Beginners, note that this event is MilSim, not your usual Saturday afternoon skirmish. It's a 24-hour event and is not for the fainthearted. You can always take a break, but the game doesn't stop every hour or so.

First-timers, it's in the Welsh mountains so it can be cold and wet at any time of the year. You must bring suitable clothing, stuff you can layer up and layer down. There are a lot of Scouting and outdoors type people in the crew and you will be dragged out of the game if you are a danger to yourself (ie, turning up in a t-shirt). Mountains are beautiful, but they bite.

Which side you play on depends on your camo choice, and vice versa. Alpha-4-1 were all wearing Multicam. Hedge and his crew, and the Nordie :) ASI Boys were all wearing green and were on the opposing team. You may need to think about this when booking time approaches if your clothing choices are limited.

Also, please read the rules before posting a question, in case it's already answered there.

... theres a wealth of knowledge to be banked into this.

I will be posting the Lessons Learned in the Booking and Info thread when it opens shortly.
    Building in sennybridge flood quickly and easily and are awfully cold. Bare minimum is a roll mat and a warm sleeping bag. I had my ****ty dunnes kit, but did me fine. If you can afford to get something to elevate you even a few inches of the ground, your in the lap of luxury.

The buildings in Sennybridge are concrete and don't have windows. When we were there everything was wet, floors, walls and ceilings. If you don't want to bring a cheap camp bed, a groundsheet of some sort is essential. If you don't want to buy a basha or hoochie just for this event, any piece of tarpaulin about 2x3metres will do as long as it's waterproof. The difference it will make to your comfort and morale is amazing.
    If you are going to [buy] pyros, invest in something waterproof to carry them.

Ziplok freezer bags work fine for this. You should always have a few handy anyway.
    This goes without saying... there was some contingents of pr2 that cheated like ****, but what you going to do.

In fairness, I also saw several instances of people taking hits that were marginal, and one hit given by a marshal which I thought was very unfair in the circumstances. There was one group that seemed to have a different definition of hit to the rest, but overall I saw no more and no less cheating than any other game. It all balances out, and the next time we'll call in an airstrike on them. It's primarily a game of honour, after all.
    Whenever anyone switched on a torch they were met with screams of "turn that f###ing light out"

Correctly met with screams of "turn that f###ing light out NOW". There, fixed that for you :)
    people can be 2 feet from you before you know their there, as we found out while on guard duty on the door of building 6 and found some bloke dropping a fizzing nade at our feet as he strolled past

I've worked out countermeasures to that, it won't happen again. Says he, darkly.

• Advertisement

Phoenix Rising is back!

[background blurb deleted...]

Location: The Celieni Village, SENTA (Sennybridge Training Area), Wales
    Date: 4/5 April 2009
    Price: 85GBP
    Places available: 200
    Tickets release date: Monday, 2 February 2009
    Website url: http://www.ta-events.co.uk/pr3

SYNOPSIS

Advanced elements of the Azerbaijan and Armenian forces clash in a small town deep within Nagorno-Karabakh region.

FORCES

Azerbaijan Army - 100 players
    Desert DPM, TriColor, Multicam, ACU
    Description: Reconnaissance elements of an Azerbaijan light infantry battalion have been tasked with moving forward ahead of the main body which is about to launch a major offensive against the Armenian frontline.

Armenian Army - 100 players
    Green DPM, such as British DPM, US Woodland and Flectarn
    Description: An Armenian infantry company has been tasked with moving forward to create a screen in which to delay an enemy advance while prepared defences are being built. Their objective is to delay the enemy's advance until the main force is ready to meet the enemy.

KEY GAMING ELEMENTS
    • Fixed command posts located on the outer perimeter of the village will be used for central planning by command staff. These will be located near each force's regen area.
    • Large tents wil be used at the regen point where ammunition and other supplies can be stored. Power will be provided for battery charging. Maps of the village will be provided for teams to carry out the planning of offensive and defensive operations.
    • Strict ammo limitations will be back for PR3 but in order to facilitate the flow of the game Forward Operating Bases will be used within the game. This will mean that each side can allocate a building to act as a FOB where additional supplies can be stored and players can use this building to re-arm. But if the building is overrun by the enemy then the supplies are lost (returned to regen).
    • KIAs will be counted and enemy KIAs will lead to force bonuses. Bonuses include artillery support, airstrikes, UAV sweeps and medical supplies.
    • This event is about the clearing and securing of a small town preceeding a large offensive. All buildings in the village will be allocated points and at various times during the event these building points will be allocated to the force which is currently occupying the building.
    • Standard medic rules will apply in general but to add a new twist, special and more realistic rules will be used for all command elements within the game. Take out a commander and it will have a serious effect on the enemy's command, control and communications.

[Posted here for the benefit of those not on the TA-Events email list. Don't forget to read the rules. B.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

This sounds fantastic and would love to go. Have been running some figures though, ticket price, ferry (x 3 pax), b&b for friday night??, food.....looking at a minimum of about €350. That's an expensive weekend and will have to talk really nicely to the misses.....:rolleyes:

Will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

sci-ops wrote: »
    This sounds fantastic and would love to go. Have been running some figures though, ticket price, ferry (x 3 pax), b&b for friday night??, food.....looking at a minimum of about €350. That's an expensive weekend and will have to talk really nicely to the misses.....:rolleyes:

Will wait and see.

You can camp in the buildings or there's a campsite.

When we went last it went something like:

150 - ferry
    ~70 - Fuel
    85GBP - ticket
    30GBP - Pyros
    30gbp - Random ****e, grub, ec.

So about 350-400 all told, including ticket.

- DoC

sci-ops wrote: »

Will wait and see.

You know you want to :D

gerrowadat wrote: »
    You can camp in the buildings or there's a campsite.

When we went last it went something like:

150 - ferry
    ~70 - Fuel
    85GBP - ticket
    30GBP - Pyros
    30gbp - Random ****e, grub, ec.

So about 350-400 all told, including ticket.

- DoC

Filthy filthy lies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

You know you want to :D

Oh, I know I want too Stee...........but we both know what N would do to me....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i'm still intrested in this, the only real issue is getting there, i'd rather not drive as its always nice to be able to have a few beers on the way home. and besides, i 'm not sure i can get on the ferry with out leaving my exhaust behind( lowered 740).
    saying that, where did you plan to get the ferry to/from and how far of a drive is it? If i do drive, i have a huge car to carry people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Skatedude wrote: »
    i'm still intrested in this, the only real issue is getting there, i'd rather not drive as its always nice to be able to have a few beers on the way home. and besides, i 'm not sure i can get on the ferry with out leaving my exhaust behind( lowered 740).
    saying that, where did you plan to get the ferry to/from and how far of a drive is it? If i do drive, i have a huge car to carry people

To be honest, after 24 hours of non stop game, the last thing you're really in the mood for is drinking... it's more a case of get home and go asleep. If you were planning on going for a few drinks Sunday evening I'd recommend having somewhere in Wales to stay Sunday night and get the ferry on monday instead.

We got the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead last time, think it was about a 3 hour drive or so (maybe 3.5) from holyhead to sennybridge. Coming back we decided to get an earlier ferry from Fishguard, which was less than 2 hours drive from Sennybridge but the ferry from there only goes to Rosslare so we had another 2 hour drive back to Dublin when we got off the ferry.

Skatedude, c'mon man, we spent hours doing all the research last time... the least you can do is look through the previous threads. Make an effort :)

flights and ferries, including driving times (which you can also get on maps.google.com). Maps of the site are on page 10.

Fayer, DOC, kd, gerrowadat & myself went from Dun Laoighaire and back through Rosslare. We came back through Rosslare rather than wait until 02:30 the next morning for the Holyhead ferry. Hedge & his crew went Rosslare out & back.

I'll update the transport info nearer to the date and post it then. I don't expect much of it to have changed except for the ferry prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭DICEMAN7

anybody thinking of carpooling?

I'll be driving and can probably take two. Think I'm full up at this stage though. I'd be on for mad convoy action.

10-4 rubber duck lol

going by the posts for ph2 renting a mini-bus //coach is a no no

DICEMAN7 wrote: »
    going by the posts for ph2 renting a mini-bus //coach is a no no

Yeah, too much bother, and too expensive. Just doing a 3-car line is waaaay cheaper. Assuming you have cars already. I think we were assuming it was going to be some sort of epic all-day drive, when it's actually no worse than driving to cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I will be driving and should be able to take 1 other. Space in my car is limited. I will be going from Kildare.

• Advertisement

i'm still intrested in this, the only real issue is getting there, i'd rather not drive

I'm planning on driving over, and you live reasonably close to me if I recall, so there's a spot available for you

Epic Bailage!

Final exams start 2 weeks after this.... Could be a problem!

Commence abuse....

<--- still humming and hawing.

Must run some logistics and see what money im looking at, see if i can spare the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭wormbyte

Hello guys.

Some of you may of tried to register on the TA Events forum in the past but have not got past the registration page because the CAPTCHA image was not appearing.

Well this has been fixed so feel free to register if you wish to.

And btw; thanks for the support guys, it will be great to see so many of you there.

Ian ... out

Epic Bailage!

Commence abuse....

You're not even worth it.

Epic Bailage!

Commence abuse....

There he is...da du da du...bailing like a hurricane...da du da du

Do your best. We need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

hopefully there will be 3 or 4 heading overer from cork

You realise this just means you're getting it even worse when you eventually and inevitably bail?

• Advertisement

gerrowadat wrote: »
    You realise this just means you're getting it even worse when you eventually and inevitably bail?

Yea, at least im trying, putting my education on the line, not that you have much of one of them Doc :rolleyes:

Advertisement