Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maybefriends.com

Options
  • 13-01-2009 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I havnt been member said i dating agency for over a year but i was amazed to hear from a friend that,in spite of plummeting memberships,the owner has decided to up the cost of a month's membership from 20 euro to 22.95 per month.
    To put this in perspective, www.woo.ie is free and www.midsummerseve.com is also free with the option of paying 6 euro a month for special membership.
    Also the owner of maybefriends suffered a kick in the knickers when she tried to host a halloween event charging 30 euro perhead...nobody went!
    Jill McGrath..you're a greedy woman.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nobody has to pay it at the end of the day, people should always vote with their feet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Cabaal wrote: »
    Nobody has to pay it at the end of the day, people should always vote with their feet

Is that your default replly to everything?
    "At the end of the day" people shouldnt be overcharging in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

Thanks for the free ones degsy, hadnt heard of them before.
    heres another freebie
    www.efriends.ie
    TOTALLY FREE!
    Garry

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Degsy wrote: »
    First, I agree its a high charge. But as with Cabaals comment, theyre not overcharging, theyre CHARGING. The difference being youre not forced to pay, and they are entitled to set whatever price they want. I could set up a website and make people pay €1000 to look at it. Its stupid, but its not overcharging anyone.

It may sound simple to say vote with your feet, but if these people have set their price too high, they will soon notice a downturn and either reduce or go out of business. Its market forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I havnt been member said i dating agency for over a year but i was amazed to hear from a friend that,in spite of plummeting memberships,the owner has decided to up the cost of a month's membership from 20 euro to 22.95 per month.
    To put this in perspective, www.woo.ie is free and www.midsummerseve.com is also free with the option of paying 6 euro a month for special membership.
    Also the owner of maybefriends suffered a kick in the knickers when she tried to host a halloween event charging 30 euro perhead...nobody went!
    Jill McGrath..you're a greedy woman.

I know as if these lonley people haven't enough to deal with.

try plentyoffish.com seems a lot of the folk on Personal Issues that have trouble finding women through normal avenues use this.

enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sorry how are they overcharging, they decided to introduce a monthly fee, if you like it that much pay the fee if you don't then leave its not rocket science

Its a company and like all other companys its in it to make money, nothing illegal about what its doing

ntlbell wrote: »
    I know as if these lonley people haven't enough to deal with.

try plentyoffish.com seems a lot of the folk on Personal Issues that have trouble finding women through normal avenues use this.

enjoy

You should give them a try so..or are you permanently embittered?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Suppose if a person was desperate enough they'd pay 22.50 a month alright. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Sherifu wrote: »
    Suppose if a person was desperate enough they'd pay 22.50 a month alright. :pac:

they may not be desperate - I know a guy who was on maybefriends and shagged about 10 women off it within about 2 months or so.. said it was like shooting fish in a barrel. So I would say the only rip-off was some bird's knickers. Would seem a reasonable cost for somewhere you got that much action from..?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

who007 wrote: »
    they may not be desperate - I know a guy who was on maybefriends and shagged about 10 women off it within about 2 months or so.. said it was like shooting fish in a barrel. So I would say the only rip-off was some bird's knickers. Would seem a reasonable cost for somewhere you got that much action from..?
    Yes, I know a guy too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Sherifu wrote: »
    Yes, I know a guy too...

lol!!! touche! :D

they may not be desperate]

sorry I meant hard up.

You should give them a try so..or are you permanently embittered?

Sorry, but I'm not the one complaining about the price it costs to try and find "like minded" people on the internetz ;)

That happened me too.
    Theonly thing was the subscription used to be 15 euro a month..its been ramped up by too much out of greed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FullHD

The price has gone up?
    Thats a good Irish indication that their subscribers are bailing out.
    A bit like the government (nobody is buying so lets increase VAT)

Great to see that there is some 100% FREE sites available.
    Spread the word about the FREE ones and that will get rid of the GREEDY ones.

garrycs69 wrote: »
    The price has gone up?
    Thats a good Irish indication that their subscribers are bailing out.
    A bit like the government (nobody is buying so lets increase VAT)

Great to see that there is some 100% FREE sites available.
    Spread the word about the FREE ones and that will get rid of the GREEDY ones.

The heyday of that site as a social entity (similar to boards) was 4 years ago.
    It has been hemmoraging subscribers steadily ever since as the admin insisted on overcharging into events,leaving organisers out of pocket and upping the subscription fees.
    As i've said she attempted to host a halloween ball last year for which the tickets were 30 euro a pop.
    It had to be cancelled because nobody was willing to pay it.
    Her answer to this failure?Ramp up the sunscription by another 3 euro a month..just like the publicans she's going to wonder where it all went wrong.

Advertisement