Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Island hopping in Greece!!

• 13-01-2009 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hey, i had a thread up here about my summer and was thinking bout going to canada but.....now its Island hopping!!

Any one any advice, comments or suggestions as to where to go, etc?? Would be really helpful for planning our trip!
    Were looking for good night life Islands seen as we are 19year old girls! Excluding Crete though!

Thanks!xxxx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JOE RIFF RAFF

oOoOn@gh wrote: »
    hey, i had a thread up here about my summer and was thinking bout going to canada but.....now its Island hopping!!

Any one any advice, comments or suggestions as to where to go, etc?? Would be really helpful for planning our trip!
    Were looking for good night life Islands seen as we are 19year old girls! Excluding Crete though!

Thanks!xxxx
    GIRLS TRY MEXICO CANCUN ONE OF THE ISLANDS GREAT NIGHT LIFE THERE BUT TRY 3 WEEKS YOUL LOVE IT ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 susie-q

I done that 2 years ago and loved it. Flew into Athens then went to Aegina (basic nothing special) from there to Paros (great irish bars) on to Naxos (nice sunset and nytlife) Then Ios you have to go there and stay in far out if only for the experience but book that accommodation now other wise ur stuck in bed tents-not good, try get their bungalows. Then santorini -i didnt like that too much reminded me of Ireland with all the boy racers. Theres alot of travellin by boat so hope u dont mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bmcgov86

first things first-island hoping is amazing.

did it 2 summers ago for a total of 6 weeks, defo my best holiday. we flew to athens, cheap enough flights with aer lingus. we then got a train down to a place i think was called pireaus or something like that. from there we got a boat to crete. crete was kinda full of scumbags but still a laugh. from there we went to paros but left after 2 days cos it was way too quiet and we wer on holiday to party. saying that i h ave heard paros can be good, just not when we arrived. anyway from there we went to ios, and cos we liked it so much we ended up staying there until the end!! a lot of people go down to the far out or whatever its called, we stayed in the 'town'. we stayed in a few different places there, one called george's place was great. some dont have pools but we just srolled into another places pool and no one notices, especially if u buy lunch by the pool or something.
    the nights out there are mad, its like an old town on a hill with loads of little alleyways, real old fashioned but its great. theres a little square with a load of bars. i had heard all about this square before i went but didnt expect it to be so small, about the size of a classroom!
    another thing we did while in ios was go on a day trip on a pirate ship, there was about 20 of us so we hired it out and they brought us to some isolated beach for a bbq, graet day.
    so anyway what id say is try get a few of the islands in before u go to ios, otherwise ul end up like us staying there until the end!
    oh yea and the boats are great over there, u can usually book them on the day and they are as regular as dublin buses but never late.
    enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Darraggh

Well looks like im headin Island Hopping frm reading hw much craic it sounds...

Was plannin on headin Crete or some where for 2 or 3 mnts n wrkin out there n prob end up livin on a beach durin the day n wrkin/drinkin durin nite this summer but 6 or 7 wks of island hoppin sounds bit of Craic..

Any advice on hw to book flights accomadation n all that sort of stuff.. Did ye jus book a flight out wit aerlingus or watever ones go n then have a rough idea of where ye want to go n wen ye get there jus decide on wer to hit nxt wen ye get sick of the place youre in and if ye wana come home jus book a flight wen youre out there ????

Did ye end up gettin jobs or jus rob banks out there to fund yourselfs ?? Any idea hw much it would cost for flights and accomadation ???

Sounds deadly but as usual makin the plans happen is a pain in the love spuds so any advice at all Please......

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Did this years ago and it's a good laugh for the nightlife etc.

We flew into Athens and stayed a couple of nights in Hotel Alma which was basic enough, but pretty central. Really liked Athens. You can go see so many ruins of the Parthenon etc. The metro system there is amazing too!

We got a ferry very easily to Hiraklion in Crete. Nothing much to see here except one of the world's first toilets!!! If it's nightlife you're after (I know you said not Crete, but I might as well tell you in case you change your mind!) then Hersonosis is pretty good. We were living in Stalis, a tiny town smack in the middle between Hersonosis and Malia. Stay clear of Malia, it's horrible. Stalis is quite nice, but quiet compared to the other two aforementioned places. Hersonosis is just like Galway, I was bumping into people I knew all over the place, it was like Supermacs on a Saturday night (ugh!) THe beach that goes from Hersonosis through Stalis to Malia is gorgeous!

There's a few other places like Agios Nicolaus in Crete which are pretty spectacular too. We got a ferry from here to Ios. The ferry only goes the odd day when the seas aren't too stormy, so bear this in mind for island hopping on a tight schedule. Ios is brilliant! The beaches in Ios were a lot stonier and pebblier (if that's a word!) than Crete, but the island itself is great craic. We had an apartment at the very top of this HUGE hill which was pretty excruciating every night so don't make that mistake, but I'd defo recommend Ios as a place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 susie-q

We flew into athens for about €300 but shop around ul prob get that much cheaper. ferries are reasonable cheap unless u opt for a fast boat that'l cost more.
    Spent a month there and all and didnt wrk but looking back now u prob shld cuz the whole lying on a beach everyday thing does get bit boring..

beware.. Dont get a taxi after 5 on a saturday in athens. We were lazy and decided to get a taxi instead of a 10 minute walk and it cost us €50 at least.. and at that we got out and had to walk bout a mile to get to the metro cuz we cldnt afford the fare... good times

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

yeah, get the metro, don't get taxis in athens! there was a big group of us, so we took two taxis from the airport drop-off (it was a short walk but we had bags and didn't know where we were going). The other taxi cost about a fiver in total but ours kept going until we realised he was taking us around in circles, then wouldn't stop when we asked. cost us a small fortune in the end

Advertisement